We took the leap - Relocating our mobile grooming business to SoCal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We took the leap - Relocating our mobile grooming business to SoCal

After five years of building a very successful high end Mobile Grooming business in Northern NJ we have decided to take the concept and the van on the road to sunny Southern California. We leave for our cross country trip this Friday. Wish us luck.

Our reasoning was part impulsive and part well thought out business plan with demographics, spreadsheets and cost analysis. We were at the single van client capacity here in Northern NJ. We charged exceptionally high grooming rates and had culled out all the dead clients. We were a super efficient grooming machine on wheels LOL Our choice was simple stay and grow, hire and purchase a second and third van. Our van a Hanvey MB Sprinter van was paid off in under 5 years and we had enough capital to purchase a second van. We started the hiring process, which I posted about its difficulty, in finding qualified MOBILE groomers.

So we either stay in the rut and try to expand in a location honestly that we were unhappy living in. The winters ( although this year was exceptionally mild ) have been very harsh and makes Mobile grooming a weather dependent business. Or we could take all that we have learned and grow the business from a location that we both would love and no longer be tied to a weather dependant business.

We researched rates and competition and the sheer overwhelming volume of pets in SoCal. We picked a location that would be less competition and had the affluence that we are used to here in NNJ. Certain items would be less expensive and other items would be more. But on a whole it would be less expensive to operate in SoCal by far.
    We have a significant war-chest to sustain ourselves until we can build clientele properly and selectively. Who knows expansion may be a lot easier there than it has been here.

So last week I changed our website to reflect our new location www.groomserviceinc.com as well as our company facebook https://www.facebook.com/GroomServiceMobilePetSpa/ our yelp page https://www.yelp.com/biz/groom-service-mission-viejo

We moved all of Groom Service social media and location specific marketing to Mission Viejo California. The response from the locals has been nothing short of amazing. We are getting grooming calls and we are already booking appointments for the first week in May. Look out Cali here we come

Good for you to get out of the oppressive northeast. New Jersey is becoming an exodus due to cost of living and taxes. New York is losing many small businesses also.

Welcome to the west where the sun always shines and grooming is yearround busy, no snow and ice on the roads and plenty of clients to go around for everyone. Plus as a bonus you have Teknopet minutes away from you to take care of your vans. Best of luck.

Comment

Congratulations groomservice I know you will continue to do well.

Comment

Welcome to SoCal! Mission Viejo is lovely, that's a good choice. And yes, being close to Teknopet will be invaluable to you.

Comment

Congratulations and I wish you the best of luck.

I'm just going to make an observation about your website. It seems to be all about you. You are in the forefront of every single picture, even leaving a dog on the table with your back turned to him. In another the dog is looking adoringly at you, and again, you are ignoring it. A seemingly dirty, ungroomed dog. Is that really the picture you want to portray? I would not call you if I were looking for a groomer.

I really try not to be negative but this just really jumped out at me. Nice fancy website, not a single picture of dogs you have groomed.

Comment

ha ha. I noticed the same. I was curious to see some of the pets you groomed. It's a very professional-looking upscale site, just kind of low on photos of groomed pets vs. being high on photos of the attractive owner
            Anyhoo, you're successful so you know what you're doing, just mentioning it because it really jumped out at me that I didn't see pets but did see lots of groomer.
            Good luck with your move. I moved East Coast to West Coast, then back again. Very different culture, but so beautiful out in CA. Have fun!!

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post

I'm just going to make an observation about your website. It seems to be all about you. You are in the forefront of every single picture, even leaving a dog on the table with your back turned to him. In another the dog is looking adoringly at you, and again, you are ignoring it. A seemingly dirty, ungroomed dog. Is that really the picture you want to portray? I would not call you if I were looking for a groomer.

I really try not to be negative but this just really jumped out at me. Nice fancy website, not a single picture of dogs you have groomed.

Comment

Nice fancy website, not a single picture of dogs you have groomed.
              Not ONE single photo ???? I guess you missed the pets section http://www.groomserviceinc.com/#!grid/c1cbc or the video with Trevor giving hi-fives and getting bathed ? http://www.groomserviceinc.com/#!video-2/cymd

As with most things there is whole lot more to the images in that just that one series with my own dog. Anyway a little more info on the photos with my own dog Pepper that cause you to become "concerned". Pepper past away last year at the much loved and cared for age of 17 ( she was probably 12 in those photos ) We started using Square credit card service, and reached out to them and they did a little profile on our business. A professional photographer and assistant ( dog wrangler - not seen but off image ) produced those nice photos. The dog was never in any danger as there was my husband and the dog wrangler just out of the shot. Besides I "know" my own dog and would never use a customer's dog for the photo shoot.

I'm always resistant of putting images of before and after images on websites or social media because of comments like this form other groomers. I have seen fire storms of people enlarging and zooming in on other groomers works so they can show a single hair out of place. Nature of the industry so to speak.

In the end our customers have loved and used us exclusively for years and are very sad to see us leave. We have tons of heartwarming reviews so we must have been doing something right. I'm sorry you saw what you thought you saw and felt so adversely that you had to let us know. We always look at comments and critiques with an open eyes and thank you for your opinion. We've been talking about putting more photos of our SoCal dogs, so thank you for the suggestion.
              Groomservice
              Puppy Member
              Last edited by Groomservice; 04-19-16, 03:12 PM.

Comment

It didn't upset me, it was an observation. I figured it was your own dog No matter how much you loved him or how long he lived, who was standing beside him out of sight, nobody can see that. What I see is a dog who is being summarily ignored, who isn't clean and isn't groomed.

As Emma said you've clearly been successful so more power to you. And yes I did watch the video.

Comment

It didn't upset me, it was an observation. I figured it was your own dog No matter how much you loved him or how long he lived, who was standing beside him out of sight, nobody can see that. What I see is a dog who is being summarily ignored, who isn't clean and isn't groomed.

As Emma said you've clearly been successful so more power to you. And yes I did watch the video.
                  Odd most people look at the photo and see unconditional love you saw ignoring. Nevertheless it's always good to look at things with fresh eyes and my husband is the web guru, so he already adjusted the gallery to be less focused on the Square photo shoot, he's pretty proficient web designer so if you ever want help with yours. Again thank you again for your keen observations.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyinAnaheim View Post
                    Welcome to SoCal! Mission Viejo is lovely, that's a good choice. And yes, being close to Teknopet will be invaluable to you.
                    Thank you so much for the reference to Teknopet, one last thing on our list crossed off

Comment

Originally posted by Groomservice View Post
                      Odd most people look at the photo and see unconditional love you saw ignoring. Nevertheless it's always good to look at things with fresh eyes and my husband is the web guru, so he already adjusted the gallery to be less focused on the Square photo shoot, he's pretty proficient web designer so if you ever want help with yours. Again thank you again for your keen observations.
                      I did see unconditional love, on the dogs part. I guess you missed that when I first posted.

Just as an FYI, I asked my husband last night. Hey look at this and tell me what you think? He said, it's all about her, and oh look there is a dog in the back completely unattended. Swear to you I did not preface my question with anything to give him any bias.

BTW saw the other pics, nice improvement, except the cat who is clearly stressed in that picture, open mouth and eyes dilated. Though most people wouldn't realize that. It's like people who think panting dogs are smiling. No, they are either hot or stressed.

Comment

Have a wonderful time being negitive. I think we are done with this forum. The sad part is you don't know truly what the facts are you just assume and conjure up things that aren't there. Especially sad is the accusation that any animals were ever mistreated psychologically or otherwise.

Have a wonderful day I guess 19 posts is our limit.

PS: Your website ... you know what, we don't want to be infected with negativity, let's just leave it at bless your heart you tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Groomservice View Post
                          Have a wonderful time being negitive. I think we are done with this forum. The sad part is you don't know truly what the facts are you just assume and conjure up things that aren't there. Especially sad is the accusation that any animals were ever mistreated psychologically or otherwise.

Have a wonderful day I guess 19 posts is our limit.

PS: Your website ... you know what, we don't want to be infected with negativity, let's just leave it at bless your heart you tried.
                          Oh don't go. Cockerlvr was not being rude or didn't make any accusations. She shared an interpretation of what she saw, just opinions. She wasn't putting you down.

Comment

Don't go. Some of the people I used to feel offended by on this site are now the ones who I value the most, because I've gotten to sort of understand them over time. I now feel fond of people who I used to block, ha ha, and one of the reasons I value them so much is that they're blunt people who have a different viewpoint than I have. People who agree with me are great, but the ones who don't bring a lot of value!

Comment

I just checked out your website (mobile version) & it looks great! I think it would be fun to get a city shot photo of your can with the CA horizon or a city scape behind it, sort of the west coast version of your Jersey pic!!
                              Also- the last pet pic of you with the little white dog in your lap is ADORABLE! Totally my favorite!

Welcome to CA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X