Hubs is going mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubs is going mobile

Has anyone had a situation like this before? I'm not sure how to handle it. His skill level is definitely not on par with mine. Of course bath and bath and tidies on goldens and the like he's great. He can do a mean kennel clip, and has done a decent job on combs. However he lacks the ability to take directions and apply them, and probably not that great at patterned dogs (except cockers). Of course comparing him to some of the stuff I see from the local groomers, he's heads and tails above.

Do we just book accordingly? Charge less for him? Make him bite the bullet and watch learn to groom dogs?

I've told him he cannot put my business name on the van unless he takes this seriously. He has to start coming here, looking at grooms, telling me what could be done to improve them.

Do we just use a different business name and let him take his lumps? I don't want to jeopardize my all five star ratings to be honest.

Any advice is appreciated.

I would make it completely separate from your business........his own name, logo, website, prices, phone# and he has to make all appointment arrangements. The minute you get involved in his business, he may expect you to continue "helping out"....which could lead to something ugly....like Divorce Court.

Good luck

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I think I would aggressively as possible push for more training and refinement AND separate myself from him professionally if he's absolutely bound and determined to do this. I certainly understand not wanting to take a hit to my reputation. I would do whatever it takes to protect that. It seems like if he's good on bath and tidies and kennel clips, there's a lot of business right there with the warmer weather coming up. If he is good at those things, able to turn out professional work, I would charge accordingly, not less. If you have the ability to make it so, though, I would certainly push for more training, whatever it is he needs help with.

Comment

When my husband came on board with my business to groom I sent him to school to work on his skills on school dogs so as not to have them be on my clients, that being said like all of us he has breeds that he is really good with and some he is not so skilled with. We book to what he does best, goldens and bath dogs, he is also quite skilled at cocker spaniels(which I prefer not do do) and a variety of other breeds. We are able to keep him booked with the dogs he does well and he has a very loyal client base , they have written 5 star reviews for him that go right in with mine. we both work under our company name and this has worked out well. If he has questions on a breed we talk about it ahead of time and I make sure he is ok with it. I think you can work together if you play to each others strengths.

Comment

I'm definitely not worried about us working together we have done that before and our marriage is as solid as they come.

Mony JJ that is super helpful. I don't think I will send him to grooming school and he will not take my clientele at all. My people are fiercely loyal to me. But knowing it has worked for someone else is awesome. I'm assuming you are mobile?

I will definitely make him come with me to the grooming shows and he is going to have to continue to work to improve.

Dolly I definitely am considering separate everything but having my name and number would give him a real jumpstart. It's a really hard decision.

Comment

Just a thought, separate businesses may create competition between the two of you. If you already work well together, keep it that way and give him the dogs he can do well.

Comment

Well......if you are talking about using the same business name and phone #, you are now talking about one business, with 2 vans and 2 groomers.......I would call your accountant and see if this will effect your tax returns, also will this effect your insurance premiums. Technically, would your husband become your employee, would you have to file a different tax form ?

Happy calling your tax man

Comment

OK, thinking about what Dolly had said, taxwise, I think you can have two LLCs and still file one tax return? Don't quote me on that but I think it is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                  Well......if you are talking about using the same business name and phone #, you are now talking about one business, with 2 vans and 2 groomers.......I would call your accountant and see if this will effect your tax returns, also will this effect your insurance premiums. Technically, would your husband become your employee, would you have to file a different tax form ?

Happy calling your tax man

Actually that's an easy answer. We form a partnership as we had at our grooming shop in Washington.

Comment

Why not just book him the big bath dogs and the bog shave downs that you don't want to do? There's plenty of business in that right there! No one says he has to do the bichons and poodles and whatnot. If your using the same name, all you have to say is your husband is the big dog groomer and he will be doing there dogs not you. I look at it like a multiple groomer salon, where one groomer is booked up but another has similar skills or enjoys doing certain,dogs more than the other.

Where I work, no one else likes doing bichons. So as a result I,end up,with the majority if bichons.

Actually had a new client with a Bichon and a Lhasa x get upset that I wasn't doing the Bichon I was doing the Lhasax and the other groomer and I just switched the dogs and made her happy since she was really coming to the salon to have me do the Bichon on the recommendations of another Bichon person.

So I'd book him the biggies and what his strong points are and work on his skills on other breeds in the meantime and see how it goes.
                    Hound

Comment

If we go way back in history of this message board perhaps 12 years ago we had mobile groomers that got married in front of their vans as a result of meeting here. They were in CA at the time. Anyway they sort of did what Houndlover suggested, but for the convenience of the owners with 2 pets, where 1 was to be done by the husband and the other by the wife, they tried to both arrive on the same day at the same time and each groom in their van rather than interrupting the customer twice in one day. Of course if you have a key and get in while customer not there, this is not a big issue.

Comment

Yes we are mobile, two vans, one company name and number but I groom my clients and he does his. we formed a partnership and file taxes together really not hard for our accountant to do. We both work on learning new things and enjoy going to the grooming shows and taking the classes we are each interested in. we do talk shop at home and work together to solve any issues that come up, he does usually look to me if he needs guidance as I have been grooming longer, it has worked well for us . I wish you luck on this endeavor as it can be really rewarding .

Comment

Cockerlvr what is he proposing about the ownership? Separate or one? I see your concerns, but how has he reacted?

Comment

Originally posted by coldnose View Post
                            Cockerlvr what is he proposing about the ownership? Separate or one? I see your concerns, but how has he reacted?
                            He is good with whatever I decide. At first he said he knew I wouldn't want him associated with my business but that's not true. I have been very clear with him though, that he needs to take this very seriously. Although he is a huge dog lover, he's done just enough to get by because I've always been there to do whatever he needed me to. That's not going to be the case anymore.

Comment

If it were my business I'd keep them separate until the revenues and bookings were basically equal. Also you want the skillets to equalize somewhat. You don't want your loyal clients feeling like they got the "B" team.

You can feed his business and help it grow with the overflow you turn away now, any teethings problems he may have starting out are at least one step removed from a direct hit on your excellent reputation that you took so long to nurture and create.

Pretty exciting time at your place! Congrats.

UD

Comment

Working...
                              X