Xantrex panel malfunctioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xantrex panel malfunctioning

I have both the generator and inverter system in my 2011 WGT Pro. Inside the van, the Xantrex panel, that monitors the inverter system and turns on/off the generator, started to malfunction, with one button not working. Since the next button does the same thing, I can function easily with the inverter system. However, the generator now stops at will, displaying the message: Generator Cool Down, External Shut Off, or Generator Won't Start. The Onan repair guys said that the generator is fine, and that it is the panel sending wrong messages to the generator. This Xantrex panel is no longer being made and there is no version comparable to it. My options is to get a whole new inverter system with a new panel....or get someone to install an on/off button exclusively for the generator . The Generator people say they don't do this type of work, and referred me to another company that does RV and truck repairs. This company has horrible reviews online. My regular RV place is booked up until June 3rd, where they will have a "look and see" what is needed, then reschedule for the job.
    Meanwhile, The only option I have now is to disconnect the panel wiring from the generator and manually start the generator by going outside and pressing the on/off button. So far, the generator starts and stays on 95% of the time.....it's that 5% that makes my hair go gray !!

My biggest question is do I put $3-4K for a new inverter system in a 5 year old van, or do I trade it in for a new one? ........ Or....do I put in tons of $$ for the RV people to rewire and install an on/off button and just hope that the Xantrex panel continues to allow me to operate the inverter system.

Happy going nuts

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Well you know you are at the right place to get some input from our mobile experts. Good question IMO.

Comment

Dolly, I'm no expert at this but did you call Wagn Tails for help? They must have a way of getting parts because they take trade in vans like yours and re sell them in working order.

Does your generator shut down on its own sometimes? Cause you said 95% it stays on.

Comment

- can you get me some model numbers?

Ill do a bit of digging Ill contact the local RV places and see if I can find anything

Id say if you have an otherwise solid well maintained rig that I would not replace the whole rig because of a bad inverter- if there are other issues well then you know whats best...

UD

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
          - can you get me some model numbers?

Ill do a bit of digging Ill contact the local RV places and see if I can find anything

Id say if you have an otherwise solid well maintained rig that I would not replace the whole rig because of a bad inverter- if there are other issues well then you know whats best...

UD
          Sorry...the panel is called Zantrex NOT Xantrex.....my mistake

The panel is only called: Zantrex RC/GS Remote Control/Gen Start

I've searched the internet, the Zantrex company just says that it has been discontinued with no other panel that duplicates it......they sell numerous other panels.
          Because it has been discontinued, no other sites offer it. It's something that an RV place would not have on their shelves, since it doesn't seem to be a popular panel for RV's. My RV place also did a search, with no hits.

Happy spelling correctly

Comment

I have both the generator and inverter system in my 2011 WGT Pro. Inside the van, the Xantrex panel, that monitors the inverter system and turns on/off the generator, started to malfunction, with one button not working. Since the next button does the same thing, I can function easily with the inverter system. However, the generator now stops at will, displaying the message: Generator Cool Down, External Shut Off, or Generator Won't Start. The Onan repair guys said that the generator is fine, and that it is the panel sending wrong messages to the generator. This Xantrex panel is no longer being made and that they do not have another version comparable to it. My options is to get a whole new inverter system with a new panel....or get someone to install an on/off button exclusively for the generator . The Generator people say they don't do this type of work, and referred me to another company that does RV and truck repairs. This company has horrible reviews online. My regular RV place is booked up until June 3rd, where they will have a "look and see" what is needed, then reschedule for the job.
            Meanwhile, The only option I have now is to disconnect the panel wiring from the generator and manually start the generator by going outside. So far, the generator starts and stays on 95% of the time.....it's that 5% that makes my hair go gray !!

My biggest question is do I put $3-4K for a new inverter system in a 5 year old van, or do I trade it in for a new one? ........ Or....do I put in tons of $$ for the RV people to rewire and install an on/off button and just hope that the Xantrex panel continues to allow me to operate the inverter system.

Happy going nuts

Comment

So basically this panel is an auto start stop device that reads your house banks voltage and decides when to start - and when the bank hits its target SOC it shuts off the genset.

Never even heard of" Zantrex" with a Z - the company with an X is pretty good.
              Sounds like "zantrex"built an aftermarket auto genset start stop kit that wgt used for a while.
              Im surprised Jamie can't help you out.

As long as you can control the inverter itself without this panel id just remove it and wire a remote start stop to the inside of your rig and something like a Balmar, or trimetric monitor and manually start and stop etc genset your self - problem solved.

Most rigs DONT have auto genset start stop anyway.

Now as to wether this pushes you into a new van if a few K is a lot cheaper than a new rig...

UD

Comment

Where are you at now Dolly with this?

Comment

Any update, Dolly?

Comment

Im zeroed out. Feeling bummed I can't help.

UD

Comment

Working...
                    X