Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone tell me more about generators

Hi,
    I have been looking at used mobile grooming vans and trailers that I would like to be able to use as a stationary salon at my home and have clients meet me there. that way I have everything I need in a space away from the house and I can just hook it up and move it if I need to. I did do mobile for awhile at another place and ultimately quit because driving and finding the houses gave me really bad anxiety. Anyway my question is that most of the used trailers I have seen do not come with generatiors. I don't know anything about generators but I did look at them and they seem to be quite pricey. Are they something that goes out quite often how long of use do you usually get out of one before it needs replaced and what kind of maintenance work do you generally have to do for them. I was originally thinking if I could hook it up to use the electrical from my home that would be great but I don't think I would be able to use everything I need to use that way. If you have any information or suggestions on generators I would greatly appreciate it.

There is no doubt you need to run off your house power. It will be the most cost effective way. Yes, you need an electrician to give you a 30 amp power outlet and breaker but you cannot compare that one time cost versus what a generator would cost, plus fuel, maintenance and also dealing with generator noise that will eventually drive you and your neighbors crazy.

If I could, I would plug my vans into customer houses on every appointment, but in most instances, it's not doable. We would be popping breakers and choosing between dryer and air conditioner, not both.

Comment

Thanks, I will look into that. So if I had a 30 amp power outlet and breaker I should be able to run what what I needed In the trailer without any problems, correct. Sorry if my questions sound silly but I really do not understand anything about the generators or the electrical aspect. I don't mind a bit of a startup cost but I'm looking for something that I will hopefully be able to maintain with Minimal mintanance in the long run.

Comment

Also will most trailers come with the ability to be plugged into a homes electrical or is getting it wired for that something I would need to look into also.

Comment

Ideally, you would want an electrician give you (2) dedicated outlets for your trailer keeping it separate from your house applicances. A 20 amp and 30 amp outlets would be ideal so you can split your power coming from the trailer. You can have any air conditioner on the trailer going to 1 outlet all by itself (20 amp). The rest of the power such as dryer, lights, water heater, clippers, etc can all go through the 30 amp outlet.

Comment

A little off topic, but stuff to think about on top of everything else:
            Make sure you can run a business off your property.
            Most HOA's and landlords frown mightily on it, and if you don't have either one of those, sometimes neighbors can be pissy.
            Your insurance may be different, too since it's stationary. If you own, you may want to contact your home owners insurance and ask them.
            Best of luck getting your new biz off the ground!

Comment

I am sure neighbors would complain. I notice when we used emergency generators you can hear them quite a distance away.

Comment

My husband wired a trailer for me to build into a grooming trailer. If that's what you mean by wiring it. Everything in the trailer is on its own breaker. Might be a little over kill but it works. I have a small 3000 generator only thing I can't do is run the water heater and the dryer. So after bathing I flip the breaker for the water and all is good. Might add I have no ac.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X