Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check out my new website!

www.pawsfurme.com

I've had a most wonderful friend doing all the behind the scenes work on the site since I know NOTHING about them. And I looked at lots of websites to get ideas on policies and stuff since I've never had to worry about them and didn't know what to do about policies.
    Please give me suggestions and corrections as you see them. Are the policies ok? Should I change some? is 48 hours notice too much? I'll probably change it to 24 hours once I get busy. Are the fees ok? The bank fee is the only one I know that is ok. That's what my bank charges.

I put my away message on my biz phone and I hate it. I sound like I'm a little kid! I also have the problem of speaking VERY quickly and it took many tries to get it down to the speed I have it at. *sigh* oh well.

Now I need to put all my policies and services and my "mobile schpeal" (that I haven't made yet) on paper so I know what to say when people actually start calling.

FEEDBACK FEEDBACK FEEDBACK! PLEASE! Thanks!

In your FAQ's I would reword the thing about anal gland expressing is 'safer' at the vet. It leaves you open to too many things, IMO. If the dog scoots after it's groomed for whatever reason, it will be YOUR fault regardless according to pet owner. It just seems to me that it opens up a whole can of worms. Also, if you won't take dogs with fleas or ticks your potential clients will find a groomer who will. Most will. Other than that, I like the picture of your new car. And I like the picture of the poodle. Great before and after.

Comment

I really, really, really like your website layout and design. It has so much information on it and about covers it all. Once you get all the pictures up it will be great. (People, including me, love to look at the pictures.). Everything is very eye catching.

One thing that caught my eye was your paragraph about nail cutting. I was just wondering if you wanted to stay away from nail cutting? If you can get the price that is absolutely wonderful for you. What I do is offer nail trimming, but at my convenience when I am near the customer, that way theirs really not too much wear and tear and travel time. I have one customer that I do 3 nail cuttings every 6 weeks when I'm at their next door neighbors house and I make $45 for literally 15 minutes of time. (Nail cutting, if the dogs are good), are easy money. I can definitely understand why a mobile groomer would not want to deal with nails on an individual basis though.
      don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Love the website, very informative and nice to look through.
        Everyone will tell you people love to look at pictures.

I worry about assigning a 30.00 charge for not cancelled appointments. Unless you have a way to enforce that for real you might reword it to fee's may apply.
        Also the return check policy that states the grooming fee must be paid before the next appointment. I read.... if you come to my house and I give you a bad check as long as I don't use you again you are not coming after your money. Just a couple things from a legal stand point.

It is an excellent site.

Comment

Very nice! I think it will be even better with photos! But that will come. I love your page that tell about your education, very good on that.

After a while once you've been up and running for a while, things will become easier and you may need to tweak the site but that's a natural thing, as your site become more active and personal as you develop it over time.
          Very nice.

Comment

Love your website, love the photo of Beauregard and can't wait to see more!

One thing I noticed was that you say one of the benefits of mobile grooming is no "exposure to kennel cough," but I also noticed that you only require rabies vaccinations.

If rabies is the only vaccination required then any dog may be exposed to kennel cough if one of the dogs you groom has it. But also, if I understand correctly, kennel cough is air born and can even be carried on your shoes. So I think that would make it possible for any dog, vaccinated or not, to be "exposed" to it, regardless of their vaccinations. Anybody else know more about this than me??

My personal opinion is that you should require all vaccinations. Why? I get a lot of people wanting their once-a-year chow chow mix or this or that groomed, but they only have the shots required by law (rabies of course), and so when I tell them our hospital policy requires all shots, this helps them choose to go down the road to another groomer. (I hate grooming OAY's especially when the word "chow" is mentioned, lol And even more when they say, "He only gets angry when you touch his legs, lol). NEVER EVER had a problem with this policy with regular clients. Anyway, it's just a thought, because I am trying to keep my grooming salon high-end and this really helps me do it. People who keep their pets up to date on all their vaccinations appear keep their pets grooming "up to date" as well, my personal experience.

Next---I love your new "Trailer Hauling Machine," LOL. Nice color, too. One thing I might change, just to sound more ...mmm...upscale is it? I would suggest changing the "My Trailer" link to say something like, "My mobile unit" or "My mobile salon," just to upscale how it sounds. Hope this doesn't offend anybody.

RevWind, I'm so happy for you, you've really jumped in head first and seem to be doing well, congrats, I think you'll be very happy being your own boss, so long as your boss isn't too bossy, LOL. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Beauregard does NOT look as pleased as I do with your website :-)

Comment

very well done. you should be proud of it.
                Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

For those who do state a "fee" for missed appts (and I know some of you do, that's where I got that idea) how do you collect? and do you allow 24 or 48 hours?

Spikey - the problem with asking for kennel cough vaccines is that they're not great vaccines. We've had a break-out of kennel cough at our kennel for the 1st time in about 3 years and even those who had their vaccines are getting it. It's not a 100% accurate vacc. Same as the people flu vaccine.
                  Even Petsomething doesn't "require" anything but Rabies and they DO kennel dogs. Also, more and more people are coming into the attitude of "vaccinate only what is absolutely necessary only WHEN it is necessary. We have a few holistic vets in the area that suggest cutting down on the frequency and number of vacc. I'll be guaranteed OAY's when I first start out, but as I get busy, they'll be weeded out anyway.

For the record, I don't have a problem with ticks or a minor flea infestation(moreso fleas than ticks), I just don't want a dog that is totally black with fleas coming into my trailer because that's a guaranteed problem. I've read of mobiles asking that the dog be given a preventative like Fronntline and asked them to reschedule when the fleas are dead. Can someone comment on that if you do use that policy?

Is the trip/fuel/whatever fee an ok thing to do? I will have spent time and money making the trip to the person's house and if I can't do the dog, I'll have lost out. Should I charge for it or just accept that I lost money? If you do use that policy, how do you use it and word it?

Comment

RevWind, your answer makes sense. I DO still think, however, that you should change the wording. They very possibly can be exposed to kennel cough. I agree, bordetella is not 100%, but the chance of the dog getting it WITHOUT the shot is much higher.

Regardless, because it doesn't really matter to me either way, to say they're not "exposed" to it would be incorrect, because there is really not any way to guarantee that. Anywhere dogs are, there is a chance of them being exposed to it, along with Parvo and other illnesses.

Maybe just a small change in the wording?

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                      RevWind, your answer makes sense. I DO still think, however, that you should change the wording. They very possibly can be exposed to kennel cough. I agree, bordetella is not 100%, but the chance of the dog getting it WITHOUT the shot is much higher.

Regardless, because it doesn't really matter to me either way, to say they're not "exposed" to it would be incorrect, because there is really not any way to guarantee that. Anywhere dogs are, there is a chance of them being exposed to it, along with Parvo and other illnesses.

Maybe just a small change in the wording?

Tammy in Utah
                      I certainly understand where you're coming from, I asked my friend to remove the "no kennel cough and fleas part" since it's not 100% guaranteed.
                      Thanks.

Comment

i think the website is very nice,in regard to collecting money for not being able to do the dogs i tell them over the phone that if for any reason i can't groom the dog that they will have to pay me my service fee and explain why; most people understand and take a chance,if they don't agree then don't schedule an appointment for them it's that simple.and for missed appts most of the time when they call again i give them 1 chance if it's a good client other than that i tell them that because of them canceling the last minute they made me loose money and that they will have to pay for it if they need an appt again i've only had one person agree and pay 3x the grooming fee and said they would never do it again and they have'nt so sometimes it works!

Comment

Working...
                        X