Yellow Pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Pages

Good morning this questions for those who use the yellow pages. Has being in the yellow pages help your business?I need to decied if I want have an ad in it.they need it by the end of the month. It's 140 a month for a 1x1 inch ad. With start up cost for My mobile business has been costly and if putting a ad help you I do it. I'm added automaticly for getting a bus phone one line is included to high light that line is 29.00 a month Thanks Robin

You definitely want to be in the phone book, but might not need the ad. How many other groomers are in the book?

I know that when I use the yellow pages, I would call each listing (ignoring the ads.. I just look at the single name lines with the #).. and talk with each one to get a feeling for who I want to try first.

The more groomers there are to compete with, the more likely you'll want to spend the extra money on a bigger ad...

But that sounds really pricey.. think about what other forms of advertising you could be doing with that budget that might draw people to using you.

Good luck!

Comment

Yes you should spend money on advertising, try diffenent phone books, some work better than others.

Comment

WOW!!! That's a LOT for a new ad! Did you ask if you get a discount for being a new business? I did and got 50% off for the first year! Ask what the price of a 1/2" X 1" would be and also what it would cost to get a box around your in-column phone number-that should be cheaper by far IMO. In one book that I advertise in I have a box around my ad; the text is "Professional Mobile Pet Grooming" and my web addy & phone number. That ad costs me $55/monthly and includes a listing on the web site. I am not in such a large area that I can afford to NOT be in the YP but there are those who are! Good luck to you!!!!!!!!

Oh, LOL!! Yes, being the YP and on the YP web site has helped my business. Mobile was sort of new to one area and the phone book has really helped in that area.

Comment

The add can help but the 29.00 highlight might do just as well leaving you some funds to place some adds in local papers for areas you want to target.You vehicle is the best add you'll ever get. I have endured a self aflicted experiment for the last two years with regards to the van graphics. They make more of difference then you might expect. In previous years I kept the van marked large enough for it to be read from a distance of a quarter mile or more very distinct looking scheem and color.If you look like everyone ells and blend into ablivion then you won't be noticed.The two most important peices of info are your a mobile groomer and you tell# the rest is just fluff and legality's.Fluff is nice but it should not detract from the two more important things.
          Large phone book adds work better for shops because they can do enough work to justify it.A mobile unit is greatly limited in the number of pets it can service. I am going to guess by the price of the add your in a densely populated area and it will not be a problem provided your not over pricing your self too much.

Comment

Yes, Yes Yes. My ad has generated alot of business. I just got a small box with a little blurb in it and I get calls all of the time from it. I also joined the Chamber of Commerce and it has paid for it self.
            "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
            Nancy

Comment

70% of my business is now word of mouth, and the rest is almost all Yellow Pages. But the Yellow Pages got most of my original clients when I started. Sometimes people forget the phone # and it's easy for them to find you if you're in there.

Comment

Yes you deffinately need to have an ad in the Yellow Pages. It really helps when you are just starting out. When I first started I had the one inch ad, then I went down to the 1/2 inch. Then for a couple of years I just had the one line highlighted. Now I don't have anything in the Yellow Pages. I just get customers by refferal now. I was getting 20 or 30 calls a day when I had my ad in. That was just too much. I didn't have time to make that many phone calls to tell people that I had one or two openings left in the next month. You will be really happy when you get to that point, and really tired too.

Comment

I didn't take out a yellow pages ad, mainly because of the guy that called me twice a day and it was really annoying me. lol. I'm now in the white pages, but get this...they didn't put me in the right spot alphabetically. My name is "No Place Like Home" but they put me after the last name of Nunez. You really have to look to see it. arggghhh

For me, I found the best type of formal advertising was an add in the small local papers that get mailed to people's houses every week. They have all the events going on and have articles about the towns that draw people in. I got alot of customers that way when I first started. I did ads for 5 weeks in a row and now am doing one in another area, but that's it. I really don't need to advertise right now, because I'm super busy. Guess I just like seeing my name in print. lol
                  don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

when I strated my mobile I was in the local newpaper that was the only thing I did I an very busy I spend nothing a guy can out did pictures and a story and that was it.

Comment

Definitely put an add in the phone book.. Around here they have a local tel phone book with covers about 3-4 towns which is much cheaper than verizon.
                      I put my adds is those books and I get calls all the time from them. I put a picture of my van in the add.
                      If you have local phone books try those as they are cheaper.. I went with that and I too get a free listing in the Verizon Yellow pages just with my #.
                      Also it can be costly, it will pay off in the end. The start of costs are tough to get through I know, but you definitely will be happy when those calls come in.

Comment

I actually put in an ad on Yellowpages.com and for $35/mth I get the ad
                        online (@ yellowpages.com) with a space to talk about my business (services, hours, etc) and a link to my website. THEN....when I got the Yellowpages phone book I did not even know it but I also got a one line ad there too!

Now you can go I think as cheap a one liner on line for free or you can pay more than $35 and get even more (just check the website). They just bill you monthly. I have gotten alot of phone calls and emails as a result of this. I started with it last July and wish I would have done it sooner.
                        Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by dogsdayspa View Post
                          when I strated my mobile I was in the local newpaper that was the only thing I did I an very busy I spend nothing a guy can out did pictures and a story and that was it.
                          How do you get them to do a story on you. There is only 1 other mobile in my area and she has not been accepting new clients for like 3 yrs. I started too late to get in the phone book and it it killing me.
                          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

how to get an article....

It really depends on where you live...if you are in a large city the chances of an article are much less than a smaller one. But in any case, contact the news paper and speak to whoever is in charge of the business section. Tell them you are a new business and see if they ever write articles on new businesses in the area. Maybe you will be in luck! Sometimes all it takes is asking. I did that, and they came out and took pics of me and my van and wrote a very nice article on the business that really helped me when I started. I also missed the YP (actually they left me out) and was without an ad for a year...that hurt a lot. When I actually did get my ad in YP the next year it made a world of difference and still does. Most people go to the phone book to look up a place. In fact, I had several people who used me the first year and then I didn't hear from them again until my YP ad came out. They told me they lost my number and couldn't find it in the phone book and couldn't remember my business name, so they took the dog somewhere else. I think my ad is like $45/month and it is 1x1 or so. I also took another very small ad out in a second, but popular, phone book in my area and all it lists is my business name, phone number and web address. We will see what that produces. I am hoping people will go to the web site, read the info and then call me all ready to book!

Comment

No I didn't. The ad would of cost me 400 for a one line ad. Couldn't afford it at the time..Maybe in Sept. when they all come out again.

Comment

Working...
                              X