Tired of my Basement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of my Basement

My problem is two fold. For starters I'm tired of grooming in my basement. No windows. All alone. It's a basement for crying out loud. Hubby built me a nice space and I painted it a very warm light blue but it's still lonely and a basement. My second problem is we want to sell our house and build on some acreage that we bought. I would not have a place to groom while we built. So my solution to both problems is to go mobile. There is not a mobile groomer in my area yet. It was a small farm community some years ago but more and more very large (multi-million dollar) homes are being built on what was once pasture and farm land (makes me sad...) so I think a mobile groomer may be well received.

I am thinking of buying a trailer and setting it up myself. Between my husband and father-in-law this shouldn't be an overwhelming task. I've decided on a trailer so I can use my F350 to pull it. I'm going to need the heavy 4-wheel drive of that truck for the winters up here.

I have a few questions for those of you who have gone mobile in very cold areas, and smaller rural areas (again we are growing by leaps and bounds). I have been grooming for 13 years. Working for myself out of my home for 2 years. I have a regular client list of about 80 currently and getting a few new dogs each month.

How do you keep your trailer from freezing up in the winter? We are talking subzero at night here and below freezing during the day for 3-4 weeks in Dec/Jan.

How much do you need to increase your prices from a shop to a mobile salon? I hate to just bump my existing clients up $10-$15 at one time because I decided to go mobile. I was thinking up them $5 to start and go from there while starting new clients out at the higher mobile price.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. This isn't a sudden decision for me. I have been thinking about this ever since we started looking for acreage a few years ago. I knew I would need a solution to not having a grooming location while between homes. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out.

I did the same thing. Hubs built me a trailer. To keep from freezing we insulated the whole underside of the tub where the watertank, lines, pump, and heater are. At night I plug a radiant heater in as close as I can to all of that. We also put a large car cover over it. It seems to help hold heat in. While I'm grooming I run a Mr buddy propane heater until it's warm enough. I doubled my prices ( for example if I charged $30 for a dog 20lbs and under they now pay $75. You need to know how much you need to make an hr. I know people say not to discount but if I'm at a house who has multiple dogs I charge the mobile amount for the first or biggest dog then shop price for the rest ( don't break it down for them just give a total for example 3 shitzues it would be $135) be firm and confident with process and people will pay without hesitation or will go somewhere else. Once people find out how convenient mobile is they will pay. I'm in north east ohio so not a high class / expensive area.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

littlearkgroomingshoppe
      Toy Member
      Last edited by littlearkgroomingshoppe; 03-02-16, 06:19 PM. Reason: Oops double post

Comment

Originally posted by littlearkgroomingshoppe View Post
        I did the same thing. Hubs built me a trailer. To keep from freezing we insulated the whole underside of the tub where the watertank, lines, pump, and heater are. At night I plug a radiant heater in as close as I can to all of that. We also put a large car cover over it. It seems to help hold heat in. While I'm grooming I run a Mr buddy propane heater until it's warm enough. I doubled my prices ( for example if I charged $30 for a dog 20lbs and under they now pay $75. You need to know how much you need to make an hr. I know people say not to discount but if I'm at a house who has multiple dogs I charge the mobile amount for the first or biggest dog then shop price for the rest ( don't break it down for them just give a total for example 3 shitzues it would be $135) be firm and confident with process and people will pay without hesitation or will go somewhere else. Once people find out how convenient mobile is they will pay. I'm in north east ohio so not a high class / expensive area.

Good answer thanks. I am thinking of moving next year from an area where I don't have to worry about freezing to one indeed i will.

To the OP while you are building on the acreage you could also use your mobile to groom on the land too, give them a choice. Some days mobile, some days note.

Comment

I have a shop salon but some years ago I was in a basement. I had to get out of it! More light, more room, less worries about radon gas which can gather in basements. Mobile might be just right for you.

Comment

There is a lot of similar type posts here over the years, use the search to look for specific things. People have detailed how they converted trailers and listed problems. I have considered mobile in the past too. Don't forget you have to charge more cause your able to do less in a day due to driving and one at a time appointment style

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

My grandpa got very sick from radon gas in his basement.

Comment

I don't think I could work full time in the basement, too closed in or something like that. I need lots of natural light for grooming anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X