Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hairstylist Follows Mobile Groomer Trend - $250K Vehicle

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...alon/75292234/

We’d all love an on-call hair genie to come perk up our tresses and deflated spirits.

SoZo Signature Salon could be the next best thing. After all, this genie comes with a tricked-out RV, featuring an electric fireplace, big-screen TV and granite counter tops.

Crowned the first mobile hair salon in the First State, SoZo had a grueling road to fruition. Creative mastermind and longtime stylist Stephen Wilkerson tinkered with the concept for two years with his co-founder and wife, Gina Wilkerson, a veterinarian with Novartis Pharmaceuticals. At one point, they had to convince the state to create a new licensing category, which led them to partner with management consultant Tony Felicia, a former Newark City Council member.

The Wilkersons’ $250,000 dream — including a good portion of their retirement — will be on display inside the Chase Center on the Riverfront Tuesday as part of the Entrepreneurial and Business Women’s Expo. An official ribbon-cutting is scheduled for 4 p.m........
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

The financial aspect of this doesn't make sense to me at all.

Comment

With that kind of investment I would want to make $2000 a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
        The financial aspect of this doesn't make sense to me at all.
        I agree. A mobile hairstylist is not equal to a mobile groomer. I can't see this vehicle paying for itself especially the fuel and insurance costs associated with a big coach like that. Parking it legally becomes a challenge also.

I can see it used for promotional events. This vehicle will be old and broke down by the time its paid for and worthless as a specialty vehicle by that time.

Comment

I tried to talk my stylist into doing something like this on a much smaller scale. The licensing board told her she would have to call in her schedule every single day. She passed.

Comment

I would say $300 a stop.

Comment

They will learn just like most of us did, what they need to charge. It may take them awhile to realize that they are offering a convenience, luxury service and the price needs to reflect this; because the $ tied up, just "to keep the lights on" for our specialty vehicles, which provide the convenience, is high.

A cut and color starting at what?$90 it said? That's at least an hour and a half worth of work.

I can just hear it now "But the new mobile salon for people only charges $55 dollars for a hair cut. Why is Fluffy so much more?"

They should specialize in special events: proms, weddings, quincinera's (spelling?) and charge waaaay more than $45. But that could be the "starts at" price and they have a slew of add-on's. Like those corporate hair joints that charge you extra to wash your hair. (shiver, it would be disgusting to have to cut a human's dirty, oily, nasty hair....give me anal glands all day over clippering over someone's nasty zitty neck!!)

I hope they do well. But damn that's a lot of overhead.

Comment

I would think this would be very difficult. I know ohio state Board of cosmetology is very strict (licensed hairdresser) they would need to know where you are so they could do random inspections I would think it would be a pain.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Honestly, it will probably fail miserably. I have seen these type of mobile businesses over the years. Even food trucks have a hard time. I helped work on a mobile massage parlor RV that soon went out of business. These big companies like snowboard companies and motorcross companies use RV coaches for promo events, not as a primary way of making an income.

Anyone remember mobile kiddie ride trucks back in the '70s? They were fun when I was a kid.

Comment

Working...
                  X