GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS

What are your favorite GPS units? How they handle updates to them when new areas are built? Do you update software or have to buy something like a subscription?? Appreciate help.

I have a Garman and the updates are free. Every once in a while, the screen will automatically display a reminder to update by going onto their website.

Happy not getting lost

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I also have a Garmin. I like the ease of use, BUT do not trust it at times. It'll have you go around the neighborhood when a u-turn would do. Be aware of your surroundings and you'll see what I mean. I turned on my own and saved 1.1 miles.
      Purchase one the is labeled with LM (lifetime maps)or LMT (lifetime maps and traffic).

Comment

I like my Tom Tom up dates are free at website large updates like the whole US you pay for a modest fee.

Comment

Garmin nuvi (with a #) LM. I love it. People will say my address doesn't come up on gps since it's so new. It always finds it. I can update the maps 3x a year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

If you don't already own a dedicated unit just use Waze on your smartphone.

It has faster traffic updates than the Garmin does because it uses the GPS's in the phones of its network of the users to feedback real time traffic data whereas Garmin uses two different traffic services a freebie one they give you and a premium one you pay for - neither work as well as Waze. (I use the both at the same time all the time for sun just to see )

It does not have as good lane direction like the Garmins do - ( exit at Smith street and stay in the middle lane)

Waze has a great feature thats sends your eta to the customer so when you leave your current location you can let the client know you are on your way to them (for those clients perpetually not ready when you arrive)
            Waze is a power hog so you need to be plugged in.

Uncle Dave
            Last edited by Uncle Dave; 01-30-16, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Another thing with Waze you don't have to do map updates as that is controlled and fed through the network.

Software updates are free and updated on your phone.

It also runs on tablets so if you want a large screen an 8" iPad works great.

If I had to be critical Waze will sometimes guide you to a faster route, but set up impossible left turn into traffic it does this kind of thing a little more that a Garmin on a route recompute.

I still prefer it though

- one other cool thing - after you send an eta it tracks your route and if you encounter a delay - it will inform the receiving party you will be delayed and issue a new ETA.

UD

Comment

Great info UD, didn't know about this one.

Comment

I just use MapQuest on my iphone.

Comment

On my Garmin nuvi, I can save all the addresses so when I go back I just spell out the first three letters of their name and their contact comes up. You can also route two addresses. Shame you can't route more.

Comment

Originally posted by JMarti521 View Post
                      On my Garmin nuvi, I can save all the addresses so when I go back I just spell out the first three letters of their name and their contact comes up. You can also route two addresses. Shame you can't route more.
                      Waze also saves prior destination info and auto finds when typing down to 1 letter if its unique, commonly 2 just like the Garmin does.
                      Its also tap-tic enabled getting you to a quick menu with 2 tic access from the menu page on your phone.

Can you explain to me what the benefit is with what you describe as "route two addresses" - I seek understanding? I have an idea what you mean but am not certain.

MAPS.ME(free) is also interesting, it lacks traffic but is the best detailed fastest most interactive map Ive seen for walking level.
                      From what i can tell it uses passively collected Cell tower info for triangulation's vs your private stream data so it works on the cheap where data is expensive.
                      You download it per city and the detail is amazing.
                      It routing is ok.

UD

Comment

Thank you everyone

Comment

Garmin is ok, but...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1122247
                          Notice the extra 1.2 miles the Garmin nuvi added to my trip instead of just asking for a u-turn. Still, it suggest a drive through the entire neighborhood just to turn around. I like the Garmin, but this thing is waaay off quite often. I usually check the map before taking off. I got tired of following it blindly.

Comment

Originally posted by JMarti521 View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]27402[/ATTACH]
                            Notice the extra 1.2 miles the Garmin nuvi added to my trip instead of just asking for a u-turn. Still, it suggest a drive through the entire neighborhood just to turn around. I like the Garmin, but this thing is waaay off quite often. I usually check the map before taking off. I got tired of following it blindly.
                            Off topic, but I thought the street names sounded familiar, and then I saw you are from Rancho Cucamonga! We used to do a lot of work there when we were in CA working as environmental biologists.

Comment

Working...
                            X