Tell me about DC water pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about DC water pumps

My van has a regular AC water transfer pump that I turn on and off with a switch. We got a DC for hubs' trailer. From what he is reading if the water isn't flowing it just stops running which would make sense since that's how motorhomes work. Is our assumption right? If we have a hose that stops flow is that all that will be needed to operate it?

Yes, a DC style water pump found in most RV's are "on demand". There's always pressure on the pump, so when you pull the trigger on the hose nozzle, it feeds water, then shuts off. The only problem I found is if you leave the pump on and there's a drop in water pressure or a leak somewhere or if your fresh tank is empty, the pump will run continuous until it's fed more water. I found some days my groomers left them on and the pump was running all night dry. It was hot, but not damaged.

DC pumps are much cheaper ($70 or so) and require a simple hookup to a battery and a switch to turn on and off. I prefer DC pumps and that's all you will find in a pro built van like Wagn Tails.

Comment

What Tom said.

You have to listen carefully for occasional "humming" sounds more like high rpm burping - as its the telltale sign of a leak.

I wouldnt use anything else in a grooming vehicle.

Having better luck with flojet than surflow.

UD

Comment

Thanks guys. I should have asked about this a long time ago lol! Not only will hubs be using it, but I will switch over too.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
          What Tom said.

You have to listen carefully for occasional "humming" sounds more like high rpm burping - as its the telltale sign of a leak.

I wouldnt use anything else in a grooming vehicle.

Having better luck with flojet than surflow.

UD
          uncle dave
          if your a using a wag n tails pet pro - what model of the flow jet are you using
          i have a pump that i cannot get any longer on mine.
          thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X