New 6 month Shi-Tzu Pup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 6 month Shi-Tzu Pup

In a few days I will be grooming a very wiggly pup who has been groomed once b efore at the corporate place. The lady bathed the dog yesterday and the vet said not to give baths too often. I, like many do not agree to groom with a trim and no bath. I don't save time because the hydro-surge is so fast. I also don't want to discount. I would do a bath, no trim, but not a trim w/ no bath. Do you feel another bath is ok? Show dog pups that advance in the ring may get two complete grooms in a weekend. Products are so gentle these days like Coat Handler lite. or even diluted a lot. Mainly, I want to have a wet dog to blow dry so the fur lays better for the trim. What would you do? It isn't the shampoo so much as the fluff from dryer and conditioners and anti static spray. I don't even know if I can trim around the eyes yet. With extra time and effort, I want full groom for full pay. Corporate place said dog was difficult to handle, but owner said he does lay on his back in the submissive position. I can devote more time to him and be slow and patient and see how far he can tolerate things. His name is Chase cuz they chase him around to catch him. haha

dont see why you couldnt bath it. I bath my shi-tzu once aweek atleast. because he is so dirty. it doesnt hurt him. I have been doing that since he was 3 months old

Comment

I love vets that give out this type of mis information. My wife has bred shih tzu for years, has shown both Shih Tzu and Lhasa Apso for just as long. I have shown quite a few of the ST and LA plus other coated breeds in my day. The ring dogs get 4 bathes per week, show prep on Friday, show Saturday and bath out again Saturday night, shown Sunday and then on Monday bathed again and put in into oil, and it starts over the following Friday.That is actually 4 bath's in 7 days, 16 in a month.

I always wonder what kind of hands on experience most vets have outside of a clinical setting. I personally know one vet that never owned a dog, she always had cats, but by virtue of her DVM diploma she thought herself an expert on dogs.

Comment

This puppy gets washed every week and is kept in a puppy looking trim all done with thiners no clipper except pads and sanitary.It's companion follows the same schedual and has for 5 years.He's (the other one) not a looker like this munchkin.I think the other one is part lhasa which translate into a terrier mix in vet speak.
        The vet has been grooming for how long? Maybe he shouldnt give up his practice just yet.
        Never sent 2 pics before hope it works.One before after drying one after trim.
        Attached Files

Comment

I just saw this recently too. I was at an aquaintance's home, and was looking at her 220lb husky/malamute/ GSD mix.. it had been shedding pretty heavily, but the notable thing was the nasty flakey skin.. so I asked her how often she bathed him, and she said she'd read "not to bathe too often.. it'll dry out the skin".. so she only bathes him 1x a year! uhg.. house dog too..

Comment

As long as your using a quality conditioner, it shouldn't be a problem. Many owners bathe their pets at home with only shampoo and this will dry them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post
              This puppy gets washed every week and is kept in a puppy looking trim all done with thiners no clipper except pads and sanitary.It's companion follows the same schedual and has for 5 years.He's (the other one) not a looker like this munchkin.I think the other one is part lhasa which translate into a terrier mix in vet speak.
              The vet has been grooming for how long? Maybe he shouldnt give up his practice just yet.
              Never sent 2 pics before hope it works.One before after drying one after trim.
              You're hilarious, Doug! I tease the vets where I work that "You know why you're a vet don't you? Because you failed grooming school!" They think I'm a goof off, for some strange reason!

BTW, PLEASE would you mind blowing the hair off of your table? It was hard to look at the photo without trying to blow hair off it, even though I know it wont work from here!

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

spikey

Dont you know hair is a garnish.I left that there to go with my star kiss tuna steak pack and crackers. Ummmm hair is good fiber.Comes in many colors for presentation. The only down side is when it gets wrapped around that little dangly thing in the back of your throat.

Comment

It's 4:01 am...

It's 4:01am and I'm so hooked...have to be up @ 6:00am. You all are a TRIP! How have I ever survived without you? I learn allot, but laugh just as much NOW! What Depression? I'm going to fire my couseler...LOL, So grateful!~

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post
                    The only down side is when it gets wrapped around that little dangly thing in the back of your throat.
                    I hate that. I don't have any hair in my throat right now, but I'm cringing at the thought!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X