Cold Weather Driving in Vans/Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Weather Driving in Vans/Snow

Hi again, I am just full of need for help, ha. Anyway I need some info from those of you who mobile groom in cold weather/snow.

I am moving from 110 heat and barely enough cold to put on a sweater to possibly getting snowed in every now and again. This is in the same state!

I am considering taking my van with me for the five months I will be living in the mountains. I am told I may get snowed in, not often, but every now and again. It is forest and there is cold and slippery weather.

My question to you Mobile folks that do business in slippery, icy or snow. Do I need to get chains or how do you go about your business. I know your answer will be carefully, ha, but do the WagnTails large vans do well in bad weather. I know wind will blow my high top all over the place. I drove it to my state from Colorado and even a semi-truck had me zig zagging back and forth.

Originally posted by Dixie9 View Post
    My question to you Mobile folks that do business in slippery, icy or snow. Do I need to get chains or how do you go about your business. I know your answer will be carefully, ha, but do the WagnTails large vans do well in bad weather. I know wind will blow my high top all over the place. I drove it to my state from Colorado and even a semi-truck had me zig zagging back and forth.

Uggghhhh.... you don't even want to know. If you thought the trucks were bad - wait until you hit a patch of ice... I hated Winters in my WNTs. They are definitely notr user friendly in the Winter - I could not imagine them in mountainous country...

Comment

Hi Dixie,

This winter was my first with my WNT. I was actually quite surprised at how well it did in the bad weather. In fact, the day that I picked it up was the same day that we had a record-setting ice storm here in my part of Michigan. Mind you, I live in a relatively flat area so not a lot of hills to negotiate on the ice and snow. Just take it slow and easy. I worry more about the wind and the freezing of the plumbing than I do about gripping the road in snow/ice. We are not allowed to have chains here, anyway.

Comment

it depends on the terrain. here in tropical ct. everything is a hill and a curve. i do a great deal of rescheduling in bad weather. sometimes mother nature cooperates and snows on my days off. there are some streets i won't go on even if it is a just a coating.
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I am in the Chicago suburbs with a WNT and I had no problem in the snow, I did cancel for 2 big storms though. I just drove carefully just like I do in a car and I thought it was O.K.
          What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

I Feel Like A Big Sissy

Here I am asking about driving in sissy snow in Arizona when you guys in the big leagues from Michigan, Connecticut and New Jersey are telling me your snow driving experiences. I feel a tad wimpy

Comment

Could you rent a little place in the snow season?

Could ya keep a little ad in the phone book and drive down the hill to warmer climate in the cold season? Groom in both areas depending on weather? You know, how snowbirds do it. Many RV parks would allow a van since they have RVs already. Just a thought. Or, would it not be cost effective to be one area a few days and warmer no snow the other few days? I actually know a groomer who went back and forth from Phoenix to LA til she built up south of PHX and dropped LA. One week here, one week ther. I know gas prices make it near impossible. Just thinkin on the kep board.

Comment

Working...
              X