Trailer Vs. Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Vs. Van

Okay, I am thinking that I would prefer to get a grooming trailer once I get started. I was wondering if you guys would like to give your opinions of pros and cons of either one as well as your experiences. Thanks for your ideas!

I like grooming trailers because you can always rent or borrow a tow vehicle if your's breaks down, but you can't exactly "rent or borrow" a grooming van if your's breaks down! I also like the idea of being able to unhitch your business (grooming trailer) and use the tow vehicle as a regular vehicle around town, whereas you may want to have a second vehicle if you own a grooming van.
    Last edited by pamperedpups; 01-08-07, 04:50 PM.

Comment

My hubby and I discussed this at great length. We both decided it would be a better idea for a trailer so we wouldn't have the added maintenance of a third vehicle. Also as pamperedpups mentioned if your tow vehicle breaks down it's much easier to rent or borrow a tow vehicle, you don't have that option with a van. If the van breaks down your business is down until you can get the needed repairs.

Comment

Plus, the trailers are cheaper than most vans and have more room
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Great point Nicole. It will also depend on how comfortable you are towing a trailer. I would prefer a van.
          "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
          Nancy

Comment

Or you could be like me,,Don' get me around a trailer.. lol..I'd spend most of my time jack knifed in someones pond. Good point about the break downs. I'll just have to suffer. BTW I love my bus!

Comment

Good points

Good points! The only worry I have is driving and parking while pulling a trailer. I suppose that I can learn how to do that though, and I'm sure that it will become second nature once I've been doing for a while. Thanks everyone!

Comment

I think a large part of your decision will be based on where you live and the community you will be serving. Towing, parking and maneuvering a trailer in a city or large town would be, in my opinion, difficult. Parking along the streets where there may be other cars parked and in general driving, backing up etc. In a rural environment this isn't as big of an issue. Also, your own abilities and comfort in driving a trailer, hitching it, unhitching it etc. This is all hard work that to me would get old if you don't have a man around all the time to help out. I personally, would never consider a trailer for these reasons.....plus, I couldn't legally park a trailer on the street at my house due to city code, and I couldn't park it in my driveway due to neighborhood rules. My van is not problem. But I know there are people who love trailers, so it is really a personal preference.

Comment

You make hitching and unhitching sound so hard. It takes me 2 minutes lol. All ya do is parks it. cholk the wheels and crank it up off the ball. Now hitching up takes me more like 4 minutes. I found these really coold things that help you line up the trailer and the hitch from inside the vehicle. They are bright orange, so you can see them. When they touch together, all you have to do is get out and cranks it down, hook the chains and plug in the receptical. I know it is not as easy as just getting in your van and driving away lol.

Comment

hitching

well, the only experience i have with hitching and unhitching is with marine craft and I despise it. I try to stay away from trailers in general, lol.

Comment

Lisa where did you find the cool orange things? I just know I'm probably going to need them LOL

Comment

I had a trailer and now a van

I had a trailer first and now I have a van.
                        I liked the trailer b/c there is more space inside for 2 people, and the option of if something happening to your truck you can rent another one is a pro.
                        But, parking can be very stressful at times... you are very long and wide and if you have a client on a narrow street, or a busy street with no where to park that can be a huge problem. Of course I live in an area that has lots of one way streets and deadends. Not to mention the trailer was not my favorite in bad weather. If you live in a warm climate, no problem.

I prefer the van b.c it is easy to park, I don't take up half the street. I also feel safer driving in bad weather. It is much easier to operate and feels just like driving a regular truck. The van is good for me b/c it is only me working expect me dragging my husband with me to help on the weekends and it can get a little tight, but I don't mind it at all. And, it is easier to clean with less space.

Comment

Originally posted by greymom View Post
                          Lisa where did you find the cool orange things? I just know I'm probably going to need them LOL
                          Here is the link http://garage-toys.com/alquichitgui.html

Comment

Love my trailer!

I tow a trailer in a Phoenix suburb. Many of my clients have little or no street parking. I can back my trailer into it's small space at a storage facility, back in and out of narrow driveways, etc. It takes me as little as a few minutes to hitch up on a good day, and maybe 5 or a bit more if I have to re-align several times. (I would looooove mirror on my trailer!) The first few times scared the **** out of me, but with my hubby to help, practice made perfect. I never fear towing it or parking it. You just have to accelerate a little slower, take it slow over railroad tracks and speed bumps, keep a careful distance between you and cars in front of you and keep an eye on your trailer mirrors to keep within your lane. To keep my morning routine at a minimum, I clean the trailer, fill the fresh tank, empty the old tank, put a new trash bag in, take home any low or empty supply bottles and check my fuel supply for the genny every night. I bring towels fresh each morning and leave the house about 45 minutes prior to my first appt. My travel time to the storage facilty for the trailer is 15 - 20 mins, depending on traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
                              Very cool I'll have to order two sets. The hubby could use one for the boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X