Kerosene vs. Propane heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerosene vs. Propane heat

I need to figure a new way to heat my trailer when not in use to keep the lines & water from freezing. I've been looking at both propane & kerosene heaters. For those of you with home built trailers what do you use? What is the average run time? I have an oil filled electric heater in there now that does ok when it hasn't tripped the breaker, or burnt up an extention cord. Thanks in advance for any and all input

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't believe Kerosene heaters have an automatic shut off when it reaches a certain temp.......I would say your safest is ceramic heaters that you can dial for low heat that will shut off when it reaches a certain temp, then turn back when that temp falls. New ceramic heaters are cheap and safe, they won't "burn up your cord" and easily obtainable in any Home Depot or Lowe's. Too bad you don't have the "winterized system" that WGT has......it allows us to run antifreeze thru the water lines, and the furnace pipe surrounds the 50 gal of fresh water tank. They also instruct us to use a ceramic heater in the back of the van, facing the water lines.

Happy keeping warm

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

You are probably burning up cords because the cord you are using is too light of a gauge to carry the current that distance.

The cord itself adds resistance adding to the total draw - tripping the breaker.

Get a real extension cord. There are lots of online tools to help you pick the right gauge.

UD

Comment

You can even make your own cords by purchasing the wire by the foot and the proper rated ends. 20 amp minimum 30 if you can manage it. Rolling hose reel for garden hose helps. The wasted power consumption on an under rated cord plus risk of failure freeze repairs possible fire just not worth being frugal on power cords that will get used a lot. I prefer to wait for the 30 amp construction cords to go on sale in the 100 ft lengths then replace the ends from the start to better ones. Back when I built our van I used 30 amp for the wiring each outlet is it's own circuit all that wire was cut from stuff on a reduced price sale. 8 outlets all rated for 20 amps each. I don't like having to replace things.

Comment

I found some extra heavy duty cords like they recommend at both Lowes and Depots.

Comment

The one I have is from a constriction site so it is heavy duty. Thankfully we've had a mild winter almost spring like so a trailer cover helps keep some heat in and it hasn't needed to be plugged in much. While working I've borrowed a little propane heater with an o2 sensor. For cooler days.

Comment

Don't you find that in areas where you use kerosene it leaves a little scent, or a lot?

Comment

Originally posted by blingwithfur View Post
                Don't you find that in areas where you use kerosene it leaves a little scent, or a lot?
                I actually got a little propane heater. Heats it up quick on cooler days then I shut it off. Here in ohio we haven't had much of a winter. It was 63° here yesterday

Comment

Working...
                X