Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I expect Client to Replace E collar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I expect Client to Replace E collar?

Groom before last a Shi-Tzu client s' dog w/ bad skin and improving cuz of my products used my e collar and then lost it. She said she didn't need it and could not find it. She offered to replace it and for me to let her know the cost. Today she made another appt for next Wed. I said I would bring the catalog to show her the price of collar. She seemed surprised I expected her to pay for the lost one. Well, how much are they? she asked. This e collar had snaps and a good one I used to do nails sometimes. With s&h could be $15.00. She is kind of cheap and wasn't going to have me when I raised my price. I said same price you pay now w/ the tip. So, does she owe me a new collar? I think she thought it was a throw away and does not want to say. She won't want to replace it. How RUUUUUUUDE!This was like new and hard to find.I have to dig around for old catalogs as not everything is in ea one. I think anytime anyone borrows something and looses it, they should replace it whether I am a groomer or a friend it isn't a groomer/client thing it is just ther RIGHT thing to do.

What’s right and wrong to everyone isn’t the same, Yes rightfully she borrowed it lost it and should replace it BUT there doesn’t sound like there was a clear understanding when she left the shop that the collar was on loan, what it’s value was and when it needed to be returned by. You may just have to chalk this one up as lesson learned, never let anyone borrow anything or at lest get a agreement or deposit up front to ensure safe return.

Comment

I am Mobile

Yes, she knew I was lolaning it to her, because I said I would get it from her next groom visit. It wasn't a cheap piece of plastic like v ets sell for $3.00. It was a good strong one with snaps for different size necks. Last visit when due to return she didn't even look for it and said she did't remember where she put it and offered to pay for new one. Send me a note w/ price she said! Now, she doesn't want to pay. I don't have a shop with items for sale or papers to sign for loans on E collars etc. It was just a jesture to keep him from licking his belly. Then he did't even NEED it. I don't like cheap people anyway. I still get paid the same but now it is no long w/ a tip. She lives a good 20 miles one way. Won't make appts in advance but when she calls and he is a big mess, she wants me asap. Dog is nice.

Comment

chalk it up to lesson learned. Don't loan stuff to anyone especially clients.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

If you feel she should replace it why not just add the cost to her next grooming bill.

Comment

Sorry Jane but once again you are too nice to people. I would have told her to go to the vet and get one or ordered one in for her to buy. For a small dog like that I bought one for $8 one time. Why go through the hassle with people. Don't let people borrow your stuff, especially a client, it will only lead to problems. Also, just because you are mobile doesn't been you can sell anything or have her sign a form. You should be having them sign a release form anyway for liability. Also I would never mention anything about a tip. That turns people off about tipping, even if you were trying to make her realize about the price increase.

Comment

Sounds like you don't really need her, Bill her for it to be paid before the next visit, if she won't then don't groom her dog. She may not be back and you may not get paid but at lest you won't have to deal with her again. Sometimes it just dosn't pay to be nice.

Comment

You are running a business. In business there is no such thing as products and services on loan or borrow. Big business doesnt work like this and neither should you. If it wasnt ment to be thrown away then it should never be given out. People have no clue as to what things cost. They have no clue how important your products mean to you. This was a bad call on your end. Cough it up as a loss and never give your STUFF out to anyone unless there is a dollar bill at the end of it.
                Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Yes she should pay for the e collar but if she will is another question. Some people don't have a good moral compass. To make is easier for her maybe just tell her the price of the e collar and not the shipping. Wait till you need to buy supplies and then the shipping cost shouldn't matter that much. Hope this helps

Comment

You should have never given it to her if you wanted it back. She could get her own E collar if she needed one, or you could have sold it to her when you gave it to her. I am not sure why you would have given it to her to begin with...it wasn't like it was a huge emergency need....and if it was a vet would have been the proper course of action. Vets don't give out E collars on loan. It is like loaning money, never loan money if you expect or need to get it back. You are going to lose this client over this issue unless you let it go, but it might be too late already for that.

Comment

Hangin Stuff on Walls?

Ok, what do ya'll use in your mobile grooming trailers to hang things up, or on?
                      I would like a clipper holder, blade holder maybe, something...what is the trick..I need a few helpful hints.

Comment

I use velcro and GOOP no nails or screws. Sometimes velcro doesn't hold well, so I out goop between the two pieces, this way it still prtects my walls but holds like a mothaa :-)

Comment

This, unfortunately, is not a perfect world with perfect people in it, doing the perfect thing. If it was there wouldn't be any question on her replacing the E collar, she would have already done it before you ever asked her about it.

I'm sorry I have to agree with most everyone has said. You shouldn't have let her use, it is part of your equipment. You wouldn't loan out your dryer, scissors, clippers, brushes, combs why loan out an E collar? Sometimes we have to bite the tongue and not be so nice and don't offer things. When your a nice person it is hard to do this. You're going to have to be a little more not so nice.

Better buy yourself a new E collar and when this client calls again, you're way tooooooooo busy to groom her dog, you're book out 10 months!!!!!
                          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                          Diane

Comment

Get a deposit

Nice people seem to always finish last. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. What we do is charge clients a deposit of 20.00 at the time the collar is loaned out. We either collect 20 cash or have them post-date a check for 30 days out. A couple days after that date rolls around, & no collar, the check gets cashed.... end of discussion. We do usually try to call a couple days before the date just to give a friendly reminder (but we do NOT "mention" that we are going to do this) when we are making the "loan". That way if we cannot touch base w/them we can still cash the check. Hope this helps for the future, Janna

Comment

I would count it as a loss and don't lend it out again!! People definitely won't understand that its a higher quality one.

My vet send my dog home with a neck brace majigy... I brought him for a re-check without it and they sent him home with a new one...
                              long story... I ended up with three and have only managed to return one. They charged me for one with his surgery but the other two I think were loaned... oops...

Comment

Working...
                              X