Met with 3 other mobiles in my area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met with 3 other mobiles in my area

Last weekend I met up with 3 other mobiles in my area. We got together finally after a few years of knowing the others were "out there" and running into one another or speaking on the phone. It was very produtive!

We talked about areas served, pet size/breed preferences, and days/hours worked. We exchanged phone numbers and emails and have been able to inter-refer ever since then. It has been so nice being able to refer some of my larger dogs to the gal who loves big dogs, and the far-away clients to a gal who lives closer to them.

The very best part is that we have kept our valuable clients MOBILE. They have come to expect a certain level of convenience and we've kept that going instead of leaving them to find whomever they could on their own.

Also, 2 of these mobiles didn't happen to be in the yellow pages, so how would the clients even know about them?

It was well worth the effort and time to have a meeting. Highly recommended!!!

We have done that around the Dallas area as well. It is a lot of fun to get together with others that share similar business problems. We shared solutions as well as the best places to go for service when the rigs need it.

We put together a chart of contact information as well as locations serviced for everyone, now it is really easy to refer people that call out of area or have types/sizes of pets you don't do. Very few of us are in the yellow pages. (I was for 1 year only) The vehicles work great for advertising. I actually got only about 7 clients from the yellow pages the year I had an ad in them. (and I was in 3 books) That no where near covered the $65/month for EACH book. I stay very busy with just referrals and people seeing my van and I have only been mobile for 3 years. There is no need to be in the yellow pages unless you are in need of advertising to get business.

Comment

I guess people around here aren't as friendly. I went around to the only 2 groomers in the area to meet them. One was by accident because it was a pet store but I didn't know they had grooming, so I brought some cards in. As soon as the owner was coming to the front to talk to me, I just noticed the grooming sign hanging up in the back. It didn't say anything about grooming in their listing. Anyway i said who I was and how I didn't realize they already had grooming. Well she basically just cut me off and wanted me to leave.
      Then I went to this boarding place to just to introduce myself and let them know I was the new groomer in town, well that didn't go over well either. They said I could put some cards out then I called back a about a week later to see how it was going and she said I needed to pick my cards up! she said it in such a rude way then when I got down there I told her i was there for my cards and she never took her eyes off the computer screen, just turned her body around, got my stuff and put it on the counter, didn't even look up once. Well I'm not like that so I said " Great, Thank you!" and just left.
      I thought they would have been a little more friendly towards me or at least excited or something that another groomer was in the area to help out, right? unless they felt threatened, but I was going in there as a potential friend, not a business stealer. Huh, go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetpea View Post
        I guess people around here aren't as friendly. I went around to the only 2 groomers in the area to meet them. One was by accident because it was a pet store but I didn't know they had grooming, so I brought some cards in. As soon as the owner was coming to the front to talk to me, I just noticed the grooming sign hanging up in the back. It didn't say anything about grooming in their listing. Anyway i said who I was and how I didn't realize they already had grooming. Well she basically just cut me off and wanted me to leave.
        Then I went to this boarding place to just to introduce myself and let them know I was the new groomer in town, well that didn't go over well either. They said I could put some cards out then I called back a about a week later to see how it was going and she said I needed to pick my cards up! she said it in such a rude way then when I got down there I told her i was there for my cards and she never took her eyes off the computer screen, just turned her body around, got my stuff and put it on the counter, didn't even look up once. Well I'm not like that so I said " Great, Thank you!" and just left.
        I thought they would have been a little more friendly towards me or at least excited or something that another groomer was in the area to help out, right? unless they felt threatened, but I was going in there as a potential friend, not a business stealer. Huh, go figure.
        That is so rude and uprofessional! I have not run into that around here. Some groomers I have called seem a little surprised at first, but then they ease up and we end up having a great conversation. I am honest about anything they want to ask, and I make sure to do some asking myself!

Comment

That's great Marcey! I have been trying to get together with the few mobiles down by me but we can never seem to get a date and time where we all are available. I hope we can work something out soon. I already talk to one girl on the phone and she is super nice. I met her at a shop a few years ago before she went mobile and told her to call me when she was ready. It is so nice to have someone close by!

Comment

It's Nice to Play Nice!

There are quite of few of us mobiles out here in NoVa and we get together on occassion and all stay in touch. We are constantly referring callers to each other. I was happy to learn there was a groomer in an area that was getting to be too far for me as I was getting busier. The clients were nice ones and I didn't have to leave them in the lurch. And when one particular huge, snarly old Samoyed was getting to be too much for me, I was quite grateful that another groomer in the area was willing to take her on.

We've also been able to connect and share rooms at Groom Expo, making the Lodge pleasantly affordable! It's fun bumping into each other at the generator place when we're getting our maintanence work done and spending the time comparing notes and vans.

Several new groomers have started since I did -- I'm not quite three years on the road and I'm already "the old timer." It helps that there's plenty of business to go around, I am glad we all cooperate with each other and aren't super competitive.

Last summer I had a cookout that was a lot of fun, even though quite a few people had last-minute surprises that kept them away. I am hoping to do it again this summer as there's a few more in the area now.

For any of you mobiles who feel threatened when another mobile approaches you, relax! The benefits are many!

Meesh

Comment

Oh I almost forgot to mention...

When we give a referral that needs a "heads up" such as letting the other mobile groomer know that this big dog is a tugger or that little kitty is usually a mess, etc, we always give a call ahead so that the one being referred to isn't left wondering why they are getting the call. And they can also choose whether they want it at all. This was something we promised one another! So far so good!

Comment

Working...
              X