Qustion(long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qustion(long)

Hey everyone I have a question I have been mobile for almost a year,I most of the time love it, but this have really caught me off graud, I have found myself with no life,no friends, nothing but the business ,has this happenen to any of you guys I did not have a big friend base before but was happy but with the past year and starting the business they have all just gone away most of them don`t understand the time it takes to start a mobile , then come home clean the van,go to bed and start all over again the next day and with my family, and my dogs which have to get groomed and walked and petted and talked to I have a great life I just wished I had people sometimes to share it with to.

Yeah, but isn't it fun? lol NO life here..is there life beyond grooming? More on the serious side, same here. I think that's about true for any new business. lol and at last count you have 237 new friends..here..Welcome..

Comment

I have learned(after a slight argument with my husband to make time for my family and friends. I always take Sunday off. Also Friday & Sat nights. It was really hard at first because I had just opened and still after a year will not turn down a new client but I have learned to say my next available is.
      Most people are great about it. If you can afford it cut back by 1 on Friday and plan a date night or a girls night out. Follow thru you will be happier for it
      "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
      Nancy

Comment

Agility or other activites

You might want to take up agility or some other activity with your dogs. It's fun and there are other people in class every week. It gives you a chance to meet lots of people with a common interest. Most of my friends are from years of going to horse or dog related activites.

Comment

I learned as you get older and your life changes, family grows, so do your friends and sometimes you grow apart. My best friend of 22 yrs and I have not spoke since the end of Oct. She recently had twins. Now I only have you guys. lol
          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

friends

I too found that true. I have a stand alone salon. when I first started I rented my space from a vet. They seemed ok with that, but when I started making really good money, bought a home,new car..things like that, they just started fading away. I had money to do things with, when they were broke most of the time, but I always took them out for dinner or would pay their way to a movie. It never bothered me to do those things as Im such a giver anyway. God blesses those who give. besides, I might be in the same boat again one day, you never know. We touch base every now and then, but still they don't come around like they used to. especially since I have my own shop now. I work, go home, clean house, clean shop, pay bills, file..so much to do running a home and a business I really don't do much more than that. I am going to see Charlottes web this weekend one way or the other lol

Comment

I swear since I started my mobile business and the kids are grown my only friends are other groomers or clients. Of course some of those clients were friends first but some of them were clients first. And I have gained a bunch of mothers. I have a Jewish mother, a Swedish mother and a German mother now, they all worry about me and feed me whenever I come to groom their dogs. And they all complain because I don't come visit them more often.

Comment

Thanks Guys I do feel like I can come here to talk to people who understand and can relate. Thanks for the pep talk! Holly

Comment

My best friend and I are still best friends, and she can't relate to grooming (or animals) much but she tries. When I got my job at the animal hospital, she acted more excited than I did, she was happy for me and that made me feel good.

To stay friends, you have to offer some of your time to them. You cannot eat, drink, and sleep grooming. You'll burn yourself out. You MUST set aside family and friend time or you'll find yourself alone with no one to lean on when times are difficult. You'll also end your career earlier if you think of nothing else.

When getting together with friends and/or family, you can't talk about grooming constantly or you'll drive 'em nuts. Do the groom-talk with us, and do the other-talk with friends. Good luck!

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I've found myself in the same situation, and honestly, I think we need outside interests to be well rounded people. Yes, there is a life outside of dogs and grooming.

I sing when I get the chance. Usually karoake, but I'm planning on joining the local community chorus the next time they have open auditions.

I play pool at the corner bar & grill. I don't play well, but it's time away from anything related to dogs. And I've met some very interesting (and super nice) people. One is an ex-Marine, who now does all the work on my car. One is an electrician, who also loves to cook, so we swap recipes, and this summer his family and mine will be having a big bar-b-que cook-off. His wife is a public health nurse. We swap interesting stories, lol. And one is a retired real estate investor who is going to help me with financing to make my bow business a reality.

Dedicate a couple of hours a week to something YOU want to do. Find an interest somewhere. Sing, play a sport, go to flea markets (and forget to look for things to make bows from), find some way to get out and socialize with people who are not groomers. Your brain will thank you for it.

Comment

I've been dealing with this with our store (a retail game store).

We wake up, get kids off to school, run errands, got to work at noon.. work till 9:30-10:30 at night, go home and go to bed. House cleaning? What's that? We don't spend anywhere enough time with our children..

So my hubby is keeping the store, and I'll be doing the dog grooming.. but I'm hoping that the grooming will have more "daytime" hours, and at least I can be home in the evenings to help prepare my children/house for the next day. Cooking dinner? Haven't done it in 3 years, other than on holidays.

Fortunately we get some social life on Saturday since we host games in the store and our friends come for a game that day. (We are closed on Sunday, and Monday 8 months of the year).

Comment

You need to take control of your business and not let clients run your business.

When you do scheduling, you must schedule for yourself, time for family, and such. Posted hours are just that.

Comment

I think all new businesses demand almost all of your waking time and a lot of your sleeping time LOL!! I decided long ago that when I owned my own business I wouldn't work Mondays...and Tuesdays were iffy. Saturday wasn't a problem for me since I put myself through college as a cocktail waitress working only Friday and Saturday nights and was used to not having a Saturday. Even in my office life (pre-grooming) I worked Saturdays because the computers were faster then and I could get more done LOL!!

Decide what time you want for YOU and YOUR life and book it! I book my own pets' grooming time, I book my "me" time (mental health days are optional but I need them, too, on occasion) and I looked at my life and decided what was important and made time or took the time for those events in my life. I find out about a dog show or trade show or tractor show or whatever I want to go to and I book that time and I go or I take the time to plant my garden in the spring-whatever I want to do. I guess what I'm saying in a round about way is that you must take time for yourself even if you have to carve that time out with a shear. As someone else said learn how to say "I'm booked that day, how about _______?" It is very liberating!!! Good luck to you!!!!!!

Comment

Well, we'll have to have a long top when I come down to visit the end of this month. Honestly, it's kind of strange. I started my own business so I could make my own hours, groom whatever dogs I wanted to, and have time to spend with my husband. It's really difficult. You want to make hay while the sun shines, but don't want to lose yourself either.

Since moving to Connecticut, my husband and I haven't made too many friends. I have groomer friends that I used to work with and we get together once in awhile. I met a girl who has a portugese waterdog, on the internet, whose mother lives near me, and we get together once in awhile. I started taking my poodle to obedience classes and have met people...but its all dog related! My husband is in a classic rock band (plays the bass). I go and listen to him play once in awhile, but sitting alone in a bar isn't my idea of a good time.

I think when you open your own business, you feel the pressure of wanting to do well, and wanting to be successfull and make higher than "good" wages. You kind of feel guilty (I do anyway), if you turn someone away when you have a little extra time.
                            don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                              My best friend and I are still best friends, and she can't relate to grooming (or animals) much but she tries. When I got my job at the animal hospital, she acted more excited than I did, she was happy for me and that made me feel good.

To stay friends, you have to offer some of your time to them. You cannot eat, drink, and sleep grooming. You'll burn yourself out. You MUST set aside family and friend time or you'll find yourself alone with no one to lean on when times are difficult. You'll also end your career earlier if you think of nothing else.

When getting together with friends and/or family, you can't talk about grooming constantly or you'll drive 'em nuts. Do the groom-talk with us, and do the other-talk with friends. Good luck!

Tammy in Utah
                              What else is there to talk about lol
                              If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Working...
                              X