12 volt air conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt air conditioner

OK, so my A/C isn't working right in the van. I have a portable A/C unit and now have to face whether or not to replace with another portable or cut through some graphics and get a window unit installed. But anyway, as I was looking up these units I came acorss directions for a do-it-yourself 12volt air conditioner. Now, I'm not looking to use this to cool the van. NO WAY, BUT I have no dash air and it gets HOT in the front cab. I'm thinking of making one of these for the front of the grooming van for when I drive. I already have a 12 volt fan. I just need to buy a cooler and some air directional atachments. Some use pipe but one guy recommended those platic things used on air vents to aim the air. It's simple. Cut a piece of 1 inch insullated foam to fit the top of the cooler, cut a hole for the fan on one side and a hole for the outtake on the other. Attach the fan on one side and the outtake directional thing on the other. Fill cooler with ice or freezer packs and turn on the fan. It's supposed to last about 6 hours on a 30 gallon cooler. I know it probably sounds hokey, but I am NOT going to sink another $1K into this van for a new A/C condensor to get the dash A/C fixed. And I hate sweating on my way to appointments. Even if it just gave me a cooler breeze while I was driving that would be nice.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Sounds like

it would work. I had the same feeling part of last summer because the Chinook's dash AC doesn't work. I just opened both Wind-Wings and had a lot of air flow. but I was home before the heat of the day really set in, too. Even in AZ, I'd book early and be home before the heat of the day.

I know it's opposite for you, so my "blowing" situation really won't work for you.

Comment

Mylady

Are you su the portable is broken? It coul just be cloggd up with hair and dander. Do you hear the compressor kick on fans blows but not cold? some portables use the water they collect out of the air to mke them more effective but the drip bar gets clogged. Or the cooling the coil fins get stuffed with hair and dander and all manor of nasty stuff that get past the filter. then the cold side just ices up and no air passs through the coils it finds a way around them and apears to blow out but week.
      Dash AC is a bit more painful ,people tend to use them for long periods of time at an idle on really hot days. At idle your not getting enough air over the condensor coils in the front of the engine so it works harder then it was designd to for long periods of time. f you get the dash air fixed maybe you could add an auxilary electric fan to the engine radiator to increase the air flow at idle.

Comment

clean the filter

press the re set

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post
          Are you su the portable is broken? It coul just be cloggd up with hair and dander. ,,,an auxilary electric fan to the engine radiator to increase the air flow at idle.
          It will try to kick on and then nothing happens, then the error message will show up saying it's full but when I got to dump the water there is none to dump. I'll try cleaning it out. I really don't want to have to buy a new one, they are really expensive.
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Working...
          X