Actual tire mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actual tire mileage

If tires are rated for say 60,000 miles by manufacture but used on a heavy rig like a pet pro van, anyone know a formula for how much less mileage you may get, or is that true?

These groom vans use E rated tires which are rated for the increased weight of the van, so I would assume with proper rotation, they should be true to the mileage rating. That said, I do not get more than 2 years before the tires look dry rotted and the tread starts "cupping". I get about 25 to 30,000 on 60K rated tires before I change them. I'm sure I could have squeezed out another 10K by the looks of the tread when I pull them. But I don't mess around with old tires when summer approaches. I change them in Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
      These groom vans use E rated tires which are rated for the increased weight of the van, so I would assume with proper rotation, they should be true to the mileage rating. That said, I do not get more than 2 years before the tires look dry rotted and the tread starts "cupping". I get about 25 to 30,000 on 60K rated tires before I change them. I'm sure I could have squeezed out another 10K by the looks of the tread when I pull them. But I don't mess around with old tires when summer approaches. I change them in Spring.
      Tom nailed it.

From my experience you'll be lucky to get half the rated life.
      About 2 years or in my case 20-25K here in Los Angeles that includes 2-3 rotations. Thats with a single rear wheel van

The factory rubber on my dually rig is known to be **** and lasted 20 months so that was a 5 tire purchase in 20 months- good news is that the different rubber seem much better wearing than the stock rubber and Im predicting 36 out of them.

UD
      Last edited by Uncle Dave; 11-04-15, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Great info thanks.

Comment

I'm not sure what mine are rated, but I have nearly 50K on my rig and the tires still look great. I do notice that the tires on the NV's are way bigger than the tires on the sprinters so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
            I'm not sure what mine are rated, but I have nearly 50K on my rig and the tires still look great. I do notice that the tires on the NV's are way bigger than the tires on the sprinters so I don't know if that makes a difference.
            If I were you, I would look at replacement very soon. Even though you have some tread depth, you have aged tires which are more prone to tread separation and blowout. Plus the rubber over time hardens which makes for a rougher ride and feel. Be safe Cocker.

Comment

My Titan tires are larger and last longer than both my vans as well and thats what he NV is based on.

If I recall though it wouldn't be a fair comparison wear wise anyway as your rig is missing some components that the WGT has to carry -

I think your build is missing a genset, 2nd dryer, AC , space heater, and a water heater- you carry more batteries, but your rig is still lighter.

UD

Comment

I've got about 63K miles on my 2011 and I'm on my third set of tires. I get them rotated every 3K miles along with the oil change. Twice they found a "slice" along the inside of the tire, where you couldn't see during a walk around. Neither time was the tire tread involved. The minute the Ford dealership guys say that the tires are looking vulnerable, I get them ALL changed.

Happy driving safely

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
                  My Titan tires are larger and last longer than both my vans as well and thats what he NV is based on.

If I recall though it wouldn't be a fair comparison wear wise anyway as your rig is missing some components that the WGT has to carry -

I think your build is missing a genset, 2nd dryer, AC , space heater, and a water heater- you carry more batteries, but your rig is still lighter.

UD
                  IDK five batteries at 150 pounds each add up. Plus I do have a second dryer. I don't know what a wagn tails weighs, but my rig is 8250lbs without water. I only know because I recycle at the landfill and I have to stop on the scales to tell them I'm just recycling.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                    If I were you, I would look at replacement very soon. Even though you have some tread depth, you have aged tires which are more prone to tread separation and blowout. Plus the rubber over time hardens which makes for a rougher ride and feel. Be safe Cocker.
                    I actually am Tom. I just finished my profit and losses through October (haven't done one since the home loan in June), and I am making WAY too much this year. I need some right offs and since we are supposed to have a hellish winter I need to make sure the tires are up to snuff. Tires sound like a great expensive right off. Getting a back up K-9II and a back up inverter as well. Next year I'm just not going to work as much.

Comment

IDK five batteries at 150 pounds each add up. Plus I do have a second dryer. I don't know what a wagn tails weighs, but my rig is 8250lbs without water. I only know because I recycle at the landfill and I have to stop on the scales to tell them I'm just recycling.
                      Haven't cat scaled the rig yet but its on an 11K GVWR platform.

Whatever gallons x 8.34 probably takes your rig to about 8800b of the 9500 the GVWR. pretty good load for sure.

You definitely have more lead than the WGT vans.
                      I recall you saying you couldn't mount a hitch gen because of weight and length.

UD
                      Last edited by Uncle Dave; 11-05-15, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X