How do you pay mobile employees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you pay mobile employees?

I really thought we had discussed this before, although I didn't get much from searching 'commission for mobile groomers'. Does anyone on the board have mobile employees? How do you pay them fairly and still profit? It won't be any time soon, but I would love to expand and have mobile employees someday (probably full charge groomers, since they will work alone). I would imagine they would each have 'their' clients on schedules, they would be responsible for cleaning and restocking the units and would drop the units, dirty laundry, etc. off nightly at a central location for refueling and refilling the tanks, etc. I may even separate the units and have some that do no clipping, except shavedowns, plus all the bath and brush dogs (big guys, etc). Any ideas? What has worked for others? What would you do differently? Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

well in my opionin..if you separate the units into say..you have 6 units...3 do full service grooms, 2 do only bath only dogs and the big hairys and 1 only does shavedowns...i honestly dont think that would be fair to the groomer doing the dogs! also i think it would be majorly confusing to the client who wants to book with that groomer...and be told that the groomer dosnt do haircuts? i dunno...i just think that'd be confusing...
    JMO
    it might work though.
    Hound

Comment

I once spoke to a guy who had and he was paying only 30%, but claimed they got $75+ per dog , used a pom as an example.

Comment

I am a mobile employee.... And I get 50% for clients they bring to me and 60% for those who are either referred to ME or who I made the initial contact with.... They provide the gas for the van; I'm responsible for keeping it clean. I'm in the van 5 days a week, and one of my employers uses it once a week (the rest of the week, he's in the storefront salon).

Comment

Originally posted by HoundLover View Post
          well in my opionin..if you separate the units into say..you have 6 units...3 do full service grooms, 2 do only bath only dogs and the big hairys and 1 only does shavedowns...i honestly dont think that would be fair to the groomer doing the dogs! also i think it would be majorly confusing to the client who wants to book with that groomer...and be told that the groomer dosnt do haircuts? i dunno...i just think that'd be confusing...
          JMO
          it might work though.
          Hound
          I agree, that would be confusing. What I meant was, if I had a lot of non-clipped dogs (ie. labs, GDS, etc.) I could have a separate unit that did just those, if necessary. Kind of like a mobile brusher/bather who also was qualified to trim nails and clean ears, deshed/shavedowns. I think it would be easier to find someone and train them for these basic skills, and maybe in the future, move on to training more advanced grooming skills. Make sense? Of course, households with a mix of clipped and non-clipped dogs would be done by a more skilled groomer, so as not to have 2 groomers for 1 household...

Anyways, that was just me thinking. I really just wanted to know commission rates and what they did and did not do. There is so much involved, like, where to obtain the funds to get multiple units, how much to charge so I can afford the insurance AND pay employees AND pay myself. I need to design a protocol so that I can train everyone to follow my ideal "way" of doing things and proper sanitary skills, etc. I really, really want to be prepared and be a fair, but good manager of staff

Comment

I pay 45% and furnish just about everythying. Our average client is $70

Comment

I have everything furnished and earn 55%.

Comment

ah i gotcha now...yeah that would be fair if you'd be willing to train someone at their own pace how to groom...if you find someone willing to do that then by all means go for it!
                Hound

Comment

Originally posted by syphol View Post
                  I have everything furnished and earn 55%.
                  Syphol (Ashley), Are you an employee or contractor? Do you have workmans comp? I agree that 55% is great but there is alot to consider.

Comment

I'm sorry, Ashley? I'm a bit confused.

Anyway, I do have workman's comp, but I am also booked up and at a waiting list status, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Comment

If I were to be a Mobile Employee I think I would need to make more than 50% because you can't do as many dogs being mobile. Why wouldn't I just take a job in a salon where I can groom 10 dogs and make 50%. But then if the prices were high enough I guess 50% would be OK. But for a mobile bather I think you should just pay them by the hour plus 10 or 15%. They should be able to make in a day what they would at a salon. What ever it be. So if I averaged $130.00 a day in a salon, and a mobile salon had a average cost of $60 per dog and I got 50% then I would have to groom at least 4 dogs which is easily done IMO. So I guess 50% wouldn't be too bad. A van payment is 1200 average so you would make 1400 a month profit minus your overhead. If your groomer did 4 dogs a day 5 days a week. Not Bad.

Comment

I pay 45% and my groomers average about $200 per day during slower times. Our average day is about $550 during Christmas we were averaging about $800.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. That is what I was looking for

Comment

Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post
                            I pay 45% and my groomers average about $200 per day during slower times. Our average day is about $550 during Christmas we were averaging about $800.
                            Am I reading this right? Each groomer is making $200 per day? at 45% commission? And more other times? Are you a slavedriver or just have extremely high grooming prices? How long can a groomer last if they are overworking themselves and doing more dogs than they may be comfortable with? I say quality over quantity. This job is also about caring for animals, not just turning a fast buck.
                            Making Central Florida Pawsitively Purrfect since 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawsitively Purrfect View Post
                              Am I reading this right? Each groomer is making $200 per day? at 45% commission? And more other times? Are you a slavedriver or just have extremely high grooming prices? How long can a groomer last if they are overworking themselves and doing more dogs than they may be comfortable with? I say quality over quantity. This job is also about caring for animals, not just turning a fast buck.

Excuse me but how do you know she is overworking her groomers or being a slavedriver? Do you know her or have you worked for her? How do you know there is poor quality? Based on my calculations her mobile groomers are doing roughly 6 dogs a day to make $200, plus they are probably getting tips too. Grace please correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X