Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much Mind on my hands

After reading the post about depression it had me to thinkin'
    And that's where I get in a lot of trouble.
    I find that working alone in a mobile van I have a lot of Mind on my hands.
    Yes, I am busy grooming, but I find I think alot. I worry, I redecorate the entire house in my mind, I make lists of things I need to do when I get home, etc...
    I can easily get myself depressed and upset by overthinking problems (real or imagined)
    What have you other's done to calm the mind?

Try playing music or listening to talk radio.

Comment

Get a $5 radio from Walgreens w/batteries

Listen to the radio, not talk radio, but your favorite music. The one I have gets loud enough to hear over grooming w/ Clipper vac and Ivac aaaaand, Kool dry. I think any job goes better with music. You could think up funny songs like Goldiflox, tho that is a rare talent.I find I thibnk about people here and wonder how their dayis going and what happened in a post they talked about. I also have a tv w/ video. Reception poor w/ equipment on but I check my Y&R sometimes. (Soap opera) I could even rent movie and play it, but never have so far.

Comment

Music

I play relaxing music.
        Yes, I listen to postive Christian music a lot. Kathy Tricoli is one
        I like. I like County music too because it give you more of a story line
        your mind naturally follows.

I listen to tv. Any show you like is good. Sometimes just noise in the background will refocus you just enough that even if you shut it out,
        you are also shutting out negitive thoughts a long with it.
        Also try some aroma therepy, some scents like lavender are calming
        to you and the dogs.
        Take some time to think about what you are putting into yourself.
        LIke food, it can be good, or bad for you.
        I myself had to stop listening to news so much. They say the same negitive stuff over and over, and its not good for me.

Try some cds of postive reinforevement and good things. You could
        even learn a new language maybe.

I think it is true that we need to be very careful of the voices we listen to.
        Those around us, and the accuser in our minds. YOu know the voice I mean.
        The bills that need paid, the groom that should be better, the what if this and that?
        It can take real effort for some of us to focus on just the job at hand.
        Just listen to what you like. I know what you mean, as I groom at home.
        And many days there is nobody around at all.
        Good luck to you.

Comment

I am very lucky in that I have made a good friendship with another area groomer. We talk off and on all day sometimes. Sometimes we have running conversations that take breaks during drying and taking dogs in and out of homes (blue tooth is wonderful!). Then other days we hardly talk at all. Just depends on the types of dogs we have and our moods. Wouldn't it be great if groomers as a rule could be this way as opposed to adversarial like in many areas? It takes a little work to get started, but so worth it.

When we aren't chatting I am always obsessing about my show poodle and what I can do to make her look even better than she already does, planning for the next show, etc. Sometimes I think about snappy comebacks I wish I had when doofus people make snide remarks about pricing or scheduling. Then sometimes I fantasize about one or two clients who went away and what I would tell them when they try to come back.

Comment

My mind is not at ease unless my life is fully balanced. If I'm all work and not play or relaxation I become easily overwhelmed I need time to re-energize and regroup a couple days a week.

I also need time to spend with husband, family and my own animals or I get cranky and miserable.

Most of us women just tend to try and do too much with too little time in a day and get very stressed which leads to frustration and depression.

Been there, done that and now it's trying to balance without overdoing.

Comment

Originally posted by TAILSRWAGON View Post
              Yes, I am busy grooming, but I find I think alot. I worry, I redecorate the entire house in my mind, I make lists of things I need to do when I get home, etc...
              I can easily get myself depressed and upset by overthinking problems (real or imagined)
              I can see how being alone for quite a bit as a mobile groomer would get you thinking a lot - that's one reason why i chose not to go the mobile route - i need people around me or i make myself nuts.

BUT on the other hand .... you say that you redecorate your entire house & makes lists, etc as if it's a bad thing! i am this way too ..... i ALWAYS need to be doing something or i drive myself crazy - i honestly would rather go to work than have a day off to putt around my house - but if i do have a day off, believe me, i find something to fix/clean/paint/throw away/write/read/make ETC.... For a while i viewed it as a 'bad' or 'abnormal' thing when people were always saying 'don't you ever stop?' but now i know it's just the way i am, and i love that i can get stuff done the way i do!

but .... just be sure that you aren't scattered about what you're trying to accomplish .... try to focus this extra energy in your mind and put it to good use - once i started doing that i definitely slept well at night.

overthinking problems is another issue i feel ..... when you're presented with a problem either do something about it, or don't worry about it. basically, if there's something you can do, do it ... if not then there's no reason to worry about it.

Comment

Ya'll make so many good points. I am not mobile, but your thread caught my eye. It is hard to not think too much being in the business we're in. Especially those of us who are homebased or mobile and we don't have alot of people interaction. I too play music and really, really like classical salony type music as well as soft Christian music (& some I can sing with). It seems to uplift and be an encouragement. I think the dogs like it too. I so agree with Fur Elite how important friendships are. Then to have that special friendship with another groomer would be icing on the cake. Working women in general have alot on their plates, sticking together to help each other out, whatever area that may be, is so important at keeping sane. Afterall who understands our situation better than another working woman. Talking for me helps alot with the worrying and depression, just to say some of my thoughts out loud helps to keep them balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by TAILSRWAGON View Post
                  Wow! I am the same way. I sit while watching tv at night making lists: grocery lists, product lists, write and rewrite new documents, brochure ideas!!!

While in the trailer, I listen to and sing along with the radio. When I don't feel like hearing it, I talk to the dogs, I say their name a lot and explain what I am doing...it just keeps me busy, LOL. I also look at the clock A LOT, and always find new ways to speed up my processes.

I always wanted to get a headset, but, it would make me focus less on my work. I get too distracted talking with others while working.

Comment

does anyone else talk to the dogs like they are humans? heck...whats it going to matter! if you have no other HUMAN to talk to you can always carry on a conversation with the dogs/cats! heck THEY cant talk back to you! you can complain to them about the previous house you where at, how their owners treat you etc etc...AND they cant go back to teh owner and say...HEY GUESS WHAT THE GROOMER SAID MA! SHE SAID YOUR A RAVING LUNATIC AND THAT SHE WISHS YOU'D STOP BRINGING ME TO HER! LOL! you can talk about ANYTHING to animals...about how yorus days going, any family problems you have, etc etc...and they sit there and listen to you talking to them..sure they might not understand what we are saying...but hey who cares right? they love the attention because your actually talking and paying attention to them instead of just going through the motions of grooming while your mind is wandering off someplace else, YOU get to talk to at least SOMETHING and dont feel stupid about doing so or what the other person is going to say etc etc...play some music, watch a movie, talk to the animals...do whatever!
                    just have a good time while doing it!
                    Hound

Comment

This is interesting. When I groom, I am in THE ZONE---and I can only think about that particular groom. I can't seem to think about anything else. I'm too easily overwhelmed.

I agree though, listen to some talk radio show. Too bad Jerry Springer isn't on the radio---you'd definitely stop feeling depressed when you realize how freaky other people can be, lol.

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I love up the dogs

I have gotten sad on a gloomy morning and sometimes think I don't want to go out and groom. Then I get there and groom the dog, loving the artistic part of making the dog look as good as I can and like Tammy I am zoned out. I even have trouble with timeing because I lose where I am and that I should get done. I sometimes sing too, so that is nice, not a dog has complained yet. Have talked up to the dogs too, dogs seem to like human conversation. If I am home, a dog walk or just playtime with my dogs always cheers me up. Of course one can always work on the grateful list, if all else fails. I'm grateful where I live, my dogs, the friends/loves, the freedom to groom "my way", making more than office clerks or tomato pickers and in my case above all good health. I know so many people right now that are having life threatening medical conditions, I have to feel good that I'm not there.
                        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                          This is interesting. When I groom, I am in THE ZONE---and I can only think about that particular groom. I can't seem to think about anything else. Tammy in Utah
                          This is usually what happens to me and I don't even realize it. I so totally focus on the dog and what I'm doing that my mind goes into THE ZONE like Tammy's.

If I do have something on my mind, I try not to worry about it. I have a Mother that worries about everything and lives on Tums and Pepcid and Mylanta. Worrying about things really doesn't do anything except make yourself sick. You can't control everything and you can't let your thoughts and imagination get you crazy.

Tomorrow will be another day and what you worried about today will not seem very important.
                          www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                          http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I am lucky I think. Here in NJ we have a great talk radio station. I love listening to them when I groom. It makes the day go by faster and feels as if I have someone in the van with me. They often talk about nonsense, but it makes me laugh and I don't feel so lonely. I actually hate grooming on the weekends when I have nothing but music to listen to!

Comment

too much on mind

I have had the same problem, thought I would go crazy being alone. Now I listen to books on tape. It seems I have no time to read anymore, so I go to the local book exchange or thrift store and get all the books on tape I can find. You would not believe how quickly it makes the day go. I even have a customer with whom I trade tapes. I am sure you will be able to find these around you, they come on tape or cd. The constant talking seems to calm most of my dogs down also. Good Luck... Karen

Comment

Working...
                              X