X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all groomers moblie,shop or home

Just wondering what type of sharpening service you use

Do you:

Send your blades/shears to a mail in service sharpener?

Have a mobile van come to your shop/home/or mobile?

How much do you pay:

Blades: Shears:

A sharpener comes to me and sharpens my blades and shears right in his van. I've been using him for almost 4 years. He charges me $5 per blade and an average of $18 each.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I use Whitman Sharpening. They travel to dog shows and grooming shows which I catch them at whenever I need sharpening done.
      Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Funny You Shouls Ask.....

I have three pairs of scissors that I had done by my former hair stylists' sharpener. They are awful! I did NOT drop them yet they rub and are way off now. Not a coincidence that the straights and curves both are messed up and the thinners barely cut the bridge of the dogs' noses.

I HATE to be without them but I am going to contact Tim Love and send them to him. He is a quick turn around. I need to send off Sat so I will have them back the following week maybe Friday. I don't remember what he charges, but it is worth it to have them right. He advertises here you know. My scissors were not cheap all those years ago, but man, she really ruined them. They cut, but rub and are very out of adjustment and rub together. I have others, but you know we have our favs.

Comment

i get mine sharpened at dog shows, about 5$ per blade and 7$ for scissors
          I brought mine to someone who did it out of their home and they charged 8$ and the blades were not even sharpened.

Comment

I highly suggest you try Northern Tails. Jeff is very knowledge and qualified! His turn-around is fast, too. Jeff will do great job on your tools.

sittingpretty

Comment

For 30 years...if a blade got dull...I just threw it away. Yup. Pitched it and bought a new one. My experience w/ sharpeners was a complete waste of time and money. Total exercise in frustration and futility.

Enter Northern Tails (Jeff), and giving this sharpening thing one more shot last year. Absolutely amazing. I sent him every ****** blade that somehow escaped the trash can...and got back real, live, sharpened blades..that actually last. If it was truly trash...he let me know and saved me blade burial expenses.
              I am very cautious about recommending things in general...but I do recommend him. I forget what I paid, I sent him a LOT of blades, but it was extremely reasonable and very worth it.

Shears....Geib in Orlando gets my Geib and general shears...20.00 a pair. (+ shipping)
              My Kenchiis are somewhat new and I just sent them off to a "Kenchii Guy" and am paying him 20.00 a pair. (+ shipping)

Ooopsie Admin...didn't think that was a cuss word!
              Last edited by 4Sibes; 05-05-10, 10:16 PM. Reason: Apology for ****** language. :)
              Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I second Jeff from Northern Tails. I had them done by someone who didn't know what they were doing, then I saw Jeff advertised here and he fixed every last blade. He will also send you a cd you can watch on your computer about caring for your blades.

V

Comment

Thank you

for all that reply,the reason I was asking was because,my husband is going to be starting his own mobile sharpening company,he has been doing my blades/shears for a few years now, and I was just trying to get the groomers on here opinion of what type of method you use. But let me pose this question ,"If you did have a mobile sharpener service in your area and they where very good at their job "would you use them instead of the mail in service?.

Comment

Originally posted by desertdogs64 View Post
                    "If you did have a mobile sharpener service in your area and they where very good at their job "would you use them instead of the mail in service?.
                    Only on the recommendation of other groomers I knew and trusted. I'm tired of being my own guinea pig...it adds up, lol!

I am always VERY nervous about dropping my treasured blades and shears in the mail...I've seen the way those packages are tossed about.
                    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I use a mobile he does a great job, been doing my blades and shears for 18 to 20 years. 7 per blade and 20 for shears, Have had some real bad jobs on blades, if I didn't have Billy I would send them out.
                      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

My husband was thinking about doing the same but we don't have the money to get all the equipment to get him started. Anyway I was talking to a mobile sharpener once at a small groom seminar. He mentioned that it is hard to start out because if a groomer isn't happy they just stop using that shapener, that sharpener has no clue why because the groomer doesn't complain...just stops using them. The sharpener can't fix what he's doing wrong if he doesn't know there was a problem in how he was doing something.

I won't ship out because of one problem I had. I shipped a 40 blade & it came back missing a tooth. I was mad. Called the guy & he said it arrived with the missing tooth but he sharpened it anyway. Never used him again. He should have called me to tell me there was a missing teeth & if I still wanted it sharpened.

I had one mobile come to me & but all my blades ended up getting too hot even oiling them way more then I use to. Not sure what he did. I now wait for dog shows.

Shannon
                        The Soapy Puppy

Comment

Any pet groomer that dose not speak up

I know in the past if I had blades not done right,I made the guy re due them or would not pay him ,and most mobile sharpener guys ask you to try out the blades/shears on the spot when their still there.My hubby and I do plan to visit shows in the van or have a booth in a set up for show sharpening too.

Originally posted by Starshan View Post
                          My husband was thinking about doing the same but we don't have the money to get all the equipment to get him started. Anyway I was talking to a mobile sharpener once at a small groom seminar. He mentioned that it is hard to start out because if a groomer isn't happy they just stop using that shapener, that sharpener has no clue why because the groomer doesn't complain...just stops using them. The sharpener can't fix what he's doing wrong if he doesn't know there was a problem in how he was doing something.

I won't ship out because of one problem I had. I shipped a 40 blade & it came back missing a tooth. I was mad. Called the guy & he said it arrived with the missing tooth but he sharpened it anyway. Never used him again. He should have called me to tell me there was a missing teeth & if I still wanted it sharpened.

I had one mobile come to me & but all my blades ended up getting too hot even oiling them way more then I use to. Not sure what he did. I now wait for dog shows.

Shannon
                          The Soapy Puppy
                          Last edited by desertdogs64; 05-07-10, 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling,can't fix title

Comment

I use Chuck, from Midwest Grooming Supplies in Lake Barrington, IL. He ships all over the world, even clippers to soldiers in the desert. I'm very pleased with his scissor and blade sharpening. He is a wealth of info. and has all kinds of different products. I love asking what's new and being able to play with the new stuff.

Comment

Jeff at Northern Tails is the Man!!!!!

I just sent all my stuff to Jeff and I honestly believe everything cuts better than when purchased new. He is honest and straight forward. He called to talk with me about my blades, what type of clippers I used and which blades went on each clipper. I was expecting him to do the works on my Kenchii shears, but after inspecting he said all they needed was a sharpening since no nicks were found on the convex edges. Save me some money this time. Plus he sent me a Cd with all his new videos on it. Jeff rocks and my blades will not be touched by anyone else from here on out.

Comment

Working...
                              X