Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rescheduling problem

Hey guys

OK, I have a scheduling issue. I must attend the funeral of a family member next week. One of the clients whose appt will have to be rescheduled is a 3 dog house in another town that I visit once per month. So, the appt itself takes half a day with travel time included. I don't have a solid half day of open space to reschedule them into for at least 3 weeks unless I tack them on at the end of an already full day...get there around 5 and groom til 8. I think I would be dead, but also am concerned somewhat with operating a generator into the evening, family hours. I am thinking of just advising them to take their dogs somewhere else and pick up normal on our next scheduled appt. I have a few spaces here or there that I can fit one dog into, but not a dog out of town. They are very good, loyal clients. But...they are in this other town. So I guess what I am saying is I would hate to lose them over this, but on the other hand...could be my ticket out of going to this town altogether. Thoughts? I guess it could go either way, they will discover that another groomer is much better than I am and stay with them, or maybe they will love me even more!

see if there is another mobile in their area, or go there on your day off just to get it done and keep the customer happy.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

when i had another mobile in the area. i had her cover a couple of dogs when i needed to go out of town. my customers appreciated making sure their dogs got done on schedule even though i couldn't do it. they would never have jumped ship.
      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Would you be willing to give up a Saturday?
        www.gomobileandsucceed.com
        http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Even though I guard my weekends jealously, I would give it up for these clients. However, my daughter is in a pivotal tennis tournament on the weekend. I quit the corporate world so that my kids would never have to again wonder why I wasn't there for them.

Comment

call them and explain the situation. it may not be as big a deal as you think. most mobile customers are more appreciative of their groomer. i hate to tell you how many customers will call me on a snow storm to make sure i stayed home.
            Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
            "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

fur, if you really aren't too concerned about the possibility of losing them, then give them the choice of taking them to another groomer.

I hate having to reschedule dogs, it makes me feel bad about my obligation to my clients. But if we are sick, then we are sick. If we have a funeral- it won't wait until we're done grooming. I was sick for 2 days straight and ended up losing a whole weekend over it recently. And guess what??? I ended up sick again.

So it's a no-win situation sometimes and we gotta do what we gotta do. If they really value your services then they will reschedule in the future. Perhaps you could refer them to another mobiler in their area.

Comment

Fur, do you have another day with several dogs booked separately that you can add to the end of your days. I have had to do that in order to accomodate some good customers. You just tell the customers that you have to rearrange your week because you have a funeral to attend and you are trying to make it as efficient as possible.
                Of course if you are thinking you want to get rid of them then send them somewhere else.

Comment

Here is what I decided to do...I pretty much did what you suggested, Misty. I moved a couple of irregular and less 'good' clients off their spots on friday and fit them in willy nilly the next week. That way i freed up half a day and gave it to my displaced good client (the one with 3 dogs who takes half a day). For the other two displaced clients who also live in the same town (one of which is regular but is moving soon and the other who is irregular and only calls every 4 months for her hairy pom) I just told them i had a death in the family and wouldn't be able to make the appt. The next time I would be in their area and could see them would be May 4th, apologized for the disruption and understood if they needed to get their dogs taken care of before that time. They both called me and eagerly took the may 4th spot.

Comment

I usually work, sick or not, but about six weeks ago I had a bad reaction to a medication I was prescribed and had to reschedule the day. With the exception of one client, for whom this would have been a first groom, all were understanding. The exception was such a jerk about it I counted it a blessing that I won't be their groomer apparently. Do I want a client that nonflexible and nonunderstanding?

So yeah, call, explain, and if they are as good as you say, they won't mind waiting, and if not, well, like you said, no more high tailing it to the distant town.

Meesh

Comment

I hope you are not working 6 or 7 days a week. If that is the case then you set yourself up for trouble. Stuff happens. It's life. This is why you need a fall back day that you could fill in if: a baby is born, someone dies, goes into the hospital, needs to see a doctor, dog has to go to doctor etc., etc...... That is what that Saturday or Monday would be for. There has to be a point that you tell people even tho you have 2 full days open that you are booked. Dont let people run your biz. For this client if they love you they could wait the month and understand you situation or you could work on a day off. Every one of my clients would wait the month till i could get there. They know i have a life. Family.
                      Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Working...
                      X