booked my first clients!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• booked my first clients!!!

So I've been freaking out about my phone not ringing because my original advertising campain didn't work. Most of the local grocery stores don't have bulletin boards. But I do have flyers in the 2 local upscale pet food stores and they know me and my family. 2 people found me via the internet, one of them found me by findagroomer. YAY!!! I got the name and # from a local mobile of a person within my range so I called and booked that one. The dog is a lhasa who's got major personality issues apparently. GOODIE! The lady knows the breed and knows his issues and has tranquilizers onhand. The previous shop groomer said to hold off on the TQ and see what she could do. The groom got done, but the groomer said it was the worst case she'd seen. I told the lady the same thing, hold off on the TQ (I don't like doing drugged pets) and I'll see what I can do. Wow...that'll be a test. Luckily, I'll get a delux groomer's helper with the trailer, but I don't know how to use it. Any help on that?

Chuck - am I getting a video with the Gryphon trailer??? I hope I hope I hope!!!

What do I do if I can't finish the groom? Charge or not charge? Partial charge??

I'm starting a week earlier than I'd planned. I was hoping to start June 6 to give me time to get graphics and to figure out how to use my trailer, but I come back Monday with the trailer, all white-knuckled, go to the salon Tuesday for post-Memorial weekend hell and my first 2 clients are Wednesday! I may ask my boss if I can plug in the trailer at work and just groom from there to get me used to it. That'd be fun. 2 of the clients can't do day time, so I agreed to evenings for them. Hopefully that's temporary for me.

Ohhhhhhh I'm so nervous. I accidentally answered my biz phone with hello the first time. I got it right the second time. I just have to make sure I pick up the right cell phone since I have 2 now. How confusing!
    Time's flying and I can't catch up!

Congrats on the new clients. Chuck has some video on his website to check out. I have gotten dogs done on the GH that have been kicked out of every salon around and one of them had to be sedated by the vet. Thanks Chuck. I went into Petsomething yesterday and was laughing at 2 people trying to hold a pug down to do nails. After they were done I introduced myself and told them to spend the $ on a GH. The girl gave me a dirty look and said they were way to expensive. I said, now can you really put a price on your fingers? I won't groom a drugged dog. They are more unpredictable than a dog that is not drugged. If I can't do it then bye bye. Oh, and even if I only ran the clipper down their back once and can't get the job done, I still charge full price. With the cost of gas etc. Hey not my fault their dog is an idiot. Why should I lose money.

As far as starting early, just go slow with the trailer and take your time. Remember to breath lol. You won't be any good if you pass out lol. Did you contact Keith about your graphics? Rember that you have to hit the breaks way sooner than if you did not have the trailer on. It is a lot of weight pushing behind you and you can't stop on a dime. You have to take turns a little wider too because you are 12 foot longer. Once you get the hang of it. It becomes second nature. Makes you a better driver even when you don't have the trailer.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

dia! that was good advice you gave her! how sweet of you!!! congratulations again REV! bet you are sooo excited!!! I'm jealous! lol practice driving...you'll be less nervous when you are on a "real" call!

Comment

Congratulations, how exciting!

Build it up, one client at a time!

So happy for you, Rev!

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Cell Phone as a Business line

Hey there, just some food for thought. I first started my business with my cell phone as my business line. After about the 10th time that a potential client told me they could not find me in information or the phone book, I reallized that a cell phone may not be the most economical way to go. If a cell phone does not allow you access to the masses, it may not be cost effective. I then subscibed to a land line business phone and my name is now listed in the book and in 411. To this day, that 1" ad is the only one I run and I still am getting calls from it. My van is not lettered.

Comment

I always store my customer's phone numbers in my address book on the cell phone. That way when they call me, I always know who is calling. Helps when you get real busy.

Comment

Originally posted by barknpurr View Post
              Hey there, just some food for thought. I first started my business with my cell phone as my business line. After about the 10th time that a potential client told me they could not find me in information or the phone book, I reallized that a cell phone may not be the most economical way to go. If a cell phone does not allow you access to the masses, it may not be cost effective. I then subscibed to a land line business phone and my name is now listed in the book and in 411. To this day, that 1" ad is the only one I run and I still am getting calls from it. My van is not lettered.
              I put myself in the free advertising of yellowpages.com and superpages.com and someone found me through one of them. I wasn't planning on being in any actual books. Someone also googled and found findagroomer.com and found me through that.
              I've also introduced myself to the local DIY dog wash and they're having a big event they're letting me set up for. I'm raffling off a free groom. Any thoughts as to resrictions? I thought maybe 2 hours because I don't want to be giving a free 5 hour OAY matted mess shavedown. Any thoughts?

Comment

Your phone stores over a hundred numbers??????

Comment

Buisness Line

So, Who does have a cell as their business line? I just got a new plan hoping to use it for business. I'll have the # right on the side of my trailer and everyone I know will have their own ringtone so I'll know when a potential cleint calls. Bad Idea? What does everyone think?

Comment

I use my cell only. My friends I have stored in the phone so I know if they are calling, but otherwise I ansewer the phone as if it is business.

Comment

Cell for business

My husband and I totally ditched the landline for home several years ago so we each have a cell phone only. I use mine as my business phone and write off the whole thing (I don't do a lot of personal chatting, anyway). I contemplated having two, one for business and one for personal but later determined that that would have been a waste of money.... and with caller ID, I know if it's personal or not before I answer.

Comment

I only use a cell phone as my business line.I'm mobile and having my phone with me is important to answer calls during the day. Most of my clients found me by seeing me on the road-freeway-grocery store-gas station and finding my web site. I also have run various types of ads - but the response only breaks even with what I paid out for the ad. Alot of people have told me they don't look in the phone book that much anymore! Plus I keep a tally sheet sheet of how people found my business. The funniest is I gain alot of calls from in front of the fabric store (when I'm there to pick up sewing stuff) on my days off.

Comment

Rev

that's great news! I knew you could do it. A word on the raffle- instead of raffling off a free groom, why not a bath in a basket? Get a basket from a craft store and put a towel, zoom groom, some shampoo, conditioner, and cologne, bandanna, maybe some doggie treats and a business brochure. I have done this for fundraising type stuff. My luck the person that would win the free groom would have a 200 mud packed OAY and live 100 miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                            Rev

that's great news! I knew you could do it. A word on the raffle- instead of raffling off a free groom, why not a bath in a basket? Get a basket from a craft store and put a towel, zoom groom, some shampoo, conditioner, and cologne, bandanna, maybe some doggie treats and a business brochure. I have done this for fundraising type stuff. My luck the person that would win the free groom would have a 200 mud packed OAY and live 100 miles away.
                            That's why I thought the 2 hour limit would work ok. I'm not so sure the bath in a basket would be appropriate since the event is being held at and sponsored by the local do-it-yourself dog wash. I guess I could mention that the winner must live within my range.

Comment

I ran into problems offering $50 gift certificates to fund raisers (such as the local rodeo, schools, ets.). People who bid on the GC's did not live in my service area, by the time they contacted me I was pretty much full, and/or they needed a Saturday appt. I found it was more trouble for me than it was worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X