Raising prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising prices

I have decided to raise my regular clients prices. I want to make it worth my while and not raise a dollar or two every year. Is a $5 raise too much at one time? What do you guys think?

5 dollars isnt that much to some people and to others its too much.
    i mean...people can adjust to it...i dont think 5 dollars is too much at all really.
    i say go for it!
    Hound

Comment

$5 is fine as long as you give ample notice :-)

Comment

I don't think so. You can do a search about this topic and get lots of ideas on this very subject.

Comment

Nope - I think that you are on target depending upon how low your prices were to begin with. Whenever I do a price increase, it is at a $5 increment.

Comment

$5 is just fine

That's what I raise it when I raise it. I have a pretty good feel for the clients who are reaching to be able to have me come to them. If I really want to keep tbem (they are in a good place, are easy to schedule, have nice dogs, are nice and easy to work with) I probably won't bump 'em up. I started quoting prices $5 higher than my current prices for new clients. When I wasn't having trouble getting that I started raising the prices for my further away clients, then difficult dogs, then difficult clients. Haven't lost anyone yet, not even a couple I was hoping would say "gee, just can't afford it now."

Last time I raised prices was 10/06, also by $5.

Quite frankly, I am grooming more dogs per day than I really want to be so if I lose a few due to $$, which is basically the price of one latte every 6 weeks .. well, it's not a biggie.

Comment

I raised mine 6.00 two times in one year. (Yes I bought a 18$ dog shop) Didn't even know that was possible anymore.

Comment

I think $5 is great. When I increased this year, I was a bit low, so I increased most by $10, and gave letters in advance...no one had a problem with even that, and they still tip me well! When I do my next increase, I will do $5.

Comment

I have already been quoting $5, even $10 over my existing prices to new clients. I started out WAY too low to try and get business (I know I know, trust me I learned my lesson) and now I need to get my existing clients up to where I am not kicking myself every time I drive 20 minutes away from home to my first appointment and not even make $50.

I think I am just going to start telling them that next time the price will be $5 higher due to gas prices and so on. It's just so hard to do, I always feel bad like I am trying to gouge them or something. And then they give you that "aren't I one of your best customers, you can't raise MY price..." kind of looks and then I feel guilty!

Comment

That's what we raise out prices by. I think that it's a good amount. Not too little, but not too much.
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

i do it every couple years

i raise my prices for almost everyone @ $5-10 every 2 years. i feel if i haven't raised the price 2 dollars every 6 months or whatever that in a year or 2 $5-10 is fair.. i've read that it's recommended to do small increments, but that means more letters and more postage and is more complicated for me. i've talked with people in other businesses and they've told me a 10% increase is acceptable due to inflation. i've typed the letters and i'm getting them copied tomorrow and i'm changing my policy to hourly for large dogs and the long coated ones. i do alot of goldendoodles and i'm losing money on the big dogs. if i compare my basic rate for small dogs and what i'm charging for big dogs right now, i'm losing alot of money on the big dogs. so switching to hourly for the big furry dogs should make a difference. and if they don't like it, it's less big dogs to break my back over. i told one client if the gas is going up $.10 cents a day i don't have much of a choice, and he couldn't argue with that. and someone made a point to me, if they complain, and i like them and don't want to loose them, i'd keep the same rate for some of my clients casue i like the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by terrimeyers View Post
                        And then they give you that "aren't I one of your best customers, you can't raise MY price..." kind of looks and then I feel guilty!
                        You need to wear a T-shirt with that saying that goes something like, "As someone we consider a friend, I'm sorry we have to charge you...... but we checked and found that we don't do any business with our enemies." ;-)

Comment

Idea

If someone wants to stay in business then they will have to periodicaly raise their prices. As a consumer I understand that and I think most people also think this way. Yes, some will cry foul and act as if the earth as they know it has now come to an end - but you will find that most of this type are the ones that do not bring their dogs in on any regular basis and can be the more difficult clients. If they leave maybe it is for the better.

If your mobile grooming how about adding a gasoline surcharge. For example $5.00 if the client is 0 to 15 miles from your location and and additional $2.00 per 10 iles after the first 15? Many service companies in my area are doing this from pest control to plumbers.

Comment

I also think five is fine. After all this summer gas prices here in san diego will be $4 a gallon..Yikes!!

Comment

client inflation watch

Sometimes I don't even need to raise my prices. I have several clients who raise their own prices! They're my favs!

Comment

Working...
                              X