fluffing w/o a stand dryer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fluffing w/o a stand dryer?

Mainly for mobiles, but for anyone who doesn't have a stand dryer. I'm getting ready to start mobile next month (YAY ME) and I've started using the HV a bit more than I used to where I'm at now, but I still find the need to fluff and brush at the same time with a stand dryer for dogs like Porties, bichons, cockers, poodles, etc. How do you all with only HV's get those types fluffed? Do you use the HV on a clamp? or do you have an extra set of arms poking out of your ribs to help with the multitasking?

I have been wondering the same thing

I have had my van for several yrs and sometimes I would like a fluff dryer. I don't know if I like the idea of a clamp to hold the hose. I was thinking of hanging a fluff dryer above my table somehow. Or I guess if you had to have the stand you could always bungie it to something. Any ideas other Mobiles?

Wag'ntails
    ID

Comment

I bought a heat dryer from Edemco that clamps onto my table. It does not draw a huge amount of amps so it works well in my van. It's not ideal (a little hard to maneuver) but it's better than relying totally on an HV dryer. I HV dry my standard poodles 90% and then finish them with the heat dryer.

Comment

Rev, I am not mobile, but I do use a clamp for the HV. It has become quite handy since I don't have the extra arms coming out of my ribs (I just wish I did). The clamp can be a little aggrivating in the beginning because it is stiff. But as you use it it becomes much more flexible and easy to manuver. It is also easy to take off of the table and get out of the way!
        SheilaB from SC

Comment

fluffing with heat

I think the biggest problem in Mobile is the fact that many of the fluffie' dogs have a hard time getting and staying fluffy with just HV'ing. I did it for a while in the mobile, holding the nozzle under one arm and brushing...but I just didn't get the results as I likes., So I did put in one of my stand dryers...I do like the fluffing with heat, but I am still annoyed that my stand dryer has only one place to sit...in the step well, in the door ...but there is just no other way to put one in my rig. Well, that and the fact I didn't want to spend $$ on another stand dryer...clamp on style from Edemco and still have a problem with where it would be, almost in the same place that the Stand dryer is now... If your rig can accomidate one it's nice to have, but not the end of the world to not have one.
          (no I don't have an HV with heat...)

Comment

I think the "Groomers third arm" that Sheila is talking about is a great idea.

If for some reason that doesn't work, you can try what I do, which works well for the most part, though I think that fluff drying is probably going to get your best results, from what I hear.

If the dog is large, I will HV the excess water off the entire side of the dog that I am working on. ( imagine a standard poodle here) Then I start with the back leg and brush/dry at the same time OR, if the dog doesn't like that, I dry/brush/dry/brush/dry meaning I start drying, then brush well while holding the dryer between my knees (not pointed on the dog), then I dry again, then brush, then dry...usually just once or twice is enough. I do this in the tub, but your table might be perfect for this, not sure, but it sounds like it would blow hair all over your van.

For the head I turn the 2nd motor OFF and just use one motor of the HV to dry/brush/dry the head and/or topknot.

I can get them pretty straight with this method, but poodles are not my strength.

Tammy in Utah
            Last edited by SpikeyTheYorkie; 05-13-07, 07:50 AM.
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I have a stand dryer, but I dont like using it. Im not mobile, but I think its so big and bulky AND we only have one.With all the other groomers/bathers, that doesnt always work out. When I made an order with PetEdge once, they sent me a free Andis hand dryer. It looks like a persons hair dryer. I move it around extra fast, and its not as powerful as a stand dryer, but it gets those bichons real fluffy. The hot setting really is hot though, so it can't stay in one spot.

Comment

I couldn't groom without my stand dryer- I'm glad the rig that's being converted for me has enough room to accomodate one. With the exception of smooth-coated breeds or big, hairy ones (like Chows), I fluff dry EVERYTHING. I have experimented with just HVing my terriers, and they don't come out looking as good. It's the little things that make the difference in the end result. :-)

Comment

yep..i have to fluff dry w/ stand dryer, or i'm just not a happy camper. they do get about 90% hv'd. and then finished with stand dryer... i think it not only makes the dog look better, but it takes less time to do the finish hc. because your not fighting to get the hair to stand straight. and you can do it spikey's way too. that will work and i have done that, but it annoys me, so i prefer the stand dryer.

Comment

Two things I won't groom without - my stand dryer & thinning shears! I secure the stand dryer with two bungee cords to the leg of the tub in my Sprinter van. I have to move it around a bit for bathing but it's not a big deal. I get the finish on the coat I'm happy with. I'm currently using a DK 9000II stand dryer. It's a great dryer, but I'm looking at a smaller Oster or Rapid Electric stand dryer for the van.

Comment

go to groomstar dot com, they have the best thrid arm I have ever seen. I have the HiV dryer from hanvey and it has a couple of speeds, on of those is a fluff speed. I use fluff-out by davis and put the dryer in the third arm and fluff away. I also use the third arm with my dryer on high speed pointing at the dog while I am grooming their sibling.

Comment

table dryer

How about purchasing one of those table dryers that clamp on the table and hang in the air? I think it is an edemco. I have one in my van and I know several other groomers that have them. They are the same as stand dryers but instead of a floor stand the stand clamps on the table. Works really good for dogs who won't tolerate the K92 even on low speed on the head and ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Fur Elite View Post
                          How about purchasing one of those table dryers that clamp on the table and hang in the air? I think it is an edemco. I have one in my van and I know several other groomers that have them. They are the same as stand dryers but instead of a floor stand the stand clamps on the table. Works really good for dogs who won't tolerate the K92 even on low speed on the head and ears.
                          There's a future possibility, but probably not in the funding right now.

Comment

Technique!!

It really depends on your technique IMO. I have 2 HVs-one Hanvey that I use for almost everything and a Romani Junior that produces a little bit more heat than the Hanvey. You pull the concentrator nozzle off and put the cuff right next to the skin and move in a slow pattern over the coat. I used to keep FuzzyMonkeyButt over there in a Saddle and I never fluffed her. I went to a CCPC grooming seminar and told them how I dried her and they swore I used a fluff dryer on her when they weren't looking LOL!! It can be done but you can't use a really powerful HV to do it or you blow the coat apart before you get it to stand. It also must produce a little bit of heat. Next time you're at a trade show and Chris Pawlosky is there ask her to show you how. She doesn't use a fluff/stand dryer on her show Standard Poodles and she's a top winning handler who knows her stuff!

Comment

Patty , very well said...yes I can do that too, but most of the time my Kool dry doesn't produce enough heat to make that technique work, so I went back to the stand dryer. When this type of fluffing works, I do much prefer to use it. But my Kool dry has to be coorporating, or it has to be cold enough outside so I can have the heater on that will produce the heat needed for the Kool dry, (if it is running while the air in the rig is warm, then it produces warm air.

but here in WA, that might be an altother moot point, since I'll probably have the heat on.LOL Unless it's one of the few days it does get hot!

Comment

Working...
                              X