Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet groomer charged with burglary

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../NEWS/70418052

HOLMDEL — Police have arrested the owner of a mobile pet grooming business and charged him with stealing prescription drugs from one of his customers.

Police on Tuesday charged Steven Ketchie, owner of Beau's Bark and Bath, which is a mobile pet grooming business located at Driftway Road in Howell, with burglary and theft of a township residence on Rambling Brook Drive.

Ketchie had been employed by the homeowner for more than two years, according to police. The homeowner knew that Ketchie would be arriving at the residence prior to her arriving home, so a door was left unlocked so that Ketchie could enter and remove the pets for grooming.

When the homeowner arrived home, she noticed that someone had gone through her belongings located in the bedrooms and closets, police said. The homeowner questioned Ketchie, who was still on the premises at the time, but he denied going through any of the rooms.

The homeowner then called police, who conducted a search of the house, and determined a number of prescription medications were missing from the home. It did not appear that any other items were stolen, police said.

Ketchie was charged with burglary and theft and released on his own recognizance.

Sergeant Shawn Bailey and Corporal Walter Weber made the arrest. Detective Thomas Foley assisted.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Gee that is circumstancial evidence

Unless they found the groomer with the medications in his possession. After all the door was unlocked, anybody could have come and grabbed whatever. Sure don't let my customers leave the door unlocked.

Long ago I sold a shop to a groomer, seemed nice. She started pick-up and delivery. I happened to be with her when the police came to arrest her for stealing from the customers, she had an in with the homes, knew when they were gone, and had it so she knew dogs were friendly or that got used to her and so easy access to the homes. Yep, she indulged in drugs, I found out later, and "needed" drug money.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

What an eye opener!

I am always a little nervous when attending to first time clients.
      (Love the ones with burglar alarms.)

One of my clients prefers to have me live there when they are gone.
      It seems from the second time on I always have something to report that needs minor repair. (Tie out rope broken, ceiling fan pull needs to be rehung, soap dispenser not working anymore.......)

Good thing they value my service!!!
      Erica

Comment

Originally posted by Arrooh View Post
        Unless they found the groomer with the medications in his possession. After all the door was unlocked, anybody could have come and grabbed whatever. Sure don't let my customers leave the door unlocked.

Long ago I sold a shop to a groomer, seemed nice. She started pick-up and delivery. I happened to be with her when the police came to arrest her for stealing from the customers, she had an in with the homes, knew when they were gone, and had it so she knew dogs were friendly or that got used to her and so easy access to the homes. Yep, she indulged in drugs, I found out later, and "needed" drug money.
        That's exactly what I 1st thought. They didn't say if they found the scrips on him. Hmmm.....That's exactly where I used to do mobile grooming. All of Monmouth County,NJ

Comment

This article illustrates perfectly why I don't groom for people who are not home, nor do I take keys or alarm codes. Someone on this board called me irresponsible for not doing so, now do you 'get it'?

Comment

I won't groom for people not home. I have in my paper work a responsible adult needs to be on premises (home) the entire grooming appointment time. NO way. It's not worth the chance of something happening and the story illustrates what *could* happen to some one who wouldn't do something dishonest.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
              This article illustrates perfectly why I don't groom for people who are not home, nor do I take keys or alarm codes. Someone on this board called me irresponsible for not doing so, now do you 'get it'?
              You are so right Soap. I am not mobile, but don't think that I would want to groom without an owner home.
              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

OMG

you all are not going to believe this.......... I was grooming in holmdel one day for a new customer that called because their other mobile groomer never called her back. Well let me tell you while i was grooming this customers dog Steve just came into my van and scared the hell out of me. I yelled at him to get out of my van it was unreal. That was the day I started locking the grooming truck even when I was in peoples driveways.

This guy creeped me out then and now to read this OMG I am so glad I scared him out of my van!

Comment

I think I would be okay with having access to the backyard- I don't want keys or security codes, though!

Comment

A big part of my service is the convenience factor and that the clients don't even have to be home. I'd say about 50% of my of my clients are not home and it makes my life soooo much easier. Dog walkers do it, cleaning people do it ... I've gotten this far in my life without any record and with a good reputation for honesty, I'd say unless the police actually could connect me with whatever the client may claim is missing, they'd have a hard time making their case. I make more $$ than a lot of my clients, if I see something I like, I'll ask them where they got it and buy it myself.

I think I may rethink my "open door" policy though. That one always made me nervous in case I wasn't the first one to enter the house. I'm always a little spooked going into an open house or ones where the keys are in very obvious places.

Comment

Unless they actually found the drugs in his possession, they're going to have a hard time convicting him on this one. Who's to say a neighborhood brat hasn't been watching the house, knows the routine, and went in to help him/herself to the pharmaceuticals? Prescription drugs are very popular with the younger set these days. If there's a kid in the family, it could even have been their own brat. Perfect way to rip Mom off, and blame it on the dog groomer.

Comment

I have no problem grooming for others when they are not home. I understand for those who don't, but it's the one's who aren't even home and work so much that really appreciate having a clean and maintained dog that they don't have to worry about taking to a salon. I think that this mobiler will make it difficult for the other mobiles, that's for sure. Especially in that area who see the news.

Comment

Originally posted by pekapoosmom View Post
                          you all are not going to believe this.......... I was grooming in holmdel one day for a new customer that called because their other mobile groomer never called her back. Well let me tell you while i was grooming this customers dog Steve just came into my van and scared the hell out of me. I yelled at him to get out of my van it was unreal. That was the day I started locking the grooming truck even when I was in peoples driveways.

This guy creeped me out then and now to read this OMG I am so glad I scared him out of my van!
                          Wow that is weird. What was he doing there that day, the same time you were? Why did he walk in like that?

Tammy in Utah
                          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Thats crazy if its true but people with drug problems tend to steal and can't be trusted.I do have some clients that leave me a key and I go in and groom the dog.I would never take anything from them.I'm a very honest person.If they did blame me they would have to prove it.It's always a great idea to lock you van.

Comment

How odd, did you see hte comments below the article, were they talking about the groomer dying?????

Comment

Working...
                              X