Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing is everything??

Hi all you veteren mobil groomers!

I followed your advice and purchased the grooming in a box business plan materials and the Problems to Profits book. Great stuff! My question now which is crucial to me is this: what time of year is best to start up my mobile business and what time is worse? I do not want to assume that Spring is best and early Fall is bad but I do not want to head into this at the wrong time. My goal is to be ready around July or August. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I live in NC so winter does not concern me too much.

Originally posted by shearcanine View Post
    Hi all you veteren mobil groomers!

I followed your advice and purchased the grooming in a box business plan materials and the Problems to Profits book. Great stuff! My question now which is crucial to me is this: what time of year is best to start up my mobile business and what time is worse? I do not want to assume that Spring is best and early Fall is bad but I do not want to head into this at the wrong time. My goal is to be ready around July or August. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I live in NC so winter does not concern me too much.
    I'm not mobile, but my guess would be SUMMER---as that is generally a good time of year for grooming businesses in general.

Good luck to you, how exciting!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I live in Reno and got my van in November and am booked 4-5 weeks in advance now. Have your clients rebook their next appointment and network as much as possible with all types of businesses especially dog related ones and park and do business in areas you want to be in.

Comment

Call Yellow book and find out when the ad deadline is or you'll be out of the phonebook for a year!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I started my mobile business in July and was booked solid by the following January. Mobile grooming is not a seasonal as a shop would be because the customers book ahead. I book all of my customers (with the exception of 2 or 3 with real easy dogs) on a regular cycle through the end of the year. That way I can set aside time for my vacation and still take care of my customers.

Good luck with getting your business off the ground. By the way, I spent a lot of money and time advertising at the outset.

Comment

I agree about phone book....

Yellow Book is not the primary book necessarily rather, it is the phone book real yellow pages that bills you for your business phone number. If you have a busness phone whatever it is called Like Pacific Bell in Cal. New England something. Be sure to have a number w/ them. Fall is not the best here. Oddly, six yrs ago Jan was my best mon even w/ B Cancer. April -May very good usually...cuz dogs get stripped in the Spring. When eqa month is similar in income, you are doing really well. I am in Dex Media...big rip off. I get calls from free small one liners from yellow book and other divided into town, books, but it is cuz they got the number from Dex business number. I am going web site as soon as soon as I can get one. Go for a website.Will you be grooming in Mayberry? I don't think Opie and Andy Taylor, have a dog.Good LUCK. I love Mobile.

Comment

Get into that phone book (you can always take the ad out next year if you get too busy) and pick a name with the beginning letters of the alphabet. This way potential customers will call YOU first.
              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

yes the phone book add helps,but you don't have to pick a name with the first letters of the alphabet to be first,in my area who ever has been in it longer can bump the new ones that happened to me last year, they had a new mobile groomer in my area and the sales guy let me know, when i was doing mine and signing the contract i asked him;can i bump her since i've been doing business with you guys for 3 yrs already?he said yes you can most people don't know so they don't ask he said; so i bumped her and because i have a 1/2 pg add i was the first one in the grooming section mobile and shop so just pick the name you want and build a good relationship with the sales guy that way he will give you all the info next time you renew the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                  I'm not mobile, but my guess would be SUMMER---as that is generally a good time of year for grooming businesses in general.

I think it depends on the area you live in. After the beginning of the summer here, business generally drops off for ALL service businesses- this is a tourist and snowbird city. ;-) I have plenty of local regulars, so my regular snowbirds leaving doesn't affect me much. In fact, it's often a much-needed break to go from "swamped" to just plain "busy".lol
                  Last edited by RoosMom; 04-21-07, 04:00 PM. Reason: I can't spell ;-)

Comment

It doesn't really matter what time of year

I started in August 2004, straight out of school and got as busy as I could handle and built up as I was comfortable. For the past two years I've been pretty much at or over capacity, year round. I thought my first September before I had a lot of regulars lined up would be tough because peoples' minds being on back-to-school and getting inti new routines and such but that wasn't the case at all, everything just built up nce and steady for me.

Personally, I think it's nice to start in milder weather so by the time winter comes and you have to pay attention to pipes and snow and such you have the regular stuff down pat and adding to the routine won't be overwhelming.

Then again, everyone wants their dogs to look nice for the holidays so between Thanksgiving and Christmas you can build a nice business.

The real key to building steady, year round business is to make sure you've booked their next appointment before you leave them. And once you are reasonably busy you may want to start turning down the "once a year" dogs -- hard on you, hard on your equipment.

Good luck!!

Meesh

Comment

Working...
                    X