What is the advantage of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the advantage of

working for someone as a mobile employee if, you, as the employee keep the rig at your residence and have to take care of everything inside of it? I'm just wondering. For my employee, she comes and the van is ready with water, diesel, towels and her schedule and she's ready to go. If you are working for someone and have to keep the van with you, have to put in the fuel, water, wash towels (if you don't have a linen service), what makes it worth working for someone else rather than owning your own? I am truly curious, because I am sure there is a good answer to this that I am not thinking of. I'm sure part of it is the expense and hassle of owning a business. I really appreciate any feedback.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I've only rode along a few times in a mobile, but from reading on here, the expense/hassle/responsibility of maintenance and fixing anything that can go wrong (mechanically or with the parts for grooming) is a huge reason not to own your own!

Comment

mylady sorry i can't help you on this because i'm lucky i don't have to do any of those things my son does everything on a daily basis and if my son is not here or out of town then my hubby steps up and covers for him. i don't even pump gas my son does that too!

and to kdickerson i rather go through all that hassle than to work for someone again! if you are good to your van and keep up with it you should be fine my van is a 2004 WNT and i bought brand new it only has 61,000 or so miles and the generator still works. i guess you can say i had bad experiences with previous employers they would keep my tips and did not pay me enough i was paying around 2600 dollars on taxes a year when i worked for the last one! and she made my own schedule and told me what to do! i love being my own boss and taking the days off when i feel like it and not have to answer to others why i need this day off or that time off! i work less and make way more money too.

mylady i'm sure you are a great boss because it sounds like it. i hope that we all learn from you and show respect to our employees like you show for yours!

Comment

I will give you my take- I do think this may be better for those who are employees to answer:
        My employees take the vans home, they clean it, fuel it (at my cost), make it theirs.

The benefit to them is they have someone who takes cares of all expenses, insurance, legal fees, taxes, secretary, customer complaints, website, etc.

They receive high percentages based on what they do, they get some freedom with their schedule, they get support from me, perks and bonuses from me.

Comment

First off, I dont have employees, but in my opinion, I dont see where it is such a big deal to keep up the van really. I think it would be easier just for the fact that there is no drop off or pick up, it is in their own driveway. Cleaning towels would probably the biggest pain. Cleaning, getting gas and filling with water dont take to much time, all just part of the job. A big advantage is that they have a "job" and are probably making more money than at a shop, in a nice quiet atmosphere, with very loyal clients that are very appreciative. That is my take on it anyway.
          What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

I think my main concern in having am employee keeping the van at their home is the added expense to them. In the winter time they will need to plug in and run heaters. My current van and new van are diesels with block heaters which also need to be plugged in during the winter. I know with just my one van, the two heaters I have to run during the winter and the block heater it made quite an impression on my electric bill. I don't pay for water, well, it's paid for in my city taxes, but other places you would have to, so that is another concern of mine. I've thought about eventually having 2 or more vans but don't have room for them all at my home and I like being able to see my employee on a regular basis, just touch base etc. I just didn't know if someone would want the added hassle of keeping a van at their home.

Comment

[QUOTE=mylady;414097]I think my main concern in having am employee keeping the van at their home is the added expense to them. In the winter time they will need to plug in and run heaters. QUOTE]

That would be something you should cover, not the employee. Either pay it, or pay them more.
              What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

My employees have to plug in every night (we use inverters) and their electric bill raised about $10 per month. They use their own water and wash the towels them self.

They each have a debit card to use for fuel, garbage bags, cotton balls, paper towels, etc.

Comment

Do they have to pay for water? I know when we had to pay for water in OH it was not cheap. Electricity is EXPENSIVE here in NY. I think it's about 3 times the amount our friends pay per kw in Ohio. So the first winter that was tough here with the two heaters and the block heater, our electric bill jumped $150+. We compared previous winter bills and it wasn't that we were paying that much more per k/w/h but that we were using that much more electric. I tried upgrading extension cords and everything, didn't really help. We went from an average $350 month bill to $500+ a month bill and I don't want to saddle others with that. Plus, there is no real way to know how much electric they are using for the van. This past winter it was cheaper because it was a much milder winter and I didn't have to plug it in as much.

Comment

I am an employee of a mobile grooming business that has thier employees tend to their own vans and keep them at their homes. I actually prefer it this way since I don't have to make the extra trips in the morning and evening to drop off the van. That means more time for me to spend with my family and relax! Down here I FL I really haven't noticed a great increase in my power bill and I'm lucky to be on well water. Plus, when I'm responsible for my own ride, I get to use my favorite cleaners, fragences, organizers and so forth. My work environment is tailored to me and my preferences. A more comfortable and happy employee equals more $$$$$ since I am more inclined to work langer in my home away from home.

Comment

Well, I am not a mobile employee or owner for that matter, but here is my take. If you are letting them take the van home for the night, they don't have to drive their own vehicle to and from where ever. Depending on how far away from you they live, I would wonder how much that gas savings would run every month? Not to mention they are saving wear and tear on their own car. If I were mobile and lived the same distance from my employer that I live now, and could take my rig home at night: I would save at least $30 a week in gas from my own pocketbook. So that is about $140 a month. Of course they would not need to hook up a heater during the summer, so that is "free" money at that point. They would still make out ahead, if they were me in this situation. I assume you would still pay for gas, incidentals as Gracy Rose mentioned. Really, as much as would come out of their pocket in the winter, conceivably, they would still be making out ahead due to the savings in the summer.
                      I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                      -Michelangelo

Comment

Working...
                      X