New in the mobile grooming business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New in the mobile grooming business

I had a meeting yesterday with the owner of the mobile grooming van. I have worked as a groomer in the a shop for about 3 years now. I heard that doing mobile grooming earns more. This is my first time to b working in a mobile grooming business. My question was. In the shop they pay me 50% commission. However the mobile grooming business offered me for every dog that I groom they have to take out $15. That $15 covers for gas and supplies like shampoo n I believe maintenance for the mobile van. Then whatever amount is left we split it 50/50. Does that sound fair enough? I am new to this business and any comments /suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Also I have not use clipper vac b4 I am sure I could learn it easily. I am nervous since this is the first time I will b grooming in a mobile van. I am sure it will b fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know I worked as a mobile employee a very short time. We had a similar arrangement, but if I had to drive over 15 minutes between appts I was compensated for the extra time. It makes a big difference to make sure you are working for a mobile company that CHARGES RIGHT. If you get into a company that tries to compete with salon prices, it ain't gonna work. Usually they don't but I have seen a few startups do that.

Comment

I charge a $20 trip fee which is separate from the groom charge. The groomers make between 50 and 55 percent of the groom charge which is typically 15 to 20 higher per groom than any shops around me. So the driving does not take away from their earnings. They in turn make more money doing less dogs and tips are very generous.

As long as the groom prices are strong, you should be fine. Minimum haircut full grooms should be 45, then the 15 on top.

Comment

I work for a company that charges a trip fee. This covers the gas, maintenance etc. I have been at it for four years, and I love it. I make great money, and I adore my clients and dog's. I get 50% comm., and they pay for all supplies except for my personal grooming equipment and bows and bandanas. I guess it all depends on the price of the groom, but in my opinion, I w wouldn't go for the 15 deduction. The clients we service have no problem with a trip fee.

Comment

Originally posted by schnlove View Post
          I work for a company that charges a trip fee. This covers the gas, maintenance etc. I have been at it for four years, and I love it. I make great money, and I adore my clients and dog's. I get 50% comm., and they pay for all supplies except for my personal grooming equipment and bows and bandanas. I guess it all depends on the price of the groom, but in my opinion, I w wouldn't go for the 15 deduction. The clients we service have no problem with a trip fee.
          Schnlove do you mean you get 50% of the trip fee too or 50% of the groom portion only?

Comment

I get 50% of the groom fee only. But they charge me $15 per dog.
            I am in California. I am not really sure if this is how they do it here. Thx for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Comment

I'm hoping to rent out my rig at least 1-2 days a week

It's in my mind, but I haven't committed to it. I'll take any info on this. Private IM's are good too, thx.
              Weighing the pros and cons. More cons as I see it so far.
              My phone rings more than I can get to.

Comment

Are you an employee or an IC?

Comment

Their 15 dollars is their trip fee. If the average shop price for a shih there is say 45, the mobile should be charging at least 60 for that plus the extra 15, so 75 for a shih. You will not be able to do as many dog mobile as you would in a shop, so definitely factor that all in before you decide.

Comment

I get 50% of the groom fee. The trip fee goes to the company.

Comment

I worked last Sunday and they assigned for me to groom 5 dogs. I am not sure if they charge trip fee to their customers but I have to pay $15 for each dog that I groomed. Say for example the total charged to groom a Shitzu is $75. They will deduct $15 from that $75 then the is $55 left. From $55 that would b 50/50. So basically out of that $75 that the owner of the van charge I only get $30. My question was is that fair? Or I am losing a lot. Pls help as I am new in the mobile grooming.

Comment

The $15 is not a trip fee. It's the fee that they charged me for every dog I groom. Say they charged a customer $75. Out if that $75 they will take out the $15 n what ever is left. We divide it in half. So basically I got $32.50 is that fair. Pls help as I am new in this business. Oh I still have a w2 I will b tax for that too. I do not mind paying tax but my ?
                        Is this right or I should get out if the deal. Pls pls reply

Comment

In a shop a Shihtzu here would go for around $45 and 50% would be $22.50, so you did $30 so not bad. Really would then depend upon how much grooming time went to travel time. So I think you are in a reasonable situation.

Comment

It is different from most mobile. You're right $15/dog doesn't sound like a trip fee. And $55/ shih is pretty cheap for mobile.

Are you classified as an employee or independent contractor?

Comment

I am an employee with w-2

Comment

Working...
                              X