Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got my trailer Sunday!! (long, sorry)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I got my trailer Sunday!! (long, sorry)

    First off, midway through going from northern Jersey to Conn. Joe calls and says I got directions to the wrong address.....oops. So he corrects and I go on my merry way. I get there and I get a verbal crash course explaining what everything did. First thing I do in leaving is take a wrong turn and I have to turn around and back it up alone with only having had an hour of trailer training a week ago. Did it ok and called Joe again to get me back on course. In upper NY (going to my friend's wedding) I end up going through a yellow light and a red light because I couldn't stop the trailer in time (my bad! I'm 2500 lbs heavier!). Luckily both were on quiet (and beautiful) route 100 near Ossining and no cops around. I pass the wedding place and end up having to turn around in this tight neighborhood. Again, no troubles. I pull into the parking lot hoping for pull through parking...none, but I parallel parked that S.O.B without a hitch! (no pun intended) Except...nearly getting the trailer entangled in pine branches and xmas lights... wedding was beautiful and lasted longer than I expected. I wanted to be going back to my aunt and uncle's in Jersey before dark....didn't happen. Having only driven the trailer 30 minutes, I'm stuck driving it in the dark an hour and a half in NY and Jersey. I make 2 more wrong turns and did ok, but freaked out. White knuckled and stressed and muscle achey, I make it to their house ok. Monday afternoon was a different story. I back out with help from my family and I'm off driving home. Other than 2 close calls with cardboard boxes in the highways, I did great. I've gotten a bit more used to what I've dubbed "the windy wobble" which also happens at high speeds when bending around a highway if you don't keep the steering wheel absolutely even...I was soo stressed out about picking up the trailer that I got NO sleep Friday night because my mind wouldn't shut up! I took the trailer to work today to show the crew and I worked out of it al lday. I had to figure out what combinations wouldn't trip the circuits cuz the kennel circuits are already nearly maxed out.

    I've definitely got a few adjustments to make to the trailer (fresh water hose nozzle and tub drain stopper), but I think it'll work out ok.
    My home-made recirc. system works swimmingly but since I have a full 5 foot bathtub, I have to use more water than I want to. At least 5 gallons to make my pump quiet. I've heard most people use 2 gallons, but I guess that's with a smaller tub bottom. I gave one of my own dogs a bath this evening. He was NOT pleased.

    My first real "me" clients are tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. At least the first one is with someone I know.

    I picked up a household with 2 Spinone Italiano's today so that'll be a new breed for me.

    All in all so far? YAY!!! Now I just need my kick-a$$ graphics photo finished.

  • #2
    Congratulations I give you a lot of credit for picking up and driving your trailer home by yourself. After that ride everything else will be a piece of cake!

    Comment


    • #3
      Just thinking about you.

      Wondering why you didn't have someone ride along with you. Glad you made it home safely. As for water for recirc, can you park with the drain slightly tilted so water collects by pump? I have a van so I deliberately pull up on the curb so the van is lower on the drivers side which is where pump is in tub. For now, just get used to parking it. Take it easy and remember you have a lot behind you in weight, so brake slowly. Your dream is a reality. save and frame that first dollar!!! Do a Happy dance little dancing girl. So happy for you! Remember ya may be from Baltimore but you ain't no moron! haha

      Comment


      • #4
        Congrats. By next month you will be wondering why you were so tense towing. It is a piece of cake. As far as the windy wobble. I have found if you keep it under 65 you don't have that. Slow down speedy lol. Did you find someone to do your graphics?
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

        Comment


        • #5
          This thread was last on the "new threads" list, but I read it first, I was so excited I thought I'd "live through you," lol.

          CONGRATULATIONS!! That is so cool, I bet you're so excited! What a great treat, a brand new trailer, and a new vehicle, etc...I bet you're just stoked!!! WEEEEEEEEE!!!

          You're right, you did gain a lot of weight, lol. 2500 lbs in one day.

          Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

          Comment


          • #6
            mustluv-I won't be near curbs so that's out. I'll be in the hilly sticks, so I'm sure it won't be as big a problem as it is in my FLAT driveway. No one was able to go with me. It was a holiday weekend. I wasn't worried enough to need someone with me. I usually end up doing new things trial by fire anyway.

            Diame-I've gotten a couple of quotes on vinyl (which Joe said would be fine to do) and I have a friend's mom who is the graphic artist for the state transit so she said she'd do a little price shopping too. My uncle said that to have the picture I want painted would be several thousand dollars because of the level of detail it will have. I really want to stay local to because I won't have time to travel long distances for a while with working 6 or 7 days a week till I'm fully mobile. My bills are starting to come in and of course they're higher than expected.
            And going from Conn. to NY I was NOT Ms. Speedy.....trust me! I was barely doing 50 or 55 and I was scared s**tless before the shock of the windy wobble. But like I said, By Monday I was fine and I'm getting better at controling the bends so I don't wobble there too much either. Backing up I'm already doing better at. I'm more worried about the narrow lanes blocked in by steep hilly embankments and trees that I will be driving through. *squeeeeeeeeze*

            Spikey-I bought me a Friendly's half gallon of Mint Choco Chip while I was in Jersey that I brought back with me to help with the weight gain. I'm still trying.

            Comment


            • #7
              Congrats Rev! What a night you had! I got my trailer from Joe last week! Im in AZ, so he had a driver drive it out, it took 6wks for him to find someone to bring it out...you could've done it for me (ha-ha). I have lots of quirks to fix and rearrange but I love it! Im sure well get thru the newbie of it, together!

              Comment


              • #8
                Oh Rev, I am so happy for you! Please post pictures.

                Did those papers come in handy?

                Kristen

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RevWind View Post
                  mustluv-I won't be near curbs so that's out. I'll be in the hilly sticks, so I'm sure it won't be as big a problem as it is in my FLAT driveway. No one was able to go with me. It was a holiday weekend. I wasn't worried enough to need someone with me. I usually end up doing new things trial by fire anyway.

                  Diame-I've gotten a couple of quotes on vinyl (which Joe said would be fine to do) and I have a friend's mom who is the graphic artist for the state transit so she said she'd do a little price shopping too. My uncle said that to have the picture I want painted would be several thousand dollars because of the level of detail it will have. I really want to stay local to because I won't have time to travel long distances for a while with working 6 or 7 days a week till I'm fully mobile. My bills are starting to come in and of course they're higher than expected.
                  And going from Conn. to NY I was NOT Ms. Speedy.....trust me! I was barely doing 50 or 55 and I was scared s**tless before the shock of the windy wobble. But like I said, By Monday I was fine and I'm getting better at controling the bends so I don't wobble there too much either. Backing up I'm already doing better at. I'm more worried about the narrow lanes blocked in by steep hilly embankments and trees that I will be driving through. *squeeeeeeeeze*

                  Spikey-I bought me a Friendly's half gallon of Mint Choco Chip while I was in Jersey that I brought back with me to help with the weight gain. I'm still trying.
                  It won't cost you thousands. It only cost me less than $500 for my graphics that are guarenteed for life.
                  If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So why in heck did you do all that driving and getting lost without a GPS. You need less stress in your life when it comes down to traveling the roads. Make a GPS a future business purchase. Best of luck.
                    Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by diamienono View Post
                      It won't cost you thousands. It only cost me less than $500 for my graphics that are guarenteed for life.
                      But my graphic is waaaaay more complicated than yours (whenever it gets finished). Lots of color I'm expecting too. I got a quote locally on paint and was told over 2 thousand. That's what held me back on asking your PA friend. I don't have any appts booked for Wednesday so I'm doing a lot of errand running, so once I find his # again, I'll call to see what he says.

                      People have been calling my biz line, but haven't been leaving messages. I can't answer it while I'm at work. It's a bit worriesome.

                      Stacie-gotg - I do have navigation ability on my phone, I just haven't really needed to activate it yet. I wasn't "lost" persay, I had just missed a few exits and made turn arounds. I have an ADC mapbook for the local counties for my appts.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post
                        Oh Rev, I am so happy for you! Please post pictures.

                        Did those papers come in handy?

                        Kristen
                        Thanks! The pictures will come when I'm actually home long enough to take them and my trailer is in clean enough condition. Yes, they were helpful, thank you.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X