Hourly Billers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hourly Billers

How many of you mobiles bill hourly vs set fee...and do you ever run into a situation where a customer is questioning the amount of time it takes you? I don't bill hourly, mainly because I'm not a particularly fast groomer and I sometimes feel like I take longer than I should. I have a set fee per breed type, but charge more for pets that are excessively large or overweight for the breed standard. And I do charge (by the minute) for demat.

i've never had anyone question my charges. the main reason i instituted hourly rates was to discourage the PIA's. when someone would call and i would give a wide range in price, telling them it would be towards the lower end if they were well behaved and in reasonable shape and the other end if they were not. most customers truly know the deal regarding their dogs when they know they will pay more. when i would quote xx to xxx, the people who said " omg xxx, i knew i didn't want them as a customer.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Hourly

I recently started my mobile and I debated on my pricing. Hourly vs by breed. I finally decided that hourly suited my situation best.
      1. I'm very fast and consistent with my styling.
      2. I needed to make at least a certain amount to cover my bills.
      3. I'm very weak at haggling prices. So having a minimum of one hour (high price) would be set in stone in my head.
      4. I suck at math. My husband made a cheat sheet of prices with taxes included. It was very simple and simple is what I needed.

If people are not happy with my minimum of $____ , that is ok. They can't afford me, but next caller can and will pay me with a smile.

Comment

Hourly again

Oops,
        I forgot to mention that my first hour is 20 dollars more than the second hour. That covers the service fee.
        I love being mobile!!!!

Comment

We charge hourly BUT we also carry local salon prices with us to make sure we are NOT cheaper than them.

Comment

I charge hourly. I get over 95% of my dogs completed within an hour. (I also have amin charge of 1 hour) After the first hour, it is charged in 15 min portions. So a pet that took me an hour and 12 min would be charged for 1.25 hour at the hourly rate. Aside from behavour, I can usually inform a client upon initial evaluation of the pet as to whether or not I feel I can complete the job within the hour. (I also have my van cleaned up and ready for the next groom before taking the pet in for that groom. And that clean up time is part of the groom time as well as the van was clean when I started their pet and cleaning up after the groom is part of the groom)
            I have been grooming 30 years and am pretty fast. I can usually have a dog finished in 45 min or less and looking better than many groomers that take up to 2 hours to finish the same pet. Hourly worked much better for me than a breed price, plus housecall, plus dematting, plus medicated shampoo plus plus. Everything other than desheding and flea baths are included in my hourly rate. I don't charge extra for medicated shampoos, conditioners, brushing teeth, cologne, bandanas, bows, etc. Even dematting as since it takes me longer, the client easily understands why their price is higher when it goes over the hour.

This type of pricing really only works well if you are able to complete nearly all your grooms within an hour.

Comment

FurReal

I'm like you, slow and enjoy the process. I'm lost when grooming. I also am housecall and chit chat often with the owner, and the dog, lol. I did not go independant to ever feel rushed like I did at someones shop, nor to feel ever a need to qualify my need for two baths or scissor finishing the legs. But those who work it well can enjoy that way. I also provide the best possible service and products, not adding on things, but as part of the package. I sure found it awful to "have" to use cheap shampoo when I worked at a store, often sneaking the great shampoo for some of the dogs, because I wanted the dog to look great.
              Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I have thought about charging by the hour because it seems I always end up making about $xx per hour every appointment. I am consistent with my time and it takes me about an hour and half to wash, dry, and finish the dog, clean up and pack up my stuff (housecall) Even less time for the second dog. Depending on the breed. But.... on my standard poodles I think if I charged hourly they would be floored by the price because it takes me about 3 hours to do a lamb with bath, dry, and scissored legs. I want to keep the price in the double digits. $XX~ And I even skim off a bunch of hair with my clippers first to save time. I think if I had a better dryer then I could be much faster. But if I was at a clients house working on other breeds for 3 hours I would want to get paid $XXX. So I don't know if I would do hourly for everything but standard poodles, that sounds kinda snobby lol.

Comment

switching to hourly

i have had mostly set prices based on small/med/lg, but i'm switching to hourly for the big and fluffy like goldendoodles, cause comparing pricing for small dogs and big dogs, i'm losing money. it's more of a guideline..

Comment

Why not hourly for all so you always make what you're worth. EG--I did a portie puppy in 1G all over yesterday in 1 hr 15 min. An avg ckr in 7 pattern, 1G legs usually takes me 1 hr 30 min because they are so much thicker and all that dry time. Of course I make more on the cocker as I should. If clients don't like paying me for every minute I'm working then I don't need the client. Don't get me wrong, I do plenty of yorkies and maltese, but I also have lots(about 50%) easy bath dogs. They might be bigger, but that's just 1 butt boost onto a hydralic table and no clipping or scissoring. Brushing's a breeze with Les Pooch brushes.

Comment

More $

Do you all feel like your making more money grooming by the hour than by using a set rate with a convenience charge? I've never even thought about doing it by the hour.

Comment

Originally posted by spacy colors View Post
                        Do you all feel like your making more money grooming by the hour than by using a set rate with a convenience charge? I've never even thought about doing it by the hour.
                        I make more on some and less on others (usually due to the fact that I would have charged a demat fee if I weren't on hourly and still finished within an hour) Where I found the most benefit to going hourly was the time saved on the phone with clients. People just didn't get the separated groom/service call pricing so I had to spend time explaining it with each caller. Now it is simple to understand. I actually have more people book from their initial call than I did when pricing was separated. I do assure them though that I will let them know UPFRONT, upon arrival if I think their pet will take me more than an hour to complete. I hate price surprises and don't like giving them to someone else either.

Comment

When on hourly does your time start? When you pick up the dog or when you pull into the drive? If you need to add tank water do you offer a rebate?

Comment

Stop Clock

Originally posted by Dexy View Post
                            When on hourly does your time start? When you pick up the dog or when you pull into the drive? If you need to add tank water do you offer a rebate?
                            I have a Start/Stop clock in my WNT. As soon as the dog touches my table, I push start. If I get a personal phone call, or for any reason I'm not working on the dog, I push the stop button. And when I finish I start it again. I try to be very fair with the client and honest about how long it will take me. If I go over the original estimated time, I'll probably eat it the first time, but I'll let the owner if it goes over next time it will be ---. I'm very careful to watch the gage on the water tank, so far I've never needed to refill at a clients house. If I notice I'm getting low, I swing home to top off. But I wouldn't offer a discount for needing to refill, your service is worth a little water.

Comment

Originally posted by Dexy View Post
                              My time starts the moment I get in my van with the dog and ends the moment I leave the van with the dog. I also clean up the tub and vacuum before going back to the house with the dog. I have only ever had to add water once and that was because I completely forgot to fill before I left and yes, I gave the client $5 off their bill as a thank you for letting me fill from their home. I groom between 6-8/day and have never run out of water doing that number. I do limit how many large dogs I schedule in a day due to the water consumption as I hate having to fill during my day.

Comment

Working...
                              X