Steep driveways...no more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steep driveways...no more!

No more backing down steep driveways in the grooming van. Its too heavy in the rear that my brakes stopped holding me & I just slid down a new clients pathed driveway upon leaving. Left tire marks lol. Client was use to it & warned me to drive on the left side because the right side has their power box which alot of people had hit before. Was a little scary to be sliding but I knew I was somewhat safe at the end because it was a gravel road & it was big & wide basicly 3 off shoots to other long driveways. Since its big & wide & fairly level at the bottom I will be parking down there & walking

Shannon
    The Soapy Puppy

I NEVER back out of any driveway with the least slope.

Way too risky. I try always to park in front of the house. I hate when a client tries to tell me where to park, or that it is ok when I know my rear where my precious Gen is on the drivers' side could be sideswiped. Never believe the client when they say you are clear above either. I hit a tree branch believing that, and ruined my A/C. It is your shop on wheels and your bread and butter. You have to park where you KNOW it will be safe. Lesson learned.

Comment

Parking Hazards

Oh my goodness. You mobiles have so many challenges! I am amazed with all you must do BESIDES grooming dogs.

sittingpretty

Comment

I always hit my hitch on one drive way that is steep.

Comment

Thats happened to me. Pretty scary! A few of my homes have diabolical steep driveways I won't go in. I just count it as exercise, walking my fat butt up and down them.

Comment

Same here, no steep driveways

or backing out onto a road I can't see...I even have a statement about that on my web site. You know, not every home is mobile groomer ready. there are just some locations that I have to say "No" too. I have one that I can get up in the drive but even with my clearange (which is more than some have) the back bumper still scrapes the road in and out. So, I just sort of pull in until I'm level and stop. the drive way is on a down hill but then the house it on an uphill. Hate that!

If I can't get in the drive, either due to parking limitations or the drive, I just park close and call the owner, they bring the pet to me. They can walk down their drive way, as I really don't (in most cases) want to leave my rig sitting by it's self. My one exception is when I do the little ladies at the assisted living facility. they have restricted basement parking, well heck the rig won't fit in that! I park across the street in the Pizza place's parking, as it's closed when I get there. But then so do a lot of the people that are going over to the AL place. So I guess that's pretty common for this place. So far in the last 2 years, not an issue. The rig is pretty visible, and no one else is around determined by the location and what else is nearby.

Comment

Yes lesson learned. I didn't even think. This was my first very steep driveway, the top looked flat is all I was thinking about. Owner didn't mention anything about driveway or where to park, most clients don't tell me where to park I just guess. Wrong guess this time lol. I will have hubby check my brakes & tires etc to make sure everything is good & it was just "that" steep. He was about to protest because I am a worry wort but I did say for "my peace of mind" & that shut him up.

Shannon
              The Soapy Puppy

Comment

Originally posted by Jenneversage64 View Post
                Never believe the client when they say you are clear above either. I hit a tree branch believing that, and ruined my A/C. .
                Yep! I've had that happen...luckily it just was my vent cover that got ruined. The customer just looked at me with a funny look on their face, lol!
                don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Originally posted by azoci View Post
                  or backing out onto a road I can't see...I even have a statement about that on my web site. You know, not every home is mobile groomer ready.
                  Azoci,
                  I looked on your website trying to see what you wrote about it & couldn't find it. What page is it? I do have a blip about parking on my site under FAQ but not many people look through that page.

Shannon
                  www.thesoapypuppy.com

Comment

Yup. Been there done that. My first year mobile grooming - it was winter. I went up this steep driveway and I didn't see it had black ice and I slid all the way back down. The van slid across the street (no cars driving by thank goodness) and it hit some bushes and I thought the van would topple over. In fact, I had nightmares about it falling over after that.

Second time was a flat driveway but was alongside a hill and when I went to park it my normal place it had black ice and I slid around and down the slop of trees backward. Do you know what a freaky feeling it is to slide backwards down a hill of trees in your van? I knew I wasn't going to get hurt because I wasn't going fast but I thinking OMFG, my van is done for! My luck came when this tiny little tree stopped the van from sliding all the way down to the bottom. Three days later the AAA truck finally got it out - it was Christmastime too.

No more after that but one house I went to was waaay down a bumpy, windy, tree trunk growing dirt road that twisted past a lake to her house. I called her and told her I wasn't going down there and she said it was safe because her FOUR WHEELER does it all the time. I said no. If she wants to take the dog up to me fine, if not - sorry but no can do. She brought the dog to me.

Comment

Update

My hubby put it off checking the brakes. Had a few days off with a wind storm in there that caused the power to go out, used the van inverter to power the 5 fish tanks & house lights all night. Used enough power to do one to 2 dogs, that's it. Was pretty cool.

So wednesday I drove down a big hill, its a 45mph road so I was braking to keep the right speed & not fly down the hill. The brakes didn't feel good so I really got on hubby's case. He turned the wheels & looked, right away he says yep they need to be changed. So thursday I had 2 dogs but no big hills except for freeway ones that aren't bad. Brakes seemed fine but I wasn't having to really use them. After the 2 dogs I got the brake pads & hubby took rotor in to be turned. The rotor is on its last turning, I get to buy those next time at over $100 ea. My brake pads had like 5% left, not much. So this morning I got my van back on the road. Not liking the brake smell as they get broke in though, had to go to a client this afternoon that was up & down some good windy hills so boy did they smell.

So how often do most mobiles have their brake pads changed?

Shannon
                      The Soapy Puppy
                      Last edited by Starshan; 05-07-10, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I've had my van over 2 years and just did the brakes a few weeks ago. No one around here will turn rotors anymore so for front brake pads and rotors it was $300.
                        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I bought my 15 year old personal vehicle from a guy friend of mine. He's not real mechanical. When I told him the brakes went out 4 days after I started driving the car he got offended and said, "NO way! those are the ORIGINAL brakes that came with that car and I have babies them like I have babied EVERYTHING on that car!" In his defense he gave me a file folder 3 inches thick with all the maintenance records...brakes were not among them.
                          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
                            I've had my van over 2 years and just did the brakes a few weeks ago. No one around here will turn rotors anymore so for front brake pads and rotors it was $300.
                            Wow, around here almost every Auto Parts store will turn them. They almost wouldn't turn mine because they are close to being done. If they had been worped they wouldn't have because that would have taken more & the rotor didn't have enough material to do that. I will be saving for that cost. My pad's we got for $21.

These brakes were good when we bought the van 1.5yrs ago. A year ago we checked the brakes after we took it camping & about burned them up going through the mountains without tranny fluid (it leaked out) down hill. They lasted on month shy of a year after that lol. So once a year check them & possibly change every 2yrs?

Shannon
                            The Soapy Puppy

Comment

Working...
                            X