Groomers van catches fire and explodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groomers van catches fire and explodes

I couldn't believe it when I read it and saw the pictures and am still just so shocked that this happened to a fellow groomer. I read and saw the pictures posted on another grooming forum and just haven't been able to get it off my mind. She had been in business 6 weeks the day it caught fire and thankfully she and her husband got out safely with the dogs. I am hoping we can all just send some positive thoughts and energy her way. And I have to say, groomers can be some of the most wonderful people. I have continued to read her thread and see how many people have sent extra equipment or money to help her out. Our industry never fails to amaze and impress me with all the people with such huge hearts in it. At this point no one is completely sure what happened, but when the van exploded it took out two cars that were near it. The pictures are shocking. The generator was not being used at the time, she is thinking it was the vehicle fuel line at this point. It made me realize I don't know how old the fire extinguishers are in my van so I will be replacing them all ASAP. Not that I think a fire extinguisher would have helped in this case, but still, made me think of my own safety. I don't think she is a member here but thought, she could use all the good energy she can get right now and the more people thinking of her and her family, the better.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

It wasn't me! LOL!

Show us a link, Mylady so we can send unwanted equipment, etc.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Give us a link??

Have not read about this. Did a brief search, saw nothing.

Do you have a link???

Comment

Hi Mylady! I came to this site to look at the used van listings and then noticed the recent posts and saw you were talking about me!
        Always a good idea mylady about the fire extinguishers but we had one and used it and a second one, but I think in our situation nothing would have helped. But do have one in your van and have it easily accessible, DH was able to quickly reach into to overhead and grab it.
        Some things I've learned:
        1. Have insurance or the correct insurance, the other parties that incurred damage were severely under insured.
        2. Again, have the correct insurance, don't think because you are new in business or even old that it can't happen to you, I'm proof positive.
        3. Have back up of your clients, keys and appointments, all of mine were in the van
        4. Be aware of what's going on outside the van, had my husband not been with me I would have had the stereo cranked up and wouldn't have heard people yelling at me that I was on fire. The fire was too bad for anyone to knock on the van.
        5. Keep your cell phone on your person, I didn't have a clue of any ones number to call, not even my son's.
        6. Don't do repairs yourself. If this turns out to be a faulty fuel line repair and we had done it ourselves, we'd be liable.
        7. And last but not least, that I'm very lucky to be alive and unharmed and that I belong to a great group of groomers that love, support, and encourage me each day.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that picture is so scary. Thank God everyone is ok. I hope you get up and running again soon.
          Carrie

Comment

Ncylou,

Glad you'r okay! What happens now? Will insurance take care of everything or is there a gap there?

Comment

Amazing. What was the cause? That was some explosion!

Comment

I am so sorry, I am sitting here with goosebumps.......I am so glad you and hubby are okay. I am just speechless.....I just wanted to send my thoughts and prayers......What happens now? Please let us know. I am so grateful for this website and all the wonderful people on it, it is full of wonderful people who care.

Comment

Wow that's terrible and what a blow.

It's been a few years but we had another mobile member here lose her van in an accident. While insurance replaces a vehicle, what about loss of income? If I can use this sad situation as a reminder, everyone self employed should think about carrying loss of income insurance for self employed. Ask your broker or agent. Perhaps the odds are a bit higher for mobile groomers because of accidents on the road, but I have seen gas explosions and fires take out shops, and having loss of income insurance at least gives you some income.

I hope your clientele understands and perhaps you can make the best of it with housecall until you get a replacement.

Comment

That is scary.

A few weeks ago I smelled strong gasoline smell when I started up the rig. Sure enough my brand new carborator was leaking gasoline in the fuel line. The gen guy found it and fixed it. It could have been a bad situation too. I have had loss of income insurance before but the questions were so lengthly and involved showing proof of daily grooms, expenses deducted etc on and on it never got settled and never any money from the company. They just were never satisfied like Uncle Sam is when filing taxes. They made it impossible to satisfy their qualifications to collect. I won't say which company it was, but it is the one with specific groomer insurance many of you have. The $500 vet insurance is worthless IMO because who injures a dog to that extent? I feel confidant, I would not. It is cheaper to pay a much smaller vet bill if it ever happened I would need to. Unfortunately, I think few cover all the equipment, down to scissors, and they refuse to replace the Biggest expense, the $5,000 gen. at full price or any price that would help replace it. IMO and experience, Insurance companies are not very willing to pay out for any damages. $500 deductables don't help much when the rig is hit and body work, tires etc need to be replaced. God forbid if it ever gets rear -ended where the gen is. By law I am well covered but don't expect them to pay much if I ever have a claim.

Comment

Do you know what caused the fire? I remember Jay Scruggs lost a van to a fire as well. I remember him saying it went fast too.

Comment

I'm getting 100% of what I lost in "personal property" even down to the cotton balls. Of course I had reciepts for most of it. Things like my clippers and blades and such, no, because they were purchase so long ago but I'll get full replacement value. I have a 500 deductiable except for fire and lightening, so zero. Loss of iincome, my adjuster is working on since I am so new in business and my records went with the van, but I can recreate most of it with bank records and such. Don't know if it will be worth it in the end. I groomed one of my mobile clients at the vet today and just so happens he's a lawyer and told me to keep records of what is happening now. I groomed him at the vet at a reduced rate and I only made 55% that difference is "loss of income" and in the event the repair shop is responsible I can seek recovery from them.
                        We think it was a bad repair of the fuel lline from the generator to the gas tank, we just had the work done the week prior. It is going in for a cause and orgin inspection through the insurance.
                        I work at a vet (employee) and also did this on weekends on my own but being new was still was moving most equipment from the vet to the van each weekend. So I had lost most everything to even work at the vet. I had to start calling Monday AM to have things overnighted to me to be back to work on Tuesday.
                        My van was paid for thank goodness, but a reminder to all that have a loan on their vans and even cars to carry gap insurance.

Comment

Thankfully you and your husband passerbys and the pets are safe and healthy. Thats the most important thing.

I have crazy thoughts running through my head all the time. What if situations...you never know.

I guess it will be a while before you find out what happened to the van.

Comment

So sorry

but grateful that you guys and dogs were not hurt or worse killed. You've given me another reason to be grateful to be grooming Housecall at peoples homes. I once had a car spontaneously catch on fire, parked in front of the Veterinarians office while I was inside. Some brave/fool man opened the hood and pulled the battery electric cables off and used his extinguisher so very little damage was done. It just can happen is the point. Best of luck to you. If you decide to do some housecall with your mobile clients till you get a Van, check out info here or ask me for any particulars.
                            Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Working...
                            X