Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm mobile again do you think I should pre shave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cockerlvr
    replied
    Too impatient for my other post to go through mod to edit. I only do this because I have a recirc. If I didn't I would have to pre-shave.

Leave a comment:

• cockerlvr
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
    We have a vastly different client base here in the desert. I'd say 70 percent of our clients strip down their dogs with 5, 7 or even 10 blades. I'm talking Huskies, Goldens, Sammy's, Shepherds. If you are going to shave off 5 lbs of hair, there's no need to bathe and dry all that coat just to remove it. We gets lots of pelted messes also that need to be stripped off before the bath.
    The thing is Tom, the time spent pre shaving is instead used blow drying and the hair comes off SO much easier after the bath. It's a complete wash of time. You might be talking a few minutes difference.

Leave a comment:

• coldnose
    replied
    We pre-shave the horribly matted messes, pelts, and a couple notches down from there. Why? You get a better wash of the skin IMO and even conditioning, so it depends on that. We go by our ability to truly cleanse the skin extra well and some matted messes, not even pelts, do better with a pre-shave for that purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Dragynwing
    replied
    I've only preshaved a few times when it was the kind of coat that would get whip tangles when being dried and there was a lot of coat coming off. Last time was on an older doodle puppy whose coat was in transition. I feel like preshaving takes longer and if the coat is matted, a good bath and blowing conditioner through the coat pushes the mats out or farther from the skin.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• IrishSetterTom
    replied
    We have a vastly different client base here in the desert. I'd say 70 percent of our clients strip down their dogs with 5, 7 or even 10 blades. I'm talking Huskies, Goldens, Sammy's, Shepherds. If you are going to shave off 5 lbs of hair, there's no need to bathe and dry all that coat just to remove it. We gets lots of pelted messes also that need to be stripped off before the bath.

Leave a comment:

• cockerlvr
    replied
    I don't ever pre-shave. I just use my recirc if it's a nasty matted dog. I rarely get those anymore, but I do have one that only calls me every four or five months, and the owners constantly bathe in between, so the dog is a solid tight pelt. I would have to use a 15 or 30 to get through it, and I always get a seven after the bath.

Leave a comment:

• Dolly
    replied
    Well.....if the dogs are on a regular grooming schedule, you won't need to preshave. Only first time dogs that need a couple of inches off do I preshave.....and this is a rare occurrence.

Happy not having to preshave

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Leave a comment:

• IrishSetterTom
    replied
    Depends what the condition of the coat is and if it's going to be stripped off anyway. My mobile groomers tend to rough in first before the bath. It saves water which we know is limited to 50 gallons for most of us. Also you know drying time will be cut down also which is precious when you have a full day of grooms and driving. Most of our regular 2 to 4 week clients dogs' are in good condition and go straight to the bath.

Leave a comment:

• I'm mobile again do you think I should pre shave?

It seems like I get done faster when I take the dog straight to the tub instead of pre shaving.
Working...
X