V6 vs. V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 vs. V8

To pull a 3000lb trailer, would a V8 be necessary, or is a V6 ok? Specifically, a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Ford Explorer? I'm not interested in pick-up trucks.

I have a v6 and dealer said no way, go v8!

Comment

v8 tastes better :P

Comment

I would ask the dealer what the weight load is for each. You do not want to be towing the rig's full capacity at all times, that is rough no matter the type of engine. Make sure you have a little more capability than you need, perhaps 25%. Also ask that your warranty will still cover everything it should if you are towing constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by nuk View Post
          v8 tastes better :P
          HA HA! As long as it's the fruit kind. Tomato doesn't agree with me.

Anyhoo, I'm having a problem figuring out the capacity for the vehicles. They don't tell you what level of vehicle handles what capacity and when I contacted Chrystler, they gave me a bunch of useless **** about warrantee and adding your own tow hitch. Ya know what if yours doesn't have one and I need one, I'm going to install one...how 'bout them apples! I asked about a specific Jeep (which happened to be V8) and they told me its max was 2000lbs.
          They can handle up to 6500 thank you. The Explorers supposedly take up to 5000.
          By installing my own tow hitch, I void any warantee, so I'm not even worried about warrantee stuff.

So since the dealers are being jerks as usual, I figured I'd ask you all. It would be soooo much easier to get a V6, but I was concerned about my hilly area killing it. I'm probably going to end up using carmax just to avoid the dealer games (I need a used one anyway).

BUT! I can't get a truck without financing for the trailer being set anyways, so who knows!

Comment

I just asked my son (he trained to become a mechanic before totally deciding on a different career). He said a V6 will pull it but it depends more on the vehicle. Is it 3000 with the modification? If not, you need a V8 and get a special tow package.

Comment

Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post
              I just asked my son (he trained to become a mechanic before totally deciding on a different career). He said a V6 will pull it but it depends more on the vehicle. Is it 3000 with the modification? If not, you need a V8 and get a special tow package.
              It's a Gryphon trailer and it's 3000 with water included I believe.

Comment

Nuk

Thats what i was thinking ,add a little pepper and some hot suace a stick of celery and some ever clear and you got a rocket fuel health drink.lol
                V8 zoom zoom zoom.

Comment

I have a v6 with tow pkg with a 3500lb pulling capacity. unless I want to replace it with no transmission in a year or 2, forget about it. if you're looking to buy what you need..its better to have more than less. you also have to figure the tongue weight. It could crack your frame if you have to stop suddenly! so think about it! go with the larger suv's, v8 or whatever more!

Comment

V-8, it's a better engine. It'll last longer! I can go as fast as the cars do uphill. (grins)

Comment

Rev,
                      It all depends on the towing capasity. My jeep is rated to tow 5,000 and it is a V6. It works wonderful and I don't have to worry about the huge amount of gas in a v8
                      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Working...
                      X