How does she pay her bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does she pay her bills

Just had a lady contact me for an appointment this week. I squeeze her in at the end of one of my days. She asks how much I tell her $xx amount. She tells me "that's way to much the other girl that comes to her house charges $25" [emoji47] I said ok have a merry christmas. [emoji319]
    I'm in northeast ohio I don't even think any shops are that low. I'm just flabbergasted. Needed to get that off my chest and into the grooming world

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sounds to me like she just lied her way out of an appt with you.....she got greedy when you could work her in, probably worked out best for you.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Agreed. $25 for a Bath on a chihuahua? Sure. For a haircut on any breed, nope.

Comment

You did great! You know maybe she's doing backyard grooming, not paying taxes nothing!

Comment

I groom one Chihuahua and charge $75 and I get a $25 tip..........stick to your guns, you don't need that type of client.

Happy Holidays to everyone

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Good for you to not give in. I get a lot of the "so and so does it for 25 " all the time. Great go to them. There is one person in my city that has an ad on Craigslist that's says any breed wash and cut for 25. I tell these people to try her out. Nicely, of course.

And yeah, she prob was lying...just wanted a good deal at the last minute.

Comment

She just said girl that comes to her house. So no overhead, probably no real training or proper knowledge. Equipment. No business license or insurance. We have had one of those pop up here. $25 grooms, will go to people home to do free nail trims. By her pics she has no training and i have clients who do better job on their own pet.
              The way I figure it is she is really naive about the toll it takes on your body, and will eventually get tired of the type of people they attract. At least the poor dogs who owners genuinely can't afford much can get them neat and clean. I just hope nobody gets seriously hurt.

So look at it this way: this person ( if they exist) is just filtering your clientele so you keep the ones you want, and don't have to feel bad about the other dogs needing grooming.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sometimes an inexperienced groomer who leaves a corp or shop that has paid them 50% commission thinks that they now only have to charge half of the going rates to gain clients and get their business started. They don't think about the taxes, insurances, or supply costs, and eventually learn the error of their ways. Usually it's too late by then. When a client tells me of someone else being cheaper, I say "that is a great deal and I can't match that price. I completely understand if you would rather go there." People should be coming to you because of your grooming skills, not because you're the cheapest. Clients looking for cheapest rates are usually not the kind who will stay loyal to your business. They'll shop around and only come back after a half price hack ruins Flufferdoodles haircut and then allow you to "fix" it. Then and only then will they be happy to pay your rates. It's up to them to compromise...not you!

Comment

I am appalled that so many if you always assume the worst lately. We have a ship with some well trained (2 by me and one school trained ) doing any size bath and nails for $10. No clue why. I am priced way higher thatn them but they are legal. Insured. Goid. Just cheap. You have no way bif knowing why they price like they do. Maybe it's a hobby? Maybe their spouse pays the bills? Why does it matter? Charge what you need to and let others so the same. Assuming no taxes license or training is catty.
                  <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Thank you Parti. That was exactly what I was going to say.

Comment

My price may be higher but the value is worth it

Comment

I'm on the fence with this one. I can see the naive newbie starting out with lower pricing trying to make a go of it. I also understand thtought that that doesn't mean they are not trained, or are not running their business legally. I know there is a new groomer near my old employer that seems like a good groomer. Her haircuts of her website are nice and neat. Nothing fancy but a lot of the people in our demographics just want simple. She charges probably half what I would charge. As Parti says though, you have to do what works for you and if she can get by on those prices, well good for her. Doesn't make her services any less in quality. Now if someone wanted a more stylized clip they wouldn't go to her and would also find themselves paying more for the needed time and skill to do so. So yeah, the more I think about it, the groomers charging less may only be doing shave downs or something there of. They could do more dogs a day due to the simplicity and charge less because of it.
                        Good thread.
                        It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                        Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                          I am appalled that so many if you always assume the worst lately. We have a ship with some well trained (2 by me and one school trained ) doing any size bath and nails for $10. No clue why. I am priced way higher thatn them but they are legal. Insured. Goid. Just cheap. You have no way bif knowing why they price like they do. Maybe it's a hobby? Maybe their spouse pays the bills? Why does it matter? Charge what you need to and let others so the same. Assuming no taxes license or training is catty.
                          Yes I get your point, but in case of no shop, and in my own personal case the pictures she showed me herself told me even bathing wasn't getting done so I am forming an opinion in that case.
                          And in my area that's considered even cheaper since small Shih Tzu dog grooms here are $50-70. So that plays a part as well.
                          You are correct in that people charge what they need to charge. Lower or higher. I have hoped that the local gal is just motivated by a big heart...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Why the hell do they call another groomer if they find the greatest cheapest groomer of town ?
                            There's 2 answers to that question :
                            1. The groomer doesn't exist
                            2. The groomer actually exists but he's so bad that they don't want their dog to be in his hands again

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchie View Post
                              Why the hell do they call another groomer if they find the greatest cheapest groomer of town ?
                              There's 2 answers to that question :
                              1. The groomer doesn't exist
                              2. The groomer actually exists but he's so bad that they don't want their dog to be in his hands again
                              Thank you Frenchie!!!!!!!
                              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
                              X