Changing my van around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing my van around

Hopefully my picture attached. I was just never happy with the layout of my Hanvey and have made some changes and tried to make it very quick to groom, and comfortable for me without sacrificing my favorite thing which is taking dogs who are considered difficult or super scared and giving them a easy hour or so of grooming. I am still making changes but I am getting there. I have my HV, a small stand dryer and a hand dryer (sometimes I carry a tall stand dryer instead of the little one), all easily ready to go.

I also switched to something similar to Cocker's method of warm water which I prefer to the Hanvey water method which was nothing but a pain for me. I don't want a generator either.
    Attached Files

Small dogs only? I like your set up.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Nice! My husband is always saying he would change this or that in my van, but I absolutely love it the way it is set up. What works for you is what is right.

Comment

Thank you both and yes I am primarily small dog. I would love to see more van interiors to get more ideas.

Comment

You've limited yourself for very small dogs with that round table........just remember, all of your equipment that is setting out will collect hair which requires extra "sucking up" with your central vac each day. Being mobile since 2008, I have never had the need for a stand dryer or a hand held dryer. A K9 II dryer has two motors for different speeds and a Kool Air dryer also has numerous settings, all are HV........I use the low settings on face, high setting for body and legs.

Happy cleaning up

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

The table is 31" so it is has a good surface space. Yesterday was my first day with it and I did like it. Today I have an average size SCWT so although I have a few dogs bigger than her she will be a good test. I can tell it will be better for small fat dogs though and I do just like to guinea pig stuff. I just consider having some things the way I want the cost of doing business as well and I have to have a stand dryer in the mix because I like my hands free.

Comment

Well I use my stand dryer on every single dog Dolly. Every single one. Even if it's a Boston bath, I run it on the dog while doing nails. Blows the dust away and keeps drying while my hands are busy elsewhere. Wouldn't be without it.

Comment

Stand dryers will and do prolong the drying process.........just put your HV hose (no nozzle) on the skin and dry away by constantly moving it around......Remember.......time is $$.

Never heard of the term "Boston" bath ??? Is this when you are bathing while watching the Boston Celtics or Boston Red Sox's....or bathing a Boston Terrier or dreaming of a Boston Crème Pie ?? Clue me in !!.....I putting my bet on that it's the Pie :>)

Happy going to Boston Univ

Comment

Here is a "before" pic of the Wheaten on the table and she has plenty of room especially by looking at the reflection in the mirror. I am not advocating a round table at all I just bought it cause I read (from the seller )that it is easier to get around and I could make better use of space. After 2 days I can't say that I regret it and I do have better space.

Ha ha I didn't have the guts to post an after because I didn't like the way his toes were shaved out from his prior groomer and I couldn't hide it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                    Stand dryers will and do prolong the drying process.........just put your HV hose (no nozzle) on the skin and dry away by constantly moving it around......Remember.......time is $$.

Never heard of the term "Boston" bath ??? Is this when you are bathing while watching the Boston Celtics or Boston Red Sox's....or bathing a Boston Terrier or dreaming of a Boston Crème Pie ?? Clue me in !!.....I putting my bet on that it's the Pie :>)

Happy going to Boston Univ

And I am going to clip nails and dremmel while holding that hose up to the dogs skin how?

A Boston bath, would be a Boston Terrier.

Every single dog gets it's face done with a stand dryer. My groom time, bath to bows, on an average Shih is 50 minutes. So tell me how using my stand dryer slows me down?

Dolly if you don't use a stand dryer how can you say it slows you down? Seriously? That's like me saying driving a Ferrari is a bad ride. I've never driven one so how would I know?
                    Last edited by cockerlvr; 12-10-15, 08:01 PM.

Comment

How did you get table out and seal up holes. I would love to change mine out as I do small dogs only and woukd love to move around and have extra space. But it is my understanding it is bolted under the van. Please tell me how you did this. If I could go back and buy van again, I would have got the cat grooming van, but wasnt aware it was available. I love the tub and will be great for resale value but def don't need a big tub like that. I also wondered what if tib was facing rear instead of side of van. More room? Not sure and that would be a big undertaking.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                        And I am going to clip nails and dremmel while holding that hose up to the dogs skin how?

A Boston bath, would be a Boston Terrier.

Every single dog gets it's face done with a stand dryer. My groom time, bath to bows, on an average Shih is 50 minutes. So tell me how using my stand dryer slows me down?

Dolly if you don't use a stand dryer how can you say it slows you down? Seriously? That's like me saying driving a Ferrari is a bad ride. I've never driven one so how would I know?

Easy answer..........when I first started grooming in 1987.......our school didn't have HV's, only stand dryers. When I opened my business I only had a stand dryer and for many years that's all I used, UNTIL I went to my first GroomExpo and saw the "light". I still own that stand dryer, it's an Oster and stands in my bathroom and dries my hair for the past 25 years. I don't know if stand dryers have "brushes" but if they do, I've never changed them out. It only takes less than a minute to clip nails and I always do before bath. Try the HV, no nozzle, and you will beat your drying time.....I can do an 80 lb doodle, thick, curly 1.5" hair, in 20 min. using a K9 II dryer, both motors.

I am extremely disappointed that the Boston wash doesn't tie into dreaming of a Boston Crème Pie !

Happy driving your fathom Ferrari

Comment

I took it to an RV place and I don't know how they did removed it and I don't see any holes. I also had them put in a smaller tub and asked them to put it in like I think you meant to say facing the front of van instead of side, but they still put it in the old way. I was going to have them correct it but since it is a cheap tub and they would have had to cut another leg for the wheel well I didn't want to risk any problems. They did a better job than my husband could do but they didn't do it right. That is the hardest thing is finding the right people to work on the conversion. If I change this tub I think I will use a plumber. Facing it like a wagntails would have made a huge difference with my smaller tub and table in so many ways.

I do like the simplicity of this van and would only buy a used low mileage one and then mess around with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                            Easy answer..........when I first started grooming in 1987.......our school didn't have HV's, only stand dryers. When I opened my business I only had a stand dryer and for many years that's all I used, UNTIL I went to my first GroomExpo and saw the "light". I still own that stand dryer, it's an Oster and stands in my bathroom and dries my hair for the past 25 years. I don't know if stand dryers have "brushes" but if they do, I've never changed them out. It only takes less than a minute to clip nails and I always do before bath. Try the HV, no nozzle, and you will beat your drying time.....I can do an 80 lb doodle, thick, curly 1.5" hair, in 20 min. using a K9 II dryer, both motors.

I am extremely disappointed that the Boston wash doesn't tie into dreaming of a Boston Crème Pie !

Happy driving your fathom Ferrari

Nope, tried it, didn't beat it, and I didn't like the finish either.

We all do things differently Dolly and this works very well for me. I prefer to do nails after the bath when the nails are softer, and the dust I stir up with my dremmel is at least clean nail dust (even though I wear a mask as well), not whatever the dog has been walking on for six weeks. Yes, I dremmel every dog. If nails on all dogs only take you a minute hats off to you. I have many dogs who fight the nail trim like their lives depend on it, and they can take me way longer than a minute. Some dogs will only tolerate the dremmel not trimming, and that takes much longer. Having that stand dryer going during that time cuts my dry time significantly.

Comment

I would be willing to bet that if I turned down the speed on a kool dry to work on a dog that rejects drying or the head of a dog, or whatever, it would be slower and a not as nice of a finish as a stand dryer. HV and stand dryers both are good tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X