Vaccinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccinations

Can I assume that mobile groomers still need to keep track of vaccination records for the pets they groom?

I think that with grooming you can "do what you want," as there are no regulations, but rabies is required in all states, I THINK.

Anyway, I'll tell you something, by making sure people have ALL of their dog's vaccinations up to date, I have eliminated a lot of the "yucky" clients---the "once-a-years" who don't care if their dog gets sick or not, or they think that just because the dog only stays in the backyard that it doesn't need it. Wahoo, I don't have to deal with many of those at ALL!!!!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

do you require yearly vaccinations or do you accept titers in place of vaccs spikey? because you might also be loosing out on alot of people who care greatly for their dog but can only go to certain shops that will accept a titer in place of vaccinations...i dont vaccinate my dog against anything except rabies. this is going to be his last rabies shot he's going to get for the rest of his life. hes 6 yrs old and personally i feel that he is already well protected against rabies...no need to keep vaccinating against it. alot of people now a days know the risks of overvaccination...i personally have made the decision NOT to vaccinate any of my future dogs....along with a raw diet and absolute minimal vaccinations...i believe i will have healthy dogs from now on out.
      but thats just my personal opinion on it...rabies is the only one i know of thats required by law in my state at least.
      Hound

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
        I think that with grooming you can "do what you want," as there are no regulations, but rabies is required in all states, I THINK.

Anyway, I'll tell you something, by making sure people have ALL of their dog's vaccinations up to date, I have eliminated a lot of the "yucky" clients---the "once-a-years" who don't care if their dog gets sick or not, or they think that just because the dog only stays in the backyard that it doesn't need it. Wahoo, I don't have to deal with many of those at ALL!!!!

Tammy in Utah

...and when their veterinarians hear how you are pushing to keep them lil' buggers up to date, they will be very happy!

Comment

I do not care about vaccinations. I do have a form that asks them if vaccs are up to date (new client form) but if they aren't I still groom the dogs.

Comment

I think that it is a good idea. And like Tammy said it can cut down on a lot of the once a year clients. Even just requiring rabies, and not all of the other shots.

(houndlover, I think that Tammy has to have proof of ALL shots because of the vet that she works at)
            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

but

Owners can lie, and what if, that cute little puppy is carrying parvo or distemper? What might you accidently expose someones pet to?
              Weather they lied or not, the damage is done.

Comment

Originally posted by redbird View Post
                Owners can lie, and what if, that cute little puppy is carrying parvo or distemper? What might you accidently expose someones pet to?
                Weather they lied or not, the damage is done.
                This is a good example of why you should call the vet for verification. We are running risk if the pet is carrying a virus such as this no matter what the vaccination history is. All we can do is verify the vaccines and practice sanitary methods.

Comment

Careful Furelite!

You should really make sure they're up to date on their rabies shots. I will not touch, let alone groom, a dog until I see the paperwork from the vet with the date their next rabies vac is due.

Surely you've been bit by now? We started around the same time I think and I've had numerous minor bites and one serious one that landed me in the hospital. Rabies is spread by saliva getting into a wound and it is nothing you want to be mesing with. Please reconsider checking their rabies info.

Just want you to be safe girl!

Meesh

Comment

Well, since you asked....I am not too concerned about the rabies (famous last words) and here is why. The after bite protocol is the same for a pet whether or not they have been vaccinated. After a bite is reported, the pet is confined and observed for 10 days. If signs of rabies are not present, no treatment to the human is neccessary. If the animal shows signs of rabies, the treatment is started. Whether or not the pet has had a vaccine, they are still observed. My client population is entirely made of elderly people with little fluffy house dogs. True, they can get rabies but the chances are very slim considering where these people live, their habits and their pet's habits. Probably almost as slim as a vaccinated dog contracting rabies. This is not advice for anyone, just my evaluation of the risk factors I face...especially considering that these retirees have nothing better to do than take their dog to the vet every time he sneezes. I think I have been bitten 3 times. And no, I didn't report it because when you report it, the animal services requires the pet owner to submit their dog to quarantine at a veterinary office as noted above. And yes, this happens whether or not the animal in question has been vaccinated. So once i explain this to my clients, they are more than willing to observe Fido for me and let me know when I call them in 10 days how he is doing.

I also learned that even if your dog is current on the rabies vaccine, if they come into contact with a dead bat, say...you still have to rush them off to the vets for an emergency booster. See, they don't really know if the vaccine would hold up against such exposure all the time. That is why if you are bitten by even a vaccinated dog, you are supposed to report it....because it is possible that your vaccinated dog be infected with rabies. Likely? Not...but possible. Where I live, once a report is made...the animal in question is ordered to quarantine at a vets office. And, even with the emergency booster, if the bat in question comes back positive for rabies...your dog has to be quarantined for 45 days. And if the bat is not available for testing? Guess what, your dog has to be quarantined for 45 days even if they are all current. So there really is a disincentive for reporting that you found a dead bat in your backyard where your dog also plays.

Comment

Working...
                    X