how to pick a standard poodle pup(long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to pick a standard poodle pup(long

hi i am a certified lurker i read each and every post when i get the time breif history i am a mobile groomer in central coast california 3 yrs now picking up our second wagn tails van may 19 22 yr old daughter just completed grooming school exciting scary! my question is i am going tomorrow to take my pick from a litter of stpoo pups i am a multi dog family looking for a dog to do alittle of everything maybe some creative grooming ,agility ,i have been a lurker in those areas also attended alot of events but only as a spectator any way you guys know every thing although i have done lots of reading up on the dogs i want a human input and not just the breeder s opinion what do i look for confirmation wise ,personality for the events i am contemplating help please rhonna

pups

I chose my Coalfax from a litter of 9.

THere are tests you can do to check.

Lets see, I picked them up to see who would stuggle a little but quit.
    I threw something to see if they would run after it. Some would not,
    some ran after it but would not come back. Some grabbed it and
    then dropped it. When I called only one came back to me.(coaly)
    I held them on their back to see if they were quiet or struggled.
    Some actually bit me. Didin't pick those.
    Some would run with you (good) run after you , or run off.
    Some would come when I bent down and called.(coaly)
    One actually would scream and run off if you came after her.
    I thought I wanted the cream female, but I decided she was way to
    afraid of everything.
    One of the brown ones would bite you on the leg he was so cheeky.
    Didn't pick him either.
    But one. One would always see us and run to us. Let us hold him,
    follow us everywhere, and let us hold him as long as we liked.(coaly)
    Thats the one we took.
    They were for pet registration only so thats what we wanted.
    As far as conformation goes, I would take someone with me that
    really knows what they are doing. Thats for the experts.

Comment

If you don't intend on showing the dog, conformation is not that important to you. If you are planning on showing the dog, you will want someone who is very knowledgeable (breeder, handler of poos, etc) to advise you in person with the puppies. But, if you aren't showing it in conformation, don't worry about that.

You will still want a balanced dog for grooming competitions. Look for one that is square, with a nice neck but not too long nor too short. Get some pictures of quality poodles to help you out. A nice scissor bite is important for that proper face, and make sure the ears aren't too highset, too lowset or flyaway.

Most important, though, is to look for the proper temperament in the poodles. They should be outgoing and friendly, perky and playful. Overly shy, timid, nervous or high strung is something you want to avoid. Look for bright, curious eyes and a playful nature. I often hear people talking of the puppy choosing them instead of vice versa. See what puppy gravitates to you. Try not to be victim of falling for the one who is the runt or seems outcast. You want a vibrant, healthy puppy with the sparkling poodle personality. They say that a nice adult coat starts off as a nice puppy coat. Look for one with a healthy looking coat.

Good luck, poodles are so great, you will be ever so happy!

Comment

I can't speak for conformation but I can say that my family and I always picked a puppy that would lay on its back in our hands and not freak out.

It's worked EVERY time. Then again, Spike will NOT lay on his back, and gets "deer in the headlights" if I try, but he is a great little dog, very obedient and sweet, wouldn't harm a fly (though he's not so great with the little ones), but maybe its because he had a bad childhood that he's trying to please me so much, lol.

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

id try taking a person you trust with you that has alot of dog knowledge. ie a breeder friend etc...they can basically tell you the basics to look for in any breed (basically what was already stated.) i know my friend who owns like 3 rotties, an aussie mix and now a pit mix pup...she will definately be helping my fiance and i when we get a rottie of our own. we plan on rescueing and she fosters for the rescue we wish to adopt our rottie on. this would be the 3rd dog (most likely) for me and the 1st for my fiance...she does dog training, agility, hopefully conformation with her youngest male (hes 2 yrs old still needs to fill out a bit though), therapy work...she is mainly focused on agility, her dogs are ALL very well behaved off leash and on leash (need to be for agility!), and are quiet in the house. (they do NOT bark at all!)
          she offered to go with us since she know's rotties (she has had from what i know...3 that passed, and the 5 she has now, she has foster st. bernards to rottie mix's to cats etc etc! so i definatley trust her to tell me which rottie is going to be right for us. she will know what to look for temperment wise, and if its a beginning owners rottie or a rottie for a more experienced person.
          basically...id take someone along who knows what to look for in a dog.
          sometimes its just so overwhelming...also if you dont find a dog that you connect with...dont feel pressured to just pick one. im sure that almost always doesnt work out...especially if you want the dog for certain reasons. best to wait and bide your time for another litter or find another breeder before rushing headlong into a decision and then the perfect pup comes along 2 or 3 months later and you regret your decision or end up with two puppys.
          Hound

Comment

What every one is saying is good advice so far. When you lay a puppy on its back you are testing for dominance/submission. A puppy that really fights is dominant and a puppy that gives in quickly is submissive. It depends on your personality, training experience and what you want the dog for. If you have a dominant personality with some training experience and are planning on going to training classes then you want a dog with a little more spunk. Agility dogs while they need to be able to take direction, also need to think for themselvess and not be afraid of anything. So you don't want anything that is too submissive, if you want a good agility dog.
            We raise hunting dogs and my Mother always picks the most dominant, independent, and ill behaved dog to keep. They are alot of fun to train, and can be a challenge. You have to make sure that you are smarter than the dog. We have had dogs returned that the owners just weren't smart enough to handle the dogs.

Comment

All the suggestions are excellent

But, (don't ya hate those but's) Look into the herditary testing of atleast 2 generations -both sides of the pedigree- for the testable diseases that standards are prone too. One can not test for bloat but ASK. See if the breeder will give you names and telephone numbers of past puppy buyers and CALL them.

Some of the testing that should be done is for, hips and elbows, eyes, SA skin punches, JRD, etc. Try these web sits for further info:

http://www.poodlehistory.org/

http://www.canine-genetics.com/poodles.htm

http://www.poodlepedigree.com/

http://www.offa.org/

http://www.phrdatabase.com/

Hope this will get you started.

Chris

Comment

I think bloat is one of the scariest

"OMG what is wrong" all of a sudden things that can happen to a dog.

My big dogs as a rule have always been fed dry food mixed with some water, in smaller amounts 2-3 times a day. I think canned food (& even then, I'd still add water to the thicker varieties like Sci Diet) would be the ideal situation but have never done that because of the cost.
                Don't feed them right after exercise- I'd wait 45 minutes to an hour. And don't let them exercise after eating -same time frame.

I thought one of my Weims was bloating one time & I just freaked!! I have a good relationship with the emergency clinic here & was able to be helped (Thank God for cell phones!!) while getting her there. He thought from the beginning it wasn't bloat but wanted to see her ASAP. Turned out she had a seizure.

Don't let them drink excessively after eating either.

So far, I have never had one bloat, but a girlfriend's Great Dane did. She had surgery & bloated again (Don't remember how long afterward, less than a year) & couldn't be saved.

Hope this helps
                Erica

Comment

thank you all so much for the advice ,the picture is of the one i picked ,It was acomnbination of all the bits of advice i had it narrowed down to 2 and realy dident want any white marks but she just decided she was the one white paw or not ,i am not doing confirmation anyway but thanks again all , i am going to try to speak up and not be a lurker anymore !!

Comment

Well, now you know you have to post some more pictures of that little girl. Have you named her yet? She is so darling!
                    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Aww adorable! Have fun with her! (and more pics please )
                      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

For those of you concerned about your dogs getting bloat, keep in mind that the vet can stitch the stomach in place (when your female is in for spaying) so that the stomach does not turn over. I didn't realize this when Calli was spayed, but I'll be sure to do it when Shasta is spayed.

Comment

Her Name Is Websters Limited Edition Denali We Will Call Her Denali She Is 4 Weeks Cant Wait To Get Her Home Does Any One Have Any Ideas For Future Creative Grooms For A Red Poodle I Was Hopeing For A White Or Creame But 9 Little Red Heads Thanks For All Of Your Comments Will Post More Pics Rhonna

Comment

Pictures

I am still new at this picture download thing so i will give it a try thanks and i will send pics as i recieve them she gets her first groom next week little face and feet shaved thanks rhonna
                            Attached Files

Comment

Picking a Poodle

I just wanted to add to this thread that conformation is important in contest grooming as well as agility. The dog must be correctly structured for a reason. They will move better and be able to perform better. Structural faults will handicap them. As far as grooming, there is nothing more beautiful and flashy than a correctly structured Poodle. If the structure is correct, you can spend less time making it appear to look correct. And a big consideration is coat and coat texture. A properly coated Poodle will always scissor easier and get a better looking haircut and will hold up better in the long run.

One thing I found to be important (the hard way) is to check the dog's background for hereditary defects. I have an Australian Shepherd I bought as a hiking companion who ended up with the worst case of hip dysplasia I have ever seen. Standard Poodles have heredity skin diseases, so it would make sense to check for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X