how much do you dry cats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much do you dry cats?

I usually try to dry the cats as much as possible, i use a combination of blow dryer(if they tolerate it) and i have the big fans. but the feet are usually still damp or it's an issue with cats to uncurl them to get access to the feet. so my question is, how much do you dry cats that you groom, esp. if it's just a bath and no lioncut. assuming it's a medium temperment cat (not the psycho ones)...hahaha do you just tell the clients they will be wet and explain cats don't handle the drying process ?

I dry them as much as they let me w/out getting too stressed out or psycho acting. I do have some that go home w/damp (not wet) feet and sometimes even the legs and bellies may be a little damp. I do of course PREFER to have them bone dry, but most kitty's don't give a hoot for our PREFERENCES (lol). If the kitty is a little damp I will explain to the owners why and I have never had a client demand that I stress the cat (and me) out by further drying them (or trying to). I think what you are doing is just fine.
    SheilaB from SC

Comment

Here is my deal with cats....

I have a few regulars that I use the v-dryer on until they are dry. They are cats that have been groomed since they were young.

The other cats I just give a haircut to with no bath. Some of them flip out too much and I don't want to hand back a wet cat.

When people call about bathing/clipping their cat I explain that to them. Some will say, yes fifi has been groomed her whole life and thats fine. Some will say fifi is 5 years old and never had a bath and I explain what I can do instead.

I have had too many scratching, too many fish flipping cats and one bite too many to chance it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
        I dry them as much as they let me w/out getting too stressed out or psycho acting. I do have some that go home w/damp (not wet) feet and sometimes even the legs and bellies may be a little damp. I do of course PREFER to have them bone dry, but most kitty's don't give a hoot for our PREFERENCES (lol). If the kitty is a little damp I will explain to the owners why and I have never had a client demand that I stress the cat (and me) out by further drying them (or trying to). I think what you are doing is just fine.
        I do the same: Dry as much as possible. Some go home with damn feet and sometimes bellies. I tell the owners that their feet are still a little damp because cats don't normally take well to hair drying, and that she will air dry at home much more comfortably.

Comment

"some go home with damn feet and sometimes bellies"

Hmm.. I guess I'd be cursing their feet too, especially if I get scratched!! However I do try to send them all home with feet

Comment

hm....with cats...we used to just if they were getting a lioncut shave em down first, then bathe, then HV dry as much as possible, and if the cat wouldnt tolerate it then we'd just put them in a crate with towels over the top and back and sides and put a cage dryer on them. this way they were as dry as possible w/o freaking out. some cats we'd have to totally cage dry as they were very nasty.
            i was just going to say if you have someone to help hold the cat that would work...but i forgot this is the mobile forum and i guess cage drying the cat isnt an option either LOL! that would take to long!
            ah well..this was a salon that i worked at too.
            Hound

Comment

Like the others have said, it depends on the cat. Some handle dryers well. Some don't, for the ones that don't, I hold the dryer farther away from them and have them sit in my lap. I usually get everything dry except around the face and ears, that I towel dry. And explain why.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken View Post
                I do the same: Dry as much as possible. Some go home with damn feet and sometimes bellies.
                I know about those "damn" feet and bellies. Those "damn" feet and bellies take FOREVER to dry!

Sorry just had to tease you about your typo, that was a fun one.

Tammy in Utah
                PS: I try to scruff the cat and dry the feet well because that is where their body heat escapes.
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I think it's a rare cat that even 'needs' a bath- maybe if they got into something, have stud tail, etc. I don't do cats anymore (except for Larry, who complains verbally the whole time but NEVER tries to bite or scratch), but when I did, I didn't wash them unless I absolutely had to.

Once about twenty or so years ago, when I was still a bather, I had a cat actually pass out after it's bath. I hadn't used any kind of dryer on it, just toweled, went to put it in the cage and it just went limp. He revived pretty quickly, but it scared the heck out of me! That's when I learned that cats do not do well with stress, and I don't need one dropping with a heart-attack over something as silly as getting washed and dried.

Comment

Working...
                  X