Holy Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Wind

We have a high wind warning today. They are advising that all high profile vehicles to stay home. I'm new to driving this van and have a nerve wracking time when it's windy. My husband is insisting that I re-schedule my appts. instead of risking an accident. I'm new at mobile grooming so I only have 3 scheduled for today. Just wondering what others do in this sort of situation? Thanks guys
    Carrie

Hi CarrieT

If you are questioning it then listen to the hubby and reschedule it is not worth anything happening to us or your van. If in doubt and you said they have an advisory out????? I would n't go I would rebook. Take care and Happy Grooming, I think you will love being your own boss, and it is such a pleasure to work in a quiet atmosphere.

Comment

If there is a public advisory to stay home, I'd do it. But for normal windy days I prefer to take back roads to taking the highways and interstates. We have to drive slower than a car would in high winds and this can cause problems too.

Comment

The last time I ignored high wind warnings in my area (gusts over 100 mph), my Sprinter was hit broadside by a gust of wind while I was doing about 65 mph. It picked me up onto the two passenger-side wheels before SLAMMING me back down. Amazingly, no damage was done to the van but my equipment was flung hither and yon. It made the most god-awful racket as all those sharp, heavy items flew about mere feet from the back of my head. It also scared the bejeezus outta me. After I was done crying and hyperventilating, I called bossman, told him to reschedule everyone, turned around, and drove home along backroads for 45 miles, doing no more than 20 mph. I shook the entire way back and smoked about half a pack of cigarettes.

Now when I hear those warnings, I take em a little more seriously. If it's that bad, let 'em wait.
        Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
        George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Last Sunday we had 40 mile hr winds and dust storms

being Sunday, I was not working. It also messed with my allergies. I now tell people I will not drive in the wind. Even today the rig moves a bit on the freeway when another truck or car passes me. It didn't seem windy but the American flag and state flag were blowing pretty good as I saw them by the hotel I was approaching. No winds, no rain for me. We have enough good sunny days, so I tell people I will call and reschedule, or wait til the rain stops or the wind dies down. DO NOT risk it. It's dog fur, it can wait. LOL

Comment

Thanks guys, I feel better about re-scheduling now, knowing that others have done the same thing. My clients were very understanding about the situation and re-scheduled.

Comment

Blowin in the wind...

Hello!
              Here in Los Angeles, during a windy day I was traveling on the freeway approaching an overpass as my rooftop air conditioner was blown off my van! I got off the freeway and came to a stop when a "leftover" piece of the air conditioner slid down and slammed onto my hood! The guy in the car next to me freaked out as much as I did! LOL! To this day I still slightly duck when driving under overpasses on the freeway!

Comment

Originally posted by PlantLover View Post
                Hello!
                Here in Los Angeles, during a windy day I was traveling on the freeway approaching an overpass as my rooftop air conditioner was blown off my van! I got off the freeway and came to a stop when a "leftover" piece of the air conditioner slid down and slammed onto my hood! The guy in the car next to me freaked out as much as I did! LOL! To this day I still slightly duck when driving under overpasses on the freeway!
                Reminds me of the joke about two morons driving a big rig. Clearance needed to be 13' 6" & was only 12'. They let the air out of the tires & still no dice. One moron looks at the other moron and sez...

"I don't see any cops. Let's chance it."
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Working...
                X