Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission blowups

Hi-
    I have a 2014 Ford Wag n Tails- the pet pro. Our transmission blew up in July with only 15000 miles on it. Ok we replaced it etc etc... 2 months and 5000 miles later it just blew up again. Brand new transmission not rebuilt. The shop said it didn't seem heavy duty enough for the weight. Any one have a similar problem??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I heard the same thing from my mechanic this past summer when my 2008 Pet Pro lost a tranny after 90000 miles. I can't complain too much due to the high mileage. My new one is fine with about 7000 miles on it so far.

I said it in the past, these Ford Pet Pros were overbuilt to handle the weight. I lose rear tires every summer due to tread separation caused by extreme forces on the tire. The tranny is the same, extreme duty pulling all that weight. Overall, the engine is fine. The chassis is creaky now after 6 years and it rattles somewhat.

I wonder if you have the same tranny or Ford went with a different one for your 2014. I am glad Ford phased out the E vans and went with the new Euro style. I will be selling mine in the next year for a new one.

Comment

Thank you for your reply! I always value what you have to say on the forum! The first time it blew we were so mad at ford. They said it would take up to 3 weeks to go through warranty because they need to diagnose it and send the results back to ford and it all takes time etc etc. So we had it done elsewhere in 3 days and Ford ended up reimbursing us after I wrote to them. Now 2 months later I'm beginning to wonder if Wag N Tails might have missed the ball here!
      We also have a Transit that is 3 months old so knock on wood so far we really like it. As soon as I can I'll be trading on the E for a transit or sprinter.

Comment

I'm going to look into a used Wagn Tails Sprinter or Ford Transit in the next year or so. I built my newest van off the Dodge Ram Promaster 2500. I love the way I built it but it took 3 months and 12000 in parts on top of the 30k price. For the cost and 3 months of lost income, I could have paid a little more for a Wagn Tails and been on the road in 2 weeks making income. We average 400 per van per day. The 3 lost months hurt us. The water tanks alone took a month to come in.

Comment

Let us know what you do irish. My niece dreams of mobile and wants me to know what to do. Well that's not hard but vehicle wise counting on yall.

Comment

The best thing you can do for a van transmission is keep it cool by adding an external trans cooler - and change the fluid with drain and fills (vs power flushes) regularly.

These vans put tremendous strain on transmissions and heat is the enemy.
            Rule of is such

175°F = 100,000+ miles
            190°F = 90,000 miles
            210°F = 55,000 miles (Pressure Drops)
            230°F = 25,000 miles (Valves Stick)
            250°F = 17,000 miles (Varnish Forms)
            270°F = 4000 miles (Seals & Clutches Burn)
            300°F + = TRANSMISSION FAILURE

It isn't flashing up to these temps - its time spent at these temps that is the killer.

Cool it down lifespans goes up.

UD
            Last edited by Uncle Dave; 10-23-15, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
              The best thing you can do for a van transmission is keep it cool by adding an external trans cooler - and change the fluid with drain and fills (vs power flushes) regularly.

Rule of is such

175°F = 100,000+ miles
              190°F = 90,000 miles

It isn't flashing up to these temps - its time spent at these temps that is the killer.

UD
              Doesn't the wagn tails pet pro have a factory trans cooler on the E350?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                Doesn't the wagn tails pet pro have a factory trans cooler on the E350?
                Most all - but the implementation is variable- from year to year and package to package. From kind of lame to barely adequate.

I've seen trans cooler through the radiator - sub optimal as the trans can run no cooler than the water and can actually start pushing heat into the main engine radiator system.

. ..and a small external. The factory stuff when there and right - is second rate.

I pulled my fords out of the radiator and went external made a huge temp diff.

UD

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post

Rule of is such

175°F = 100,000+ miles
                  190°F = 90,000 miles

UD
                  Great info, never saw a list like this. Is it very expensive to add ext trans cooler? Would it affect warranties like Wag'n Tailz or Hanvey??

Comment

Originally posted by blingwithfur View Post
                    Great info, never saw a list like this. Is it very expensive to add ext trans cooler? Would it affect warranties like Wag'n Tailz or Hanvey??
                    There are lots of online sources for that trans temp info. Guys that tow a lot through the desert pay close attention to these temps.

Labor depends on what currently installed now and, and parts are variable in that coolers get more expensive the bigger you go - but you are limited base don what all fit. I can typically get the job done for under a grand which is money - but way cheaper than fixing a leaking or damaged transmission.

Does this void the warranty usually not but I can't say for certain. WAGn tale and Hanvey simply pass the factory warranty on to you so to them it wont matter.

If you plan on owning and driving a long time this mod makes lots of sense as the cost of being down a a day or two just by itself pays for the job.

UD

Comment

OUR NEW TRANSMISSION BLEW AGAIN!!! 3 TRANSMISSIONS IN A 2014 VAN!!!! I'm going to go cry in a corner now.

Comment

Originally posted by PocketsBugBeast View Post
                        OUR NEW TRANSMISSION BLEW AGAIN!!! 3 TRANSMISSIONS IN A 2014 VAN!!!! I'm going to go cry in a corner now.

Hmm . Curious.

1. Do you have a temp gauge installed?

2. What is the rear end ratio on that van? (3:08 3:23 3:43 3:55 3:73 4:11) Im guessing its on etc low end - maybe not.

3. what are the conditions present when it blows- in city driving/freeway driving

Comment

Wow that seems odd.

Comment

Wow, so sorry. That's just awful!

Comment

Working...
                            X