Non-groomer owning a mobile franchise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-groomer owning a mobile franchise

What do you think about someone that is NOT a groomer buying a franchise vs getting started themselves?

My friend, who shows springer spaniels and does groom her own dogs, is considering buying into the Aussie petmobile franchise or starting her own mobile grooming business (her running it, hiring groomers to actually groom the dogs.)

I was looking into a franchise biz before I knew how to groom, thinking that they would train me to groom. What was I thinking? Anyhow, the start up fee and the franchise fee seemed too much for me, so I didn't go throught that route. I finally took a grooming course and started working at home until I have enough confident, I bought a van. My van was from one of the franchiseres who owned three vans and sold them all 2 years ago. At that time I met 2 franchisers from Florida who went out of business. One guy is a dentist who thought having the franchise was a goomd investment. He didn't make it. Most important thing about non-groomer owning the grooming business is that you have to find very reliable groomers. You will have a tough time if your groomers don't have good personalities, can't communicate with clients and not reliable. That would be the biggest problems. As far as the Aussie vans go, I think they are decent. The set up may not be as nice as Hanvey's or Wagn'tails, but it is very efficient. I don't have any problems with mine. If I were your friend, I would learn to groom other breeds. There are good home -study or on line grooming courses out there that she can take. It's a good investment, then she should just do it herself. She will makes more money that way. From what I see, the most successful businesses are the owners/groomers. If she has a franchise or employees, she probably is going to have a whole fleet of vans in order to make a lot of money.

Comment

I checked that Aussie pet mobile webpage out. It appears to cost quite a bit , in fact more so than just buying a brand new converted van yourself. So what would the benefits be by going this route?

Comment

As I have seen not just in mobile but in salons as well the disadvantages to having a non-groomer owning a grooming business are:
        1- how will they recognize talent and skill? I have done a ****** job before and felt horrible and the owner was gushing over the good job.
        2- when money gets tight what will they scale back on? Quality products?
        3- when the groomer wants shampoo that costs $40 instead of the one that costs $25 will they buy since they don't understand the difference?

Lastly, from experience- it is very hard to turn a nice paycheck EVERY week if you yourself aren't grooming.

Comment

Originally posted by arlaede View Post

What do you think about someone that is NOT a groomer buying a franchise vs getting started themselves?
          I think it makes about as much sense as me buying an auto repair shop when I don't even know how to change the oil or replace a tail light.

Comment

Originally posted by ralla View Post
            I checked that Aussie pet mobile webpage out. It appears to cost quite a bit , in fact more so than just buying a brand new converted van yourself. So what would the benefits be by going this route?
            Personally, I don't see the benefit and am encouraging my friend to do it on her own. Luckily, she does breed & show springers, grooms them herself, and does understand at least some of the business. But I too can't see any benefit to going with the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post
              As I have seen not just in mobile but in salons as well the disadvantages to having a non-groomer owning a grooming business are:
              1- how will they recognize talent and skill? I have done a ****** job before and felt horrible and the owner was gushing over the good job.
              2- when money gets tight what will they scale back on? Quality products?
              3- when the groomer wants shampoo that costs $40 instead of the one that costs $25 will they buy since they don't understand the difference?

Lastly, from experience- it is very hard to turn a nice paycheck EVERY week if you yourself aren't grooming.

Excellent points. Going a bit OT here, but it makes me very thankful about the people I work for. They own the boutique. They are NOT groomers. I think the only way they know they have a talented groomer (me is because our clients are happy, come back again and again, and our #'s are WAY up from before. But, if they'd gotten someone who didn't do a good job over a year ago who knows where they would be now. And, when the #'s got tight slow season last year the owner started selling his own stuff on ebay and didn't insist on cutting anything in the grooming department (whew) course it helps that I am careful about what I push for too. And he's never argued with me when I've wanted better or different shampoo. Granted, unless the old shampoo was just awful I used it up first, and the awful stuff (mainly, chemically laden flea shampoo) was donated to a shelter. And when I wanted the Medicated shampoo from LaPooch we came up with a way to make it feasible.

I really appreciate your post!

Comment

Perhaps a better idea would be to invest in a mobile grooming business, someone who needs some working capital with a business already established. That is where I am right now. I have a booming business and in order to expand into another mobile salon I need working capital. I am just waiting now for the right time. There is a lot more to grooming than it appears. I would go to grooming school before you do anything else. Good Luck

Comment

Even if she hires a groomer, getting her business started on her own without the franchise would still make more sense. Working a mobile yourself is the best way to go though. IMHO.
                  What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Working...
                  X