Would You Groom This Dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Groom This Dog?

Some people won't take a hint or NO for an answer, and some you can't convince to try you. This man a para (wheel chair) has an Aussie shepherd that needs baths often and itches all the time coughing up fur. He said been to several vets to no avail. I suggested The Missing Link supplements. Dog has open sores on rear he said and wants a bath and trim hoping he will feel better. I don't groom dogs over 40lbs. He has someone to lift him. I tried to get out of it and he kept insisting It woulod not be hard. Wellll, Sat I am going to see. If I think it is a bad idea, I will not trim. Would you do this dog? Open sores stink too. Why do I get myself in these arangements? I don't wanna dooooo it! I quoted 10 more than many charge for a shi tzu. I don't have specific forms for dogs w/sores, just old or matted Barkleigh forms. The find blameless ones are all used and I didn't save a blank on e to copy from. I know, if I don't wanna, then don't. So he gets mad if I back out....so what?Dog has his own shampoo. Listerine wouold STING any ohter remedies? No one knows why this dog has skin problems, so he said.

My experience has been if they warn you about everything up front, it will not be that bad. The people who have the nasty dogs don't care or comment... they don't seem to realize other people have a gag reflex.

Comment

What is he feeding? If it has corn, then it is likely he has a food allergy. Does the dog have fleas? Either could cause chewing to a bloody pulp. I would use a soap free oatmeal/ teatree type shampoo. The trim would be good to expose underlying issues. But, if the sores are on the hind end, it's probably chewing them. I can't stand to see a dog suffer- but I would carefully evaluate it for signs of infection. If infected, steer clear. Go to vet and get course of antibiotics and wound wash to keep them clean. An E- collar could help, but unless the root of the problem is found, it will just start up again when the collar is gone.

Comment

Check the dog out if you want to. But if you have any inklings that you do not want to do this dog...I call it the dread factor...if I am dreading doing a certain dog, I get rid of it. I didn't get in this business to dread my day. I just call them and say that I will not be able to groom you dog, here is the number of someone who might be able to help you. Thanks and good luck. Period, end of story. Don't get sucked into a discussion or pleading. Just unburden yourself if you want to be free of it.

Comment

I agree with Lucy, it sounds like food allergies or fleas to me. I am a vet tech and worked in Universities and clinics for 12 years, in my experience when a person says "vet's don't knowwhat the problem is" it usually means one of two things: the client doesn't want to spend the money on the recommended treatment or doesn't want to spend the money on recommended tests. A good vet will not throw their arms in the air and give up on a dog in distress. For me, I have a policy that I will not groom a dog with open wounds until the vet has taken care of it. If you groom this dog, hair will fall in the open wound, possibly introducng new bacteria. Unless you are using an antibacterial shampoo, the bacteria will still be there after the bath.
          Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

All the posts had great advice and I couldn't agree more. I am guilty of the dread factor from time to time as well as a few other factors that aren't mentioned - slowly but surely I'm growing a spine. I understand where you're coming from and it's hard not to get cornered with pleading. If you're going to be checking the dog out on Sat. I would get some options ready for this client now. If you really don't want to do this dog and then when you see it you know for certain, I would have a card ready with a Vet groomer name and number on it and just plainly and simply state the facts that this is your recommendation becuase you're not able to groom a pet under these circumstances. It may not be as bad as you think though, so wait until you can evaluate it before you decide. But if you're thinking no now, you will most likely think no when you see it. Don't feel bad about saying no, we all give ourselves the guilt trip, but the guilt will cloud our judgement and get us into things we normally wouldn't do - then comes the regret. So don't feel guilty (I am in need of taking my own advice). Hoping for the best mustluv! Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

I would call ahead and mention that you also need a veterinarian's statement that the sores are not in any way contagious before you are even willing to show up to see the dog. Don't accept having the vet call you, insist on getting contact information for the vet so you can call and verify yourself. (this information can be cross referenced in the phone book to be sure you are truly contacting a vet and not someone posing as one)

Me, I would do the dog provided it got a vet ok. Mostly for the sake of the dog as sores hidden by hair quite often this time of year get fly eggs laid in them and then you end up with maggot filled sores. REALLY smelly and gross! The sores will heal much faster after the dog is shaved as they can be found and treated. I agree that diet is probably the underlying cause of this dog's problems, but wouldn't rule out fleas either.

As for what to bathe it in, I would use a prescription shampoo provided by their vet, bathe twice and let it soak. Course I would have quoted much more than only $10 more than a small dog. More like an additional $10 for size, another $10 for "special handling" and possibly more based on difficulty of the groom due to condition of the pet. All in all, this dog will likely take you at least double the amount of time it would take you to groom the average shih-tzu.

Comment

Working...
              X