Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much did it cost you to build your trailer? and how..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much did it cost you to build your trailer? and how..

I'm looking into getting a trailer and setting it up myself hoping to save money. I'm on a tight budget ..
    How much did it cost you and how did you do it?

$1,000 or less. I just used all the stuff from my salon, got stuff I didn't have off craigslist or garage sales, ie water heater tank, water storage. It was done very minimally as it was just ment to be a starter to see how going mobile was going to go.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine cost right at around 10,000... But I already had the enclosed trailer. We upgraded the axle and had the tongue extended to fit the generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

how did you set it up inside?

Comment

If you're going to be shoreline you can do it very very cheaply. Two water tanks, a tub, some lights and a table. Few pieces of plywood and some two by fours a remnant piece of linoleum.

My first van actually just had a counter top for a table. If you have access to hot fill, you don't have to worry about a water heater, or propane.

The one we are about to build is likely going to run about 10K on top of the 6K for the trailer.

My van cost us 8K to put together, but stuff seems to have gone up.

Comment

I'm looking into trailers. Would a basic cargo trailer be easiest or cheapest?
            I was also wondering if it is possible to use a horse trailer?

Comment

My advise to you is that you get a second job and save up until you can afford a used trailer.....there is a lot of engineering and planning when putting a mobile van/trailer together....everywhere from the floor, insulation, plumbing, electrical wiring, A/C, furnace, exhaust fans, propane water heaters, etc. The normal person doesn't have all of the "brains" to put one together. I've completely rehabbed 3 Victorian houses, from the ground to the roof, and I wouldn't attempt it.

You are almost "doomed" if you start up a business without enough cash flow to tackle the many little "bumps in the road" that occur, especially when you don't have a new vehicle sitting in your driveway.

I know the neighborhoods that I service would not think too highly if I pulled up in front of their home in a used horse trailer and asking to "plug in". Maybe it would have worked 20 years ago, but people are now more sophisticated after seeing numerous professional, clean, beautiful logoed, self contained, mobile units driving around.

Happy rethinking and upgrading your dream

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Eh, you'd be surprised at how many people ask me if I need power or even water. I don't think a lot of them care.

There is no shame at starting out basic and upgrading later when you can afford it, and for goodness sake charge what you're worth so you CAN afford an upgrade. I look at it like scissors, yes I can actually groom a dog very well with my old beveled dubl ducks, but it's so much easier with higher quality convex shears.

Though I don't think I'd do a horse trailer. Getting it clean would be an issue. A used trailer on craigslist is pretty cheap. Don't let Dolly scare you it's really just not that hard to DIY a van with some basic knowledge. Definitely the fancier you get the harder it is, but a very very basic van is actually quite easy.

Comment

My father in law and husband built my trailer from a trailer they had used to haul lawn equipment. The electric wasn't too bad, and the plumbing was pretty easy, but keep in mind they run an irrigation company! When I say 10k, I am talking tub, water heater, water tanks, pump, generator, dryer, grooming table... Everything but my shears and clippers! Let me find some photos and I'll share them with you!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                      Eh, you'd be surprised at how many people ask me if I need power or even water. I don't think a lot of them care.

There is no shame at starting out basic and upgrading later when you can afford it, and for goodness sake charge what you're worth so you CAN afford an upgrade. I look at it like scissors, yes I can actually groom a dog very well with my old beveled dubl ducks, but it's so much easier with higher quality convex shears.

Though I don't think I'd do a horse trailer. Getting it clean would be an issue. A used trailer on craigslist is pretty cheap. Don't let Dolly scare you it's really just not that hard to DIY a van with some basic knowledge. Definitely the fancier you get the harder it is, but a very very basic van is actually quite easy.
                      Yeah the horse trailer was just an idea that popped in my head. The nicer aluminum ones have the windows and matted floors and finished insides so I didn't know if that would be easier. But I have to start somewhere. Yeah I may not be able to afford to have a nice trailer right away. But I plan to constantly upgrade until I do. My store front just isn't bringing in the money.. well enough to actually save. It pays its bills and our living expenses.
                      I really want to get into mobile, its been my end goal from the start.

I found a few trailer online already that are empty cargo trailers.

How much did it cost to put everything you need inside? And what all do you have inside yours and what are the basics you need in one?

Comment

Because I do big dogs also a good hydraulic table was a must. I got mine at the Orlando grooming show and got a discount because it was one that was used for competitions. If you live in a warmer area you REALLY need to insulate the walls. Mine are insulated behind the frp walls. I just couldn't afford the high end rv ac, so I got a window unit that is framed into the wall behind the tub. I took Irishsettertom's advice on the generator and got mine from harbor freight. It was less than $600 and powers EVERYTHING in my trailer at one time! I was also adamant about having a k9II dryer. All included I spent probably $6000 just on the stuff to do the inside.

Comment

two tanks http://www.ebay.com/itm/190698758339
                          Get a scratch and dent tub from Lowes or Home Depot about 50 bucks. (and look often cause you never know when they will pop up)
                          Vinyl flooring less than 100
                          water pump http://www.lowes.com/pd_40506-15649-...+transfer+pump
                          Lights
                          Plywood, 2x4's and if you want to get fancy ;-) some RFP for the walls.
                          Screws nail, glue, calk.

You can literally plug things into a zip strip if you want to (plugged in to a portable GFCI) and then plug into the clients house. Though I would recommend getting a fuse box and doing outlets, but I'm thinking cheap here.

Boom, done. Nope, not super pretty, not super fancy but workable. Keep it clean and tidy.

Don't expect to run a K-9 II you WILL blow the clients fuse. Don't expect to run more than one thing at a time or you WILL blow the clients fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                            two tanks http://www.ebay.com/itm/190698758339
                            Get a scratch and dent tub from Lowes or Home Depot about 50 bucks. (and look often cause you never know when they will pop up)
                            Vinyl flooring less than 100
                            water pump http://www.lowes.com/pd_40506-15649-...+transfer+pump
                            Lights
                            Plywood, 2x4's and if you want to get fancy ;-) some RFP for the walls.
                            Screws nail, glue, calk.

You can literally plug things into a zip strip if you want to (plugged in to a portable GFCI) and then plug into the clients house. Though I would recommend getting a fuse box and doing outlets, but I'm thinking cheap here.

Boom, done. Nope, not super pretty, not super fancy but workable. Keep it clean and tidy.

Don't expect to run a K-9 II you WILL blow the clients fuse. Don't expect to run more than one thing at a time or you WILL blow the clients fuse.
                            thank you

Comment

Look me up and my van build threads I built a van from scratch and over a year in pretty much every thing works great

Comment

Working...
                              X