Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to deal with dryer pirhanna in mobile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with dryer pirhanna in mobile?

I have no problem handling some difficult dogs, but I had to stop a groom unfinished today, which just makes me so mad. How do you handle a dog that is attacking the dryer while you're trying to get them done? Any ideas? At my corporate store I would have let him kennel dry, but in mobile that's not an option. On a good note though... First day in my trailer and did 5 dogs today, and other than the demon dog they were all great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a big problem in mobile vs. shop where you can kennel dry or stand dry. Mobile options are remove cone to see if that helps. If not, you can use a hose holder which mounts to the table to free your hands and acts like a stand dryer. Many dogs don't mind the air blowing across them while you have free hands to brush and or direct airflow over them. Last resort is thorough towel dry and brushing and ending the groom. If it's worse than that, I would not groom the dog again.

I may add that I use Happy Hoodies also. That also helps somewhat.

Comment

I had a Westie like that. It took me a year to train him not to bite. The bathers would try, then give up right away, reinforcing the behavior. I finally took it upon myself to work with the dog because I needed him blown out.

I used a Groomer's Helper (a collar that attaches to the grooming arm so he can't spin), as well as a muzzle. Start at the back end on low speed and hold it steady until he calms. Slowly work your way towards the front but do not attempt to blow close to the head. Praise as needed. Eventually he'll realize he won't win and give in.

This takes time and patience, especially if he's terrified. You cannot force a dog to tolerate the HV. You have to get him to trust you. Cotton in the ears will help muffle the noise. Take your time and make sure you charge for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm going back tomorrow to finish his groom. His mom knows he has issues and it's partly my fault. I used to groom him at my corporate salon, so I knew he hated the dryer. But I've been out of there for more than a year now and completely forgot about it when she called to book him. Unfortunately, he was pretty matted so I prepped him before the bath and now he looks like a hit half shaved mess! I'm going to keep working on him, but I'm not sure he's pretty stubborn. Do any of you have customers that bathe their dogs and you just groom them? I was thinking that if she agreed to getting on a 4-6 week schedule that if they are up to it maybe I would just have them bathe him the night before?

Comment

If carrying alternative dryers like stand dryers for dogs like this is out of the question for you which is one way, another way, since it is being shaved anyway, is to bathe first, towel dry, have a fan blowing like in a shop so the head can dry and begin shaving while dog is still damp. This is primarily the way I shave a dog anyway except I carry a stand dryer and a low volume hand held dryer and a Groomer's Helper which all make it quicker and easier on me and the dog.

Comment

I am not mobile. I do agree with blue though. In a mobile situation, is it possible for you to take a fold down kennel and 2 box fans along with you? Of course charge extra but maybe you could set kennel up on table. Bathe and dry as much as he will tolerate. Then put him in the kennel to finish. Definately charge for extra time but if the dog is used to a certain way of doing things you just have to readjust him. Slow and eventually he should come around

Comment

Is the dog terrified or just a brat? That will usually determine how I proceed. I do carry a stand dryer with me and that is how all heads get dried. I only have one dog who is petrified of the dryer so I completely dry him with the stand dryer. It takes longer, and although I didn't technically charge more, mom appreciates my effort and tips me a fortune for doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dusty Muzzle View Post
                I am not mobile. I do agree with blue though. In a mobile situation, is it possible for you to take a fold down kennel and 2 box fans along with you? Of course charge extra but maybe you could set kennel up on table. Bathe and dry as much as he will tolerate. Then put him in the kennel to finish. Definately charge for extra time but if the dog is used to a certain way of doing things you just have to readjust him. Slow and eventually he should come around
                You must not know that mobile we are usually running generators and have a schedule to follow. We base our rates on 1 hour blocks which equal $65. To set up a kennel and use fans is a complete waste of time and money. That little dog would cost $150 by my rates. Dogs are overly dramatic. You could even let the dog go off the table to the floor of the small interior space of a van and try doing it there. But you can get most of them done with a HV and holding the hose.

Comment

Cockerlvr, unfortunately he's just a brat! Lol! He didn't even like the handheld dryer. Doesn't like air blowing on him anywhere, feet, body, tail, nowhere! I am going to put my pop up kennel and a fan in the trailer for the next one who's like this. I can usually work dogs through it if it's just a fear, but he's a terror!

Comment

Do you realize that after getting several different ways to handle your problem from successful mobilers, you went with the shop method of drying a difficult dog?

Comment

I do... Please pardon my questions and lack of knowledge. Mobile is something that is VERY new to me, as in I just started taking appointments in my trailer yesterday! Here is what I tried with him. No nozzle on the dryer. When he attacked the dryer in the tub I moved him to a table and started working slowly. When that didn't work I set the nozzle up so that it would blow on him from a distance while I tried to brush him out. I have a groomers helper so while he couldn't actually turn and bite he kept spinning and trying to and was getting very stressed out. When I said that I might get the pop up and dryer I was thinking about the fact that I have to groom the other family dog also. So if I bathed him first, then brought the other dog out bathed and groomer her, by the time she was done he might be dry... I still have a lot of learning to do when it comes to working mobile. I know....

Comment

This may not be popular but if he's just a brat let him bite the dryer and keep working. Trust me, he WILL learn that it's not real fun to do that.

I only have pity for dogs that are scared, dogs that just think they are going to get their way, simply don't.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                          This may not be popular but if he's just a brat let him bite the dryer and keep working. Trust me, he WILL learn that it's not real fun to do that.

I only have pity for dogs that are scared, dogs that just think they are going to get their way, simply don't.
                          I am not mobile. .....but I totally agree with this!
                          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post

I'm not mobile either, but that's what I usually do when they're just being brats.
                            I wanted to mention maybe putting a happy hoodie on him? That may not work, but with almost every dog I've used it on, it's at least helped.

Comment

There are many reasons I am not mobile. And no I am not completely familiar with how y'all do/run things. I know it is shop mentality to dry in fold down kennel but if you know it is gonna take extra time schedule and charge for it. It is a convenience service going to the home. Jmo.

Comment

Working...
                              X