Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stressful afternoon...(formerly Nikki81)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stressful afternoon...(formerly Nikki81)

Wow! What a day. It wasn't even that booked, but the afternoon was just rough. I had two appointments 25 miles away from my service area. I was so happy at first, to get them both on the same schedule for the combined 4 dogs to save me fuel and time. So, appt #1 is a regular every 2 weeker. It went by smoothly and efficiently (1 chow and 1 shar pei). Appt #2 is a new client with 2 aussie/heeler mixes, who turned out to be quite sweet dogs. When I first get started, I have both in my trailer, and I am trimming nails. A man knocks on the door (a construction worker) and says I have to park across the street because the road was too narrow between his truck and mine for a firetruck to fit through...okay, fine, safety first. So, I take the dogs to the owner while I move my truck past his, but still on the same side of the street I already was, he says this is acceptable. I apologize to the new client, and take the dogs back. As we near the trailer, they both stop and sit. Coco pulls her head right out of her collar and runs! Thank GOD she went right to her own door...mild heart attack. So, I loop the leashes around their necks to create slip leads that they cannot "slip". Great. Get to the same spot, and Shadow pulls a peaceful resistance move and lays on her back. I go to stand her up and carry her, and she screams bloody murder and won't budge. I call the client on my cell, apologize again, and she walks her to the trailer with me. Aside from being embarrassed, the workers and the newly arrived housekeepers are all STARING at me and laughing. I came so close to crying. The grooms went quickly and very well. Afterward, I had some free time, and went to Phoenix (25 mins away) to get a new dryer I have been wanting on the way home. For some reason rush hour decided to start at 2:30 today, and it took me almost 3 hours to get my dryer and finally make it home...I am NOT moving for a good, long time tonight! The highlight of my day, is she tipped me very well and wants me to come to her every 2 weeks also.

Originally posted by PAWS View Post
    Wow! What a day. It wasn't even that booked, but the afternoon was just rough. I had two appointments 25 miles away from my service area. I was so happy at first, to get them both on the same schedule for the combined 4 dogs to save me fuel and time. So, appt #1 is a regular every 2 weeker. It went by smoothly and efficiently (1 chow and 1 shar pei). Appt #2 is a new client with 2 aussie/heeler mixes, who turned out to be quite sweet dogs. When I first get started, I have both in my trailer, and I am trimming nails. A man knocks on the door (a construction worker) and says I have to park across the street because the road was too narrow between his truck and mine for a firetruck to fit through...okay, fine, safety first. So, I take the dogs to the owner while I move my truck past his, but still on the same side of the street I already was, he says this is acceptable. I apologize to the new client, and take the dogs back. As we near the trailer, they both stop and sit. Coco pulls her head right out of her collar and runs! Thank GOD she went right to her own door...mild heart attack. So, I loop the leashes around their necks to create slip leads that they cannot "slip". Great. Get to the same spot, and Shadow pulls a peaceful resistance move and lays on her back. I go to stand her up and carry her, and she screams bloody murder and won't budge. I call the client on my cell, apologize again, and she walks her to the trailer with me. Aside from being embarrassed, the workers and the newly arrived housekeepers are all STARING at me and laughing. I came so close to crying. The grooms went quickly and very well. Afterward, I had some free time, and went to Phoenix (25 mins away) to get a new dryer I have been wanting on the way home. For some reason rush hour decided to start at 2:30 today, and it took me almost 3 hours to get my dryer and finally make it home...I am NOT moving for a good, long time tonight! The highlight of my day, is she tipped me very well and wants me to come to her every 2 weeks also.
    I hate when things like that happen on your first visit. You feel like they are looking at you thinking you don't know what your are doing.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Thank goodness your home and can rest. What a hectic day you had, but at least you got your new dry and a new client in the same location.

Comment

I am so sorry, but I can picture the whole dog on the back, screaming scenario and would probably be laughing too...unless of course it was happening to me. lol. It does sound like you had a very long day. Hopefully, those are few and far between.
        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

There is nothing more stressful than having people laugh at you having difficulty, so frustrating! It happens to all of us, don't let those jerks get to you. She was obviously happy regardless so, yay!

Comment

A good idea to only take one dog at a time. I used to do 2 dogs at once and if one is resistant you might not be able to control them both at the same time. Usually when one is hesitant or won't budge the other then becomes unsure of things and then also acts the same way. I had a few accidents similar to yours and now follow my new rules for every dog.

I never use just the owners leash & collar, I double them by also using one of my own leashes and choker chain. If the owner asks why I tell them that it's for their dogs safety so they can't get free from me.

I also don't carry the little dogs in my arms without them having my choker and leash. I don't want a dog freaking out and then jumping from my arms. I had that happen once and didn't like the feeling of the mild heart attack either. I also felt awful because my client was watching me from her doorstep. I felt very unprofessional that day.

I tell every one I know who handles dogs like this because it's better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

My thoughts EXACTLY! I think that is the only thing that kept me from bursting into tears...the view of professionalism! But, when something like this happens, the best I can do is carry on and act like all is well...they really respond to how we respond!

Comment

I hate days like that. The resistant dogs always seem to be the ones that act up when somebody else is around so you either look like you do not know what you are doing are you look like you are engaged in a game of tug the dog Sorry Your day was crummy, But tomorrow is a new one and you can start all over
                "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                Nancy

Comment

Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on the board to understand me and make me feel better! I did, by the way, also pick up a bunch of slip leads that I can hook the owners leash to while at Ryans...no more run aways.

Comment

I'm sorry, I'm laughing so hard I have tears.. Gotta love days like that.
                    I kind of had a day like that not too long ago..with a twist. I had two clients both with two dogs, far away. I got lost down a dirt road that turned into four wheeles only,, in the mud, I drive a 22 ft bus. Offroading..I finally get out...I'm only an hour late..(I always leave early for new clients in case there is traffic, road block, etc)... My cell won't work..of course it won't I'm in the middle of nowhere. I finally get on a hill, I have service, I call the customer and say, I'm right down the road, I'm sorry, but I got lost. I get 4 miles away, and run out of gas..did I mention the trail I went down was straight up hill...lol So, I call the client again, luckily he's laughing and said that's not the first person that happened to. So after AAA gets there, gives me gas, I'm only 3 hours late.... I take off, round a corner, and hit a huge red hawk. Head on at 55 mph. I show up finally...3 hours late, in tears with this vehicle that looks like it should be in a horror show... the dogs were nice,and they're one of my regulars... ah mobile grooming..lol

Comment

Originally posted by Kim in SD View Post
                      I kind of had a day like that not too long ago..with a twist. I had two clients both with two dogs, far away. I got lost down a dirt road that turned into four wheeles only,, in the mud, I drive a 22 ft bus. Offroading..I finally get out...I'm only an hour late..(I always leave early for new clients in case there is traffic, road block, etc)... My cell won't work..of course it won't I'm in the middle of nowhere. I finally get on a hill, I have service, I call the customer and say, I'm right down the road, I'm sorry, but I got lost. I get 4 miles away, and run out of gas..did I mention the trail I went down was straight up hill...lol So, I call the client again, luckily he's laughing and said that's not the first person that happened to. So after AAA gets there, gives me gas, I'm only 3 hours late.... I take off, round a corner, and hit a huge red hawk. Head on at 55 mph. I show up finally...3 hours late, in tears with this vehicle that looks like it should be in a horror show... the dogs were nice,and they're one of my regulars... ah mobile grooming..lol
                      OK now I am laughing so hard the tears are rolling ROFL
                      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Yikes!

Yikes! What a day! You handled it very professionally. I guess if there weren't days that were not so good, we wouldn't know when we were having the really good ones! Ha Ha!

Comment

We've all had those days. I groom two dogs in my driveway that live right down the street. I "use to" let one play in the backyard with my dog while I was grooming the other. Well..I have this huge BMD on my table grooming away, look out my trailer window and low and behold, Scout (the other dog) is standing in the middle of the street, stopping traffic in both directions. Talk about a heart attack. I have not idea how he escaped, but there will be no more doggies playing in my backyard on client time. Live and learn.

Comment

That is too darned Funny Kim!!

You poor thing!!

Comment

Oh My Goodness!

Originally posted by Kim in SD View Post

The hawk incident was just the perfect way to end your experience! Holy Cow! I can just imagine pulling up to a clients house that late with feathers everywhere and a bloody mess all over the front of my vehicle! I hope that your hubby made dinner for you that night!

Comment

Working...
                              X