HELP! NEW! Questions about insurance and such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! NEW! Questions about insurance and such

Hi everyone!! I am new to this site. Let me do a quick intro. My name is Erin, and I have been a pet stylist for just shy of a decade. I am ready to embark on a new mission and open my own mobile grooming "shop". I live in SoCal (the Inland Empire, to be specific). So anyhoo, I have been doing LOTS and LOTS of homework as far as opening a mobile grooming business and I have found out a lot about what I want and what I don't want. I am working on a business plan right now and I know every little detail (pretty much) as far as what I want and how I will get it. I bought the DIY Mobile Grooming Shop and Business Training book and DVD by Richard and Carol Doggett, and it has really helped me tremendously. I was going to buy a used already mobile grooming van, or a new van like wagntails, but I don't want to buy someone elses problem potentially and with wagntails, well it is absolutely magnificent, and I would love that, but holy cow is that expensive!!! So I've decided to build my own mobile grooming shop after buying a new van. Okay, so now to my serious questions that I need some serious answers to....

1. Since I will be mobile, do I need a county business license, or can I get a business license for the city that I live in?
    2. How do I obtain an EIN or a tax ID number?
    3. Do I need to register with the city or state?
    4. Should I become an LLC (Limited Liability Company), or what about a corporation? Is that the same thing? Sheesh, I am lost, haha!
    5. Who do I use to insure my grooming van???
    6. Do I myself also need to be insured, or just my van???
    7. How much money do y'all set aside for taxes? Do you do like 30%? And if so, then how much of your percentage... like do you do it daily, weekly, monthly?

Oh my goodness, like I said, I have mostly everything figured out, but this part of the business I feel like I am in the dark, so I need all the help I can get. I really appreciate it!!! If you are in Southern Cali that would be so much help if you could get back to me on the above!!! Thank you all so much! I look forward to talk with all of you more, I am soooo exited to finally be doing this!!

1. Since I will be mobile, do I need a county business license, or can I get a business license for the city that I live in?

Typically you will need a business license for each county you serve. Being CA you may need city licenses too. Just call and check, nobody is going to be able to give you those specifics.

If you are going to be a sole proprietor your social security number serves as your EIN

Register what?

4. Should I become an LLC (Limited Liability Company), or what about a corporation? Is that the same thing? Sheesh, I am lost, haha!

That depends. As a sole prop your personal property is at risk if someone decides to sue you. Weigh your odds and decide. They are not the same.

Most people go through governors. Don't forget to insure the build out too. Include that in the cost of your van.

Yes, you should absolutely carry liability insurance in case a dog gets injured in your care.

7. How much money do y'all set aside for taxes? Do you do like 30%? And if so, then how much of your percentage... like do you do it daily, weekly, monthly?

Again that depends on you. I have three kids and a husband who has taxes taken out of his check. At the end of the year we usually have a refund so I don't have to set aside anything for income tax. I am not required to pay quarterly because of this.
    If your tax liability will be over 1000 dollars than you will need to pay quarterly. Even if I had to I wouldn't specifically set money aside, I don't run my bank accounts down to where I couldn't come up with a grand or two easily. If I did, than I wouldn't have to pay quarterly again cause I wouldn't be making any money.
    Last edited by cockerlvr; 10-20-15, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for your time! I really appreciate it. I guess I need to contact a tax guy and also contact my city or county to find out about taxes and license stuff. Who do you use to insure yourself?

Comment

I use governors for both the van and my liability

Comment

Thanks so much for your help!! I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post

Typically you will need a business license for each county you serve. Being CA you may need city licenses too. Just call and check, nobody is going to be able to give you those specifics.

If you are going to be a sole proprietor your social security number serves as your EIN

Register what?

That depends. As a sole prop your personal property is at risk if someone decides to sue you. Weigh your odds and decide. They are not the same.

Most people go through governors. Don't forget to insure the build out too. Include that in the cost of your van.

Yes, you should absolutely carry liability insurance in case a dog gets injured in your care.

Again that depends on you. I have three kids and a husband who has taxes taken out of his check. At the end of the year we usually have a refund so I don't have to set aside anything for income tax. I am not required to pay quarterly because of this.
            If your tax liability will be over 1000 dollars than you will need to pay quarterly. Even if I had to I wouldn't specifically set money aside, I don't run my bank accounts down to where I couldn't come up with a grand or two easily. If I did, than I wouldn't have to pay quarterly again cause I wouldn't be making any money.
            Good job answering that cockerlvr. Nice of you.

Comment

Working...
            X