Wanna see a squished grooming van?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna see a squished grooming van?

Pictures of my very first mobile grooming conversion 20 years ago. A friend helped me complete this,business was taking off, and BAM! A 20' circumference tree fell on the van.

I had dumped every dime I had into this and had a 250 dollar a month yellow pages bill (don't forget 20 years ago everyone advertised in the yellow pages). I only had liability insurance. My insurance broker never mentioned there was any other option. I was out all that money. My landlord didn't have homeowners insurance. I was screwed. I had to beg and borrow from every family member I could to get another van on the road ASAP.

My friend thought I was joking when I called him and told him what happened. Fortunately he was and always has been an awesome friend, and said, come on down we'll do it all again.

This was literally the worst thing that ever happened to me in my life. However, it turned into the best thing! Guess who worked at the car lot where I bought the new high top van to convert? Yep, my hubby of 19 years.
    Attached Files

Wow no saving that van.

Comment

That thing was smashed! But there was a silver lining as you met your DH.
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Holy Toledo........were you able to salvage any of your equipment in the back of the van ? Now-a-days.....people would sue the landlord regardless if he had homeowner's insurance or not.......

Happy watching Judge Judy

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
          Holy Toledo........were you able to salvage any of your equipment in the back of the van ? Now-a-days.....people would sue the landlord regardless if he had homeowner's insurance or not.......

Happy watching Judge Judy

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
          Oh I totally did, and lost. He is a member of the good ol' boys club in our town and extremely wealthy. It would have been a pittance to him to throw me 5K to get rolling again, but no. Even with a TON of proof including pictures of the trees limbs, which were 7-8 feet in circumference themselves, coming down before (only in wind where we moved our vehicles, this time no wind just an old rotten tree). An arborists testimony that the trees were badly trimmed (at least at one time, they hadn't been touched in the ten years I lived there), rotten and on an old unused irrigation canal which at one time provided them with enough water to sustain their giant size and were just a disaster waiting to happen, they ruled it an 'act of God'.

Comment

Oh and as far as my equipment, just the personal stuff which was up front. I actually ended up having the engine taken out of that van and put in the new one as it wasn't running at all. It was crazy how I found the next van, I was looking in the paper, perusing every used car lot in town and our neighboring towns and couldn't find one at all. I just happened to drive past this RV parking place and saw this old high top van. It didn't have license plates on it, so I thought maybe the owner would want to sell it. When I called the number it happened to be the car lot. They had taken it in on trade from this old miner.

The conversation went something like, I'm interested in that blue pop top van in the RV parking area, would it be possible to contact the owner to see if he would sell? Oh well we own that actually, but I don't think you would want it. It doesn't run. That's OK I can put an engine in it. Oh well, it is full of garbage, and is so filthy....... That's OK I'm going to gut it anyway. Well, if you want it.... I do, I'll come take a look. The thing didn't even have four matching wheels, let alone tires. To say it was full of garbage was an understatement. Think hoarder on wheels. I was up to my knees in old newspapers and peanut butter jars, oh and dog hair lol! I told the guy, I will give you 500 dollars out the door. No taxes, no doc fees, nothing. Just 500 and you work out how it has to be spent. That was the day I met hubs. He wasn't my salesman, but was sitting in the office. I asked if I could leave the van there for a few days while I brought a pickup to empty the trash out before I had it towed over for the engine swap. Hubs came out while I was cleaning it out and we just hit it off.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
              Pictures of my very first mobile grooming conversion 20 years ago. A friend helped me complete this,business was taking off, and BAM! A 20' circumference tree fell on the van.

I had dumped every dime I had into this and had a 250 dollar a month yellow pages bill (don't forget 20 years ago everyone advertised in the yellow pages). I only had liability insurance. My insurance broker never mentioned there was any other option. I was out all that money. My landlord didn't have homeowners insurance. I was screwed. I had to beg and borrow from every family member I could to get another van on the road ASAP.

My friend thought I was joking when I called him and told him what happened. Fortunately he was and always has been an awesome friend, and said, come on down we'll do it all again.

This was literally the worst thing that ever happened to me in my life. However, it turned into the best thing! Guess who worked at the car lot where I bought the new high top van to convert? Yep, my hubby of 19 years.
              Wow! One of my biggest fears. That is some impressive destruction. I guess every cloud does have a silver lining!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

OMG thank god you were not in it.

Comment

Smooshed and squished!

Comment

That is one trashed van. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Heavens at first I thought you were in this thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X